Sunday Liquor EVERYWHRE!!!

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

StL_Dan wrote:
KCNorthlander wrote:Interesting article Stl_Dan, I guess something good can come from Olathe ;) The website doesn't work though, and I did some exploring on the net and it looks like the brewry closed down?!
I realized the link didn't work AFTER I posted it......real cool, huh? Sorry, I won't waste everybodies time like that again. Simple laziness kept me from editing my post to take it out. Oh well.

I'll roll by Burch St soon and find out what the deal is and report back.

Have any of you been to their restaurant.....Barley's Brewwhatever at 119th and Quivira that was mentioned in the article? I have not.
Nope I actually had not heard of it until I read that article. Wish I had though. Let me know what you find out. It's too bad they didn't put it downtown. A regional brewry/restaurant is exactly what is needed downtown. Does Blvd have a restaurant like that? If not, they should consider putting one in the SoLo district.

KC, let us know what Boulevard says about the beer fest. I'll be back in KC in a second if they host it :)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I think there are 2 or 3 Barleys in Joco. I've been to one somewhere way out west by a Dickinson megaplex. The huge amount of beers on tap was really cool, but otherwise it was just your average generic suburban bar and suburban frat crowd. I'll take River Marke or McCoys any day.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Here in CA we get a lot of different West Coast micro brews and even a few from Colorado. But so far, no Boulevard. I still think Blvd. is the best of all microbrews. It had to be one of the first too, wasn't it? I remember when I came back from Germany in 1990 how awful Amreican beer tasted. Then I found Blvd. and all was right with my world.

I did a photo story for a photo journalism class in '93 of the Boulevard Brewery so I've had the full tour. As I recall, the owner had spent time living in France and travelling Europe. He liked European beer so much that he got the idea to buy some of the actual European (I think it was German) brewing equipment and come back to his hometown and brew beer. Not too long after that all the other micro brews started popping up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Blvd will never come as far as Cali....it prides itself as a regional brewery....even has ads that say "proudly not served in 42 states" or some number like that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

DanCa wrote:Here in CA we get a lot of different West Coast micro brews and even a few from Colorado. But so far, no Boulevard.
Boulevard focuses on being a local/regional brewery and purposefully limits their distribution to the Midwest. They don't want to expand nationally, so don't look for them in Cali anytime soon. :(
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Nor TX :(
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here is their current distribution map....not sure it will ever expand past this....although I thought I read the other day that they were starting to distribute in Colorado.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

dangerboy wrote:I'll take River Marke or McCoys any day.
The fish and chips at River Market Brewery kick....umm.....butt. Nice ambience/location too.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

DanCa wrote:As I recall, the owner had spent time living in France and travelling Europe. He liked European beer so much that he got the idea to buy some of the actual European (I think it was German) brewing equipment and come back to his hometown and brew beer. Not too long after that all the other micro brews started popping up.
If memory from my tour of AB in StL, this was, in a nutshell, how and why Adolphus Busch began his "microbrewery" in StL. German beer is AB's inspiration.

BTW, the fresh Budweiser served in the hospitality room after the AB tour is friggin' awesome.....nectar of the gods in my book.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KC wrote:Here is their current distribution map....not sure it will ever expand past this....although I thought I read the other day that they were starting to distribute in Colorado.

Unf! Coors better recognize.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

response from Blvd. about the beer fest idea:
Thanks. We have thought of this idea in the past. The time commitment was an issue as well as the funds. Maybe in the next few years...

Cheers!

Liz Olivarez

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Cool!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

The Olathe city council has postponed any further action to determine if liquor sales should be made legal until after the state of Kansas determines if a statewide lift on the ban should be put in place.

Kansas will make this determination later this month. The City of Olathe will look at it's options after that.

Apparently, there are mixed thoughts on the City Council regarding this matter. Those in favor of lifting the ban think that not lifting the ban would make local businesses less competitive with their competitors elsewhere in Jo Co where licker sales are now legal.

Money is everything.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Isn't Kay O'Conner from Olathe...shouldn't she be saying something about these old, antiquated laws that have no relevance in today's society? I mean she speaks out on suffrage, why not other stupid old laws.

DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I think Kay O'Connor would more likely be for state-wide prohibition 7 days a week.

I read yesterday that the 3.2 grocery store beer sales are under some other law so if Sunday liquor store sales were permitted, grocery store still couldn't sell their beer on Sundays. Who came up with these nutty laws in Kansas? It's practically as bad as Utah.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Remember that she is anti-suffrage. :?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I say legalize Sunday liquor sales everywhere in JOCO except for Olathe. We're suppose to seperate the church from the state...what are these holy-rollers thinkin'?
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:Isn't Kay O'Conner from Olathe...shouldn't she be saying something about these old, antiquated laws that have no relevance in today's society? I mean she speaks out on suffrage, why not other stupid old laws.
O'Conner is from a city of 100,000 plus citizens. Many of those who represent Olathe in local politics that I know personally, think she is a cooky bird.