Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by mgsports »

Cabela's Excess Land is Contract Pending. Grander Mountain or Sports Men's Wearhouse would be good.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mgsports wrote: Cabela's Excess Land
Is this like an amusement park or something? 
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Maybe like some more Commercial.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

cityscape wrote: Schlitterbahn is doubling the size of the water park in KCK for 2011 according to the business journal.

Still no STAR dollars being pulled from Kansas.  They said attendance for 2010 was higher than anticipated and they drew visitors from all 50 states.  This can only be a very positive sign for the metro.  I know many thought Schlitterbahn would fail and that they wouldn't expand, but it looks like they were dead wrong!

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... nsion.html
but their construction timeline is still years behind...no?

i'd like to see Schlitterbahn fully built out because it'd be good for the entire metro in attracting new dollars. i'm concerned the expansion won't be enough to push them to the next level.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Correct.  They have not started building the indoor water park or the resort/retail portion yet.  I imagine they need to start on the retail fairly soon in order to get Scheels locked in.  If they do build this out fully as initially planned it would obviously be much better for the region.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

cityscape wrote: Correct.  They have not started building the indoor water park or the resort/retail portion yet.  I imagine they need to start on the retail fairly soon in order to get Scheels locked in.  If they do build this out fully as initially planned it would obviously be much better for the region.
Great Wolf's debt was just downgraded yesterday. Not sure if that bodes well for Schlitterbahn building indoors, at least in the current economic climate.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

cityscape wrote: Correct.  They have not started building the indoor water park or the resort/retail portion yet.  I imagine they need to start on the retail fairly soon in order to get Scheels locked in.  If they do build this out fully as initially planned it would obviously be much better for the region.
Scheels' planned store in KC was pulled from their web site some time ago.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

trailerkid wrote: Scheels' planned store in KC was pulled from their web site some time ago.
There's a shocker.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

KCMax wrote: Somehow I doubt the expansion will be "for 2011". Maybe doubling the prices.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... ily46.html

Can we believe ANYTHING these people say anymore? It's like they periodically toss out a meaningless press release, only to later retrench and delay their plans. Very discouraging.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mistervinix wrote: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... ily46.html

Can we believe ANYTHING these people say anymore? It's like they periodically toss out a meaningless press release, only to later retrench and delay their plans. Very discouraging.
What part of this: "Siebert said much of the schedule for full completion of the massive water park depends on the economy and how quickly the project lands retail tenants. He said he hadn’t seen a date for anticipated final completion."  was misleading or unreasonable? 
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: What part of this: "Siebert said much of the schedule for full completion of the massive water park depends on the economy and how quickly the project lands retail tenants. He said he hadn’t seen a date for anticipated final completion."  was misleading or unreasonable? 

Actually, I was referring to the statement that they would break ground on the Scheels store and the Riverwalk area "this summer". Didn't happen. But I really do hope they don't scale back the plans, as it seems a really unique project for KC.
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

what is the deal here?
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Thank you very much for contacting Scheels.com.  Due to some unforeseen
circumstances with the proposed development in Kansas City, the landlord
and Scheels were not able to put a plan in action as originally proposed,
and as a result we have removed that project from our expansion plans. We
hope to be able to find something else in this market in the future.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

$5 million here, $5 million there... at this pace it'll take another 20 years for the whole thing to be finished. I'm really wanting them to build what they originally promised, but it just seems like they keep whittling away at that plan. No Scheels now, either.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mistervinix wrote: $5 million here, $5 million there... at this pace it'll take another 20 years for the whole thing to be finished. I'm really wanting them to build what they originally promised, but it just seems like they keep whittling away at that plan. No Scheels now, either.
5 million dollars will double the size of the park? huh?

Winter weather may delay construction?  Hell, they just announced it today, by the time thy start moving dirt, winter will on its way out. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mistervinix wrote: $5 million here, $5 million there... at this pace it'll take another 20 years for the whole thing to be finished. I'm really wanting them to build what they originally promised, but it just seems like they keep whittling away at that plan. No Scheels now, either.
Didn't the financing fall apart with the economic crash? Without a way of financing a complete build-out it's going to just go piece by piece like a normal development. Scheels wasn't really a good fit out there anyway.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Schlitterbaun is a joke and every time I read a story about it, the joke become more and more legit.

5 million?  The place needs that much in improvements to the damn entrance which looks like you are entering a trailer park.
dmtony
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dmtony »

I'm glad that, considering the economy, Schlitterbahn had a good enough year last year to move forward with any development this year. It will still be good for the area.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

First new map with the $5 million in improvements.  Nearly doubling the size of the park and if you read the blog below (some of the comments) you'll see that this new addition will eventually be partially covered indoors (although not part of this phase of construction).  Schlitterbahn is happening slowly but so far it is ALL private money which has to be applauded in this day and age.  I'm sure they're waiting on the economy to improve before the start the next major phase of retail, hotel, and indoor water park to ask for their STAR bonds.  EDIT:  Note that this new section isn't expected to be open until mid June.

www.schlitterblog.com