Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by LindseyLohan »

zonk wrote: it'd be cool to see some aerial of this project...
ditto. but where could we get these? anyone forumers with a helicopter???
valcour
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by valcour »

zonk wrote: it'd be cool to see some aerial of this project...
It's probably available through Google Earth.  Their mapping is amazing, particularly the street view stuff.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

valcour wrote: It's probably available through Google Earth.  Their mapping is amazing, particularly the street view stuff.
They wont update that very quickly at all. Probably wont be updated for another few years.
valcour
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by valcour »

KansasCityCraka wrote: They wont update that very quickly at all. Probably wont be updated for another few years.
You're right - the current satellite picture is from June, 2005.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

This sounds like a lot of fun...
Schlitterbahn Waterparks has built its patented “Torrent Tidal Wave River” at other attractions it owns. It has never built one that’s 1,620 feet long, but it will here.
It is scheduled for operation next year when Schlitterbahn opens the first phase of its waterpark resort in western Kansas City, Kan.
http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/812580.html
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
the_shadow
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by the_shadow »

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Here is a video of the progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GZs5hltAw
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

I also heard that some of the park will be a retrackable roof????
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

the_shadow wrote: http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/832335.html

They say they are on schedule.
According to an article yesterday in the Star, someone at Entertainment Properties Trust (whoever owns the AMC real estate) who is loaning money to Shlitterbahn described the project as "disabled" and doubted it would open in '09.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

trailerkid wrote: According to an article yesterday in the Star, someone at Entertainment Properties Trust (whoever owns the AMC real estate) who is loaning money to Shlitterbahn described the project as "disabled" and doubted it would open in '09.
totally amazing that all of the wyco cheerleaders on the board did not pick up on this.

hehe.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

kcdcchef wrote: totally amazing that all of the wyco cheerleaders on the board did not pick up on this.

hehe.
Way to look out for the good of the Metro. Nice work.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Brain described the Schlitterbahn Vacation Village project being pursued in western Wyandotte County as “disabled.” His firm is loaning $81.6 million to the venture, and he had doubts it would open in 2009 as promised by the developer.
The question is:  Is the Waterpark considered separate from the vacation village or part of it?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

NDTeve wrote: Way to look out for the good of the Metro. Nice work.
i am. shiny new things built in cornfields only create more blight in eastern jacko and northern platte county as the sprawl continues to go south and west. no thanks, refurbish areas already heavily populated. not create more shit.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcdcchef wrote: i am. shiny new things built in cornfields only create more blight in eastern jacko and northern platte county as the sprawl continues to go south and west. no thanks, refurbish areas already heavily populated. not create more shit.
I'd argue it would be much more expensive to refurbish OOF to be what this new Schlitterbahn is supposed to be, than to build new.  Some things just aren't worth saving.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

kcmetro wrote: I'd argue it would be much more expensive to refurbish OOF to be what this new Schlitterbahn is supposed to be, than to build new.  Some things just aren't worth saving.
i am not talking about saving oof maitre d, oh wait, whoops, you are logged in as kcmetro right now. my bad ~~ sorry. anyways, i am talking about how putting more and more crap in western wyco while the urban core of kck rots to shit, and yeah, other regional attracions will wilter as well. oof may or may not be one of them.

remember fairyland? you too young?? beautiful old trolley line amusement park in skc. man, it was something. boardwalk, classical amusement park rides, ( ferris wheel, tilt a whirl, bumper cars ) really reminded me of coney island. worlds of fun opened, shiny and new and in a field no less, and within 5 years, fairyland closed its doors. those doors were closed for 10 years before we finally removed most of the roller coaster to relo it to oklahoma city. and that ONLY happened thanks to A.C.E. getting it on their sbno list and working tirelessly to get it moved. 12 years after park closed, the wildcat got removed. it took another 10 years after that for the sign at the front entrance, in a weeded asphalt lot, to get removed. 3 more years passed before the remaining structures from old bumper cars, shooting gallery, etc, were FINALLY torn out. 20 years passed before it was finally redone. 20. 20 years it sat as ruins.

will oof and or wof meet that fate? probably not. but they could. and other retail areas die and turn into shit because we ( well, you wyco cheerleaders ) worship shiny and new in suburbia. if you need evidence of this, see bannister mall, or blue ridge mall, or one in your beautiful backyard of wyco, indian springs. these places SUCK nowadays. and you are right, it is cheaper to build new. no shit. it is called creating blight. you seem to be okay with that. i personally, am not. hell, i miss fairyland.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I'm sure this would work perfect in the middle of KCK. Why not put it on Quindaro.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: i am. shiny new things built in cornfields only create more blight in eastern jacko and northern platte county as the sprawl continues to go south and west. no thanks, refurbish areas already heavily populated. not create more shit.
Heavily populated areas like TSC and WOF!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: Heavily populated areas like TSC and WOF!
neither area is heavily populated, never said either were. if you were indeed some sort of mod, you would not log in simply to type stupid shit like that. i hate losing current attractions to create more blight. you, are fine with creating more eyesores ( empty stadiums or overgrown lots with weeds )

personally, i am against that. you and metro are for it. got it. and thanks for the lessons on good posting, much appreciated max.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

kcdcchef wrote: neither area is heavily populated, never said either were. if you were indeed some sort of mod, you would not log in simply to type stupid shit like that. i hate losing current attractions to create more blight. you, are fine with creating more eyesores ( empty stadiums or overgrown lots with weeds )

personally, i am against that. you and metro are for it. got it. and thanks for the lessons on good posting, much appreciated max.
I guess you technically didn't say that, but:
sure sounds like you mean to imply it.  Anyway, if this were slated to go into an inner burb area or maybe the Indian Springs area, it would be great- but the reality is that it is not- it is going to western WyCo, and, from the point of view of the unified government, if you can get a major development in your county, you take it. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Why would Schlit kill WOF or even OOF?  I would think it would help them.  KC has not been a regional draw for a decade, Schlit should help KC get some of that back.

The location is what it is.  It would not have gone anyplace else.

Sad thing is KCK is still a total dump.  I don't base my opinion of KCK via anything out by the speedway, just like I don't form an opinion on KCMO by what is at 135th and State Line or 152 and Flintlock.

KCK is a hole, period, regardless of what is happening out by Bonner Springs and that's sad because I don't think it has to be that way.