Olathe's "The New Village" traditional homes

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Has anybody seen this area? It's new traditional single family and attached homes on the western fringe of Olathe. Although relatively small (12 acres) compared to the huge master planned communities getting built in Lee's Summit, Independece, and KCNorth, I believe they are a little further along in construction.

Anyway, it looks kinda cool. Any of our Kansas forumers with nothing better could post some pics ;). Any thoughts on this development?

KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I looked at a couple of models last weekend during the new homes tour. They do have some nice architectual features inside and out, and a lot of space in some of the floor plans, but there were a lot of negatives, too. For example, none seemed to have a backyard, and considering that this development appears to be catering to families, that's probably going to turn off a lot of buyers.

Right now, there are about a dozen homes completed or almost complete. The rest of the development is empty lots and mud. So to move there, you'd have to believe that it really will look like a neighborhood when it's all done.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

This looks similar to many new housing developments in Southern California. Here they will mix styles, such as colonial, French, Spanish, Craftsman, Victorian, Farmhouse, etc. in the same development. Front porches are big as well with houses being built closer to the street. This is supposed to make the neighborhood more walkable and pedestrian-friendly. Garages are usually in back with access from an alley or a driveway that goes between the houses.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Columbia, Mo., has a planned development called Cherry Hill. (See www.villageofcherryhill.com.) One big difference between Cherry Hill and the New Village at Prairie Haven is that Cherry Hill's developers included shops and other businesses. Maybe that's also in NV@PH's long-term plan, but at CH, the commercial part of the project was started the same time as the residential part. To me, the nice part about doing them simultaneously is that even when the community is only half-built, it already feels as if it's a semi-established neighborhood, thanks to the draw of the bakery, insurance agent, coffee shop, etc. But that's just my opinion.

Of course, the irony of all these "new urbanism" communities here and around the country is that the developers are trying to recreate what KC has had for decades: neighborhoods such as those around Prairie Village shops. I guess that J.C. Nichols really was a visionary.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KC0KEK wrote: none seemed to have a backyard, and considering that this development appears to be catering to families, that's probably going to turn off a lot of buyers.
One of the basic goals of new urbanism is that people use their front porch and the common green space, rather than staying in their own back yard.
KC0KEK wrote: Of course, the irony of all these "new urbanism" communities here and around the country is that the developers are trying to recreate what KC has had for decades: neighborhoods such as those around Prairie Village shops. I guess that J.C. Nichols really was a visionary.
Regardless of the irony, it's great that developers and planners are starting to the realize the shortcomings current suburban development patterns and the value of traditional neighborhood designs. The planners of Shoal Creek Valley and New Longview both spent a lot of time researching areas like Brookside and the Plaza. Most of these projects are in the Northland and Eastern Jack, so it's good to see one coming to Joco as well.

Here is some info I found on this project: http://www.vicapplebaum.com/newvillage.htm

It doesn't say anything about mixed use, but the diagram seems to show an area at one end that could be commercial or retail.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

dangerboy wrote:
KC0KEK wrote: none seemed to have a backyard, and considering that this development appears to be catering to families, that's probably going to turn off a lot of buyers.
One of the basic goals of new urbanism is that people use their front porch and the common green space, rather than staying in their own back yard.
Right. But look closely at the photos at the top of this thread. Those porches are barely big enough for a small lawn chair, let alone room for a family to congregate out there. That was one of the first things that I noticed during the tour: A few of the houses had big porches, as you'd expect in a new urbanism development, but most didn't.
winzey
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

New Village next to Old Dump

Post by winzey »

I toured those same homes during LAST YEAR'S home tour. Selling like hotcakes, aren't they.

The main problem with this development is it's location. It is buried among older, run-down neighborhoods in an area of eastern Olathe that is not in high demand.

Another negative mark against the development: It was build less than one mile from the old Olathe City Dump. I can remember going down that same road 10 years ago to dump off waste at the Olathe Transfer station.

The builder (a realtor) did a poor construction job. I remember touring the homes wondering who did the drywall, painting and millwork - because all were in poor shape.

I agree with the new urbanism style/theme - but it has to be located in the right area (Quality Hill, Beacon Hill, etc), or it will look completely out of place.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I noticed the subpar construction, too. Even minor stuff, such as rough corners on the walls and variations in the paint shade on a single wall, makes me wonder if corners got cut in places I can't see, where it really counts.