Lenexa CityCenter

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Lenexa CityCenter

Post by warwickland »

honestly, i wouldnt mind seeing that "grassy open space" instead as accessible park space: an amenity. it seems to be on the right track, i would hope to see the plans evolve.
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

warwickland wrote: honestly, i wouldnt mind seeing that "grassy open space" instead as accessible park space: an amenity. it seems to be on the right track, i would hope to see the plans evolve.
Are you referring to the circular grassy area on the East Village plans?  If so I think the size of that area is a bit misleading.  That grassy is really not all that big.  Also there will be plenty of open grassy areas within the plan.  The North Village will have a large green space with ampitheatre and fountains similar to those at Crown Center.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

sounds like the same project?

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/433439.html
Lenexa wants a civic center with space for a library, classrooms and recreational facilities. Whether those plans are realized will depend on whether the city can enlist the aid of several governmental groups.

The proposed civic center is seen by Lenexa as a joint venture with other entities, such as the Johnson County Library and Johnson County Community College. The city hopes the groups will take part in the project by providing funding and programming.

Lenexa wants to build the civic center at 87th Street Parkway and Renner Boulevard in a 203-acre development that would feature shops, office space and condominiums.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

Sounds like they are hoping the broader development ("Lenexa City Center") will include a government building ("civic center") with lots of different facilities.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Based on the mailings I received when I lived in Lenexa, 90,000 s.f. of the project was set for civic uses.
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

I had always heard that the City of Lenexa was going to put city hall in the Lenexa City Center development.  I do know that the city of Lenexa has been very strict with this project.  They want this development to look and feel a certain way.  A lot of plans have been redesigned.
Last edited by jsstuber on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

jsstuber wrote: I had always heard they the City of Lenexa was going to put city hall in the Lenexa City Center development.  I do know that the city of Lenexa has been very strict with this project.  They want this development to look and feel a certain way.  A lot of plans have been redesigned.
Sounds like an interesting mix of government and retail/entertainment.  Sugarland Texas (Houston suburb) put their city hall in a similar new urbanism project.  I was not too impressed by Sugarland Town Center on my visit (as compared to e.g., Zona Rosa), but it was an improvement over the status quo of mile upon mile of strip malls and pedestrian unfriendly streetscapes so ubiquitous in the Houston area. 

http://www.sugarlandtownsquare.com/Default.aspx
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Southlake Town Center http://www.southlaketownsquare.com/ NE of Fort Worth has a city hall and post office in it also. 
Phase I of the Lenexa City Center project will not have that much retail in it.  Only about 135,000 s.f. plus a theater complex and a hotel.  Unlike Zona Rosa, it will not be that big of a regional retail hub initially.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

I doubt the city can justify relocating City Hall to City Center...the existing municipal building isn't very old and is still very nice.  I believe the only (quietly) planned pseudo-govt tenant is the Chamber/EDC/CVB and perhaps a small satellite police station to serve western Lenexa.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

It looks like it is being considered:

http://www.kansascity.com/318/story/420395.html

In time, it will probably be the geographical center of the city with all the development west of I435.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

noticed some buildings are up now, what are those buildings by the apartments going to be?
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

Mixed use, office space, parking garage (2 levels), condos (3 or 4 levels), Paddy O'Quiggleys, Java Stop and Quiznos.  Not sure what else is going in.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

I can not wait for Paddy's  wondering if there will be a Grocery store in the other corner where they are moving some land
jsstuber
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jsstuber »

I doubt there will be a grocery store anytime soon.  I beleive it was mentioned, but, I think it would be a small one, maybe like the Hen House in the Village.  If one is put in I think they were talking about it going in the North Village area and not the East Village.
question
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by question »

im pretty excited.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

kanasalumn wrote: noticed some buildings are up now, what are those buildings by the apartments going to be?
I have driven by several times, the project looks pretty good, better than I expected.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

KCK wrote: I have driven by several times, the project looks pretty good, better than I expected.
A friend of a friend said that Target and a new Dickinson theater are eventually coming to this development. The theater would replace Dickinson's West Glen. I think a more likely site for these would be further west near K7.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

mistervinix wrote: A friend of a friend said that Target and a new Dickinson theater are eventually coming to this development. The theater would replace Dickinson's West Glen. I think a more likely site for these would be further west near K7.
Whats wrong with Westglen?

I guess Westglen was built just a year or so before the newer style theaters with better seating, sound, etc. I guess I'm just getting old because I remember when it opened.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I didn't realize the project was that far along - someone take photos please!!
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

KCK wrote: Whats wrong with Westglen?

I guess Westglen was built just a year or so before the newer style theaters with better seating, sound, etc. I guess I'm just getting old because I remember when it opened.
In Westglenn on Sundays there is a church there, and also in one of the old theatres in Westglenn has a Martial Arts school in it.  I can see why they want to replace it