Downtown KCK - Is anything happening?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Does anyone know of any plans to turn around downtown KCK? What is it going to take to turn Minnesota Ave into something like Lawrence's Mass. St? This could be a really great urban street. Will downtown KCK ever be desirable?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

as soon as Flint, MI is ;)

I hope so but I doubt it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

I agree with KC. Probably not in our lifetimes.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Some church groups have been building new single family homes and townhomes in the area, but they need a lot more. The city/county claims they will use some of the new tax revenue from the Speedway and adjacent retail areas to help improve areas inside I-635, but there have been so many tax breaks issued that it doesn't seem likely there will much of a net increase in tax revenue for a long time.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I work at the Kansas School for the Bind, at 11th and State Ave. Our students absolutely cannot leave campus after dark. Huge amounts of crime/drugs/prostitution at big 11 lake, across the street from campus. The police response has been: "well, thats just the way it is". With that kind of attitude, its no wonder crime is so high. It used to be a great neighborhod, but very definately unsafe now.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

used to drive by that lake daily on my way to school......

"memories, like the corner of my eye"

We always thought it was called Big 11 lake because that's the number of bodies found there. Damn I'm glad my parents got out of WyCo....thanks NASCAR :)

phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

There was an article a couple weeks ago in the Star about the neighborhood norht of dowtown. It was a minister who started renovating that area, and cleaning up KCK has become his ministry. He said that his next project is to get some lofts going in downtown, and he has already started bying some buildings for that. His neighborhood (Turtle Hill?) is mixed income, and he has ownership classes for new owners, and assistance for low income owners. The aricle sounded like he has some good ideas to help the area grow, but now they have to get past the stigma of KCK. We talk about how many people are afraid of going downtown Missouri, I think that there are a bunch more who are more afraid of going inside of 635 to KCK.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Just did a quick search about this to try to find some more info. The group doing the development is called City Vision Ministries. They have sold a good number of the homes in their Turtle Hill development. Next project is to turn the old City Hall into about 50 lofts. This is good news. Maybe there is a spark of hope for KCK after all.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCK has a lot of potential if they can continue reducing crime and blight, and make sure the development out west contributes something to their inner city areas. One thing in its favor is a relatively decent urban school district that has avoided the shenanigans of KCMSD. I have noticed more people moving to the Rosedale neighborhood lately - it is basically still Westport/West Plaza, but with a better school system and without the stigma and inflated cost of JoCo.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

The school district really should be a selling point, but nobody knows it! Havning subbed in the district, I know its not perfect (they make mistakes at central office, and it is an inner city disrict) but, compared to KCMO, the administration is in control of the schools, and if you can get your kid through te 7th grade and into Sumner, I think that is the best public school in the area, as far as test scores, and, from what I've heard, behavior. Is that right, KC? (I never subbed there- I was at Schlagle and Washington- and those wern't that bad.)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Looks like a redevelopment of the old KCK city hall might be moving forward. Great news for an urban area with lots of potential.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily17.html
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

dangerboy wrote:Looks like a redevelopment of the old KCK city hall might be moving forward. Great news for an urban area with lots of potential.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily17.html
There is a full length article in the recent Biz Journal on the loft development. So great to see KCK is kicking into gear with urban projects as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

phxcat pimping my alma mater, Sumner....place used to be something special, I hear it is going downhill though....making it easier to get in (test wise)