Lenexa CityCenter

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Lenexa CityCenter

Post by kanasalumn »

GuyInLenexa wrote: Is the one on Lackman and College still there?  When I lived in Lenexa I always went to the one on 87th by Tanner's.
yea the Quizno's is on Lackman and COllege still.  It is only open during nearby business hours, close about 6pm and depends sometimes open on Saturdays.  that is why I am looking forward to the one open at City Center
Lenexan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Lenexan »

Funny, four years ago I moved into an apartment near City Center, excited about the plans for it.  Four years later, they've now finally built a couple buildings in City Center East but now there is a delay in building them.  They're FINALLY starting to move dirt in the Lenexa City Center area and North looks to be SLOWLY moving along.

Still, there is no excuse for this project moving so slowly.  Now, four years later, I'm moving further west to Woodland Road, because stuff is actually happening there.  I am not the only one -- I have a friend who talks to those associated with the planning and they are sensitive when anyone dare ask about the slowness of the project.

City center is a great idea, but if I'm going to be 55 (low 30's now) before it's done, what is the point? 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mistervinix wrote: A friend of a friend said that Target and a new Dickinson theater are eventually coming to this development. The theater would replace Dickinson's West Glen. I think a more likely site for these would be further west near K7.
It appears your friend is right. The theater looks like it'll anchor the SW side. The theater will be a big hit...the closest megaplex is miles and miles away (Merriam? or Olathe?) with the depressing Westglen shuttered. 

I still have to give this site plan a great big WTF! It's like Corbin Park, but with the retail wrapped around parking.

Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I can't believe that traffic circle is bordered by a...2 story parking structure (building 'A').  Wouldn't at least some retail have been better there?
Last edited by Midtownkid on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

what's up with all those traffic circles?

Who is Klover?  Not to impressed with the site plan.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Another sprawled development with acres of parking. Wonderful. Very forward thinking!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Another sprawled development with acres of parking. Wonderful. Very forward thinking!
You think thats sprawled - the rendering doesn't show the massive single family golf course community that will link up with the back of the development. 
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KCMax wrote: Another sprawled development with acres of parking. Wonderful. Very forward thinking!
I guess this is what happens when there isn't a viable alternative to private transportation i.e. zero adequate public transportation.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Pork Chop wrote: I guess this is what happens when there isn't a viable alternative to private transportation i.e. zero adequate public transportation.
That is a factor, but that hasn't stopped other developments in JoCo from being more dense and walkable.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

I don't know.  All the parking structures are 4 or 5 levels and most are wrapped by buildings.  The only spot with significant surface parking is around the "major tennant" building.  So, unless you are going to have tall garages peeking out over shorter buildings, all those office over retail spaces must be at least 3 stories.  For a community like Lenexa, it seems relatively dense.

As for the traffic circles, Renner has gone haywire with the things.  There's one every block.  For what was originally the main N-S thoroughfare through there its darn near unnavigable.  Maybe they are trying to push the "thru traffic" over to 435.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

What kind of Retail were you looking for because the Site Plan doesn't say what's coming just what Types and not like Target and so on?
Their's a Movie in Shawnee and by Oak Park Mall to.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mgsports wrote: What kind of Retail were you looking for because the Site Plan doesn't say what's coming just what Types and not like Target and so on?
FYI...word is that Dickinson will shutter Westglen for the new Lenexa theater and the Oak Park AMC is closed.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

jimb wrote: I don't know.  All the parking structures are 4 or 5 levels and most are wrapped by buildings.  The only spot with significant surface parking is around the "major tennant" building.  So, unless you are going to have tall garages peeking out over shorter buildings, all those office over retail spaces must be at least 3 stories.  For a community like Lenexa, it seems relatively dense.

As for the traffic circles, Renner has gone haywire with the things.  There's one every block.  For what was originally the main N-S thoroughfare through there its darn near unnavigable.  Maybe they are trying to push the "thru traffic" over to 435.
Those roundabouts (not traffic circles) are so annoying....

There is something about this area that just says.  Not urban.

I think it's massive right of way the roads have and the even more massive right of way that I-435 takes up in this area.

It's just so damn spread out.  The footprint of 435 and the interchanges out there are about 4 times the normal size of an urban interstate or interchange.

Too much grass and too much open land that will never develop.

I think this is a decent project, but the area is just so spread out.  It's makes I-29 and Barry seem like the east coast.

It's good they are trying though.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote:
It's just so damn spread out.  The footprint of 435 and the interchanges out there are about 4 times the normal size of an urban interstate or interchange.

It's good they are trying though.
I've not been too impressed with New Urbanism in KC.  The developments are essentially cordoned off from the surrounding neighborhoods by wide and busy streets and almost always located near interstates for traffic reasons.  The interstates here and at Zona Rosa are more effective than the Berlin War as a pedestrian barrier.  That pretty much compromises the entire purpose of "urbanism".  They need traffic to survive but the traffic corridors destroys the urban concept.  I give them cudos for making an effort to build structured parking  and I think they should altogether do away with the surface parking (except for the angled parking on the streets).  Nice to see at least a little residential. 

Does Zona Rosa have residential?  I know that was in the plans but just wondering if it ever came about.
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Highlander wrote: I've not been too impressed with New Urbanism in KC.  The developments are essentially cordoned off from the surrounding neighborhoods by wide and busy streets and almost always located near interstates for traffic reasons.  The interstate here and at Zona Rosa is more effective than the Berlin War as a pedestrian barrier.  That pretty much compromises the entire purpose of "urbanism".  They need traffic to survive but the traffic corridors destroys the urban concept.  I give them cudos for making an effort to build structured parking  and I think they should altogether do away with the surface parking (except for the angled parking on the streets).  Nice to see at least a little residential. 

Does Zona Rosa have residential?  I know that was in the plans but just wondering if it ever came about.
That's why I had such high hopes for Mission.  That seems like an area that would have the natural ability to integrate into the neighborhood as would NU along Metcalf.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

I've never seen so much whining about roundabouts.  Why would you want regular intersections instead of them?  They're actually much safer than intersections and look a hell of a lot better than a bunch of traffic lights.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Except that people don't know how to use them and they end up working like scary stop signs.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

mgsports wrote: What kind of Retail were you looking for because the Site Plan doesn't say what's coming just what Types and not like Target and so on?
The Oak Park Plaza theater has been torn down for almost a year. The small retail center that was supposed to replace it and open this fall has yet to materialize. I agree that the West Glen is depressing, but it was very nice when it was new (in '95?). Dickinson blew it by adding on 6 screens. Hopefully the one they would build in Lenexa would at least be as nice as the Palazzo in Overland Park.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

phxcat wrote: Except that people don't know how to use them and they end up working like scary stop signs.
Fair enough, it's a different concept in traffic control than most Americans are used to,  but when we finally get the hang of it, they are much better than traffic signals.  The only time I have real problems with them is at a major intersection with several lanes of traffic in all directions, then they become kind of tricky because you have to cross lanes within the round-a-bout. 
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

They need to rebuild one by Oak Park Mall is what I mean.