Is the Kansas board dead?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:The Northland residents don't give a crap about downtown's prosperity, they're all too busy fishing and hunting wild game. The northland in my opinion is "hillbilly land".

Gridlock....just kidding....just want to see you get worked up. I actually like the Northland but it's still a little too rural for me...but it looks like it's changing rapidly.
yea yea yea...Hillbilly Land. Northland does have some different areas though. The I-29 corridor is mostly white collar and upcale while the I-35 corridor is more blue collar and far more diversified. The 169 corridor is a mix of everything. As far a redneck or hillbilly goes, the rural areas up north (Platte City, Kearney etc) are no worse than Buckner, Harrisonville, Grain Valley, Gardner, Spring Hill, Bonner Springs etc.

Hey, I'm mad at you Jayhawk. Went to the MU-KU game, (you go?), great, intense game, but MU should have won damnit.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Could've, should've....but didn't. KU just plain, flat out got lucky on those last two buckets by Miles and Hinrich. Otherwise, Mizzou would have won. Glad to see they didn't though....what is that now, two years in a row Mizzou has been swept by KU....haha. Like I said, the basketball Gods were shining on us that game, both teams played tough though.
KU will be down next year with Hinrich and Collison leaving, it's going to be tough to replace that senior leadership....Mizzou should be senior laden with experience and toughness next year.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:The Northland residents don't give a crap about downtown's prosperity, they're all too busy fishing and hunting wild game. The northland in my opinion is "hillbilly land".
This stereotype really pisses me off. I know you are kidding but a lot of people south of downtown really have this mentality and it is dead wrong.

GRANTED, there are plenty of people like that, especially around Worlds of Fun and south of 72nd street, but they are a minority. Nothing you don't find in KCK, Independence or NE JoCo. All these areas are being surrounded by newer, bigger houses anyway.

Trust me, I was born in Gladstone and have lived there 22 years. Northlanders DO give a crap about downtown. A lot of people up north work downtown. We just do not care for the attitude that the city ends at the Missouri River, and vote down any proposals that make it seem that way (e.g. light rail). We do not care for the way bridges are ignored (unless they buckle and nearly collapse into the river) and how maintenance is terrible (try driving around on a KCMO road in Clay County after a snow storm). There was huge support up here for the Power and Light District and other proposals. With the exception of Gladstone, Liberty and Parkville, the entire northland is in the Kansas City city limits, and northlanders call themselves Kansas Citians. I have never once introduced myself as being from Gladstone, MO. I always say Kansas City. Can Overland Park citizens say the same?

The way the northland is developing, I don't think we have to worry about another JoCo. The big developments are emphasizing "new urban", whatever that is, but at least it's different than the cookie-cutter boxes out in JoCo that collapse down hillsides. Northlanders do not care for what happened in JoCo and I would expect that citizens up here make sure that the Northland stays a Kansas-City-oriented community. We love where we live, but we do not put ourselves above the rest of the city.

Trust me. Give the northland the attention it deserves (roads, bridges, maintenance, mass transit) and the northland will repay the city by passing any downtown proposal it wants.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KCNorthlander wrote: The big developments are emphasizing "new urban", whatever that is, but at least it's different than the cookie-cutter boxes out in JoCo that collapse down hillsides. .
Well, with flat old JoCo, they don't have to worry about that :).

Nicely said though. I still don't think people have a clue what's about to happen up there and what is happening. I see northland site plans come through here and its going to get crazy up there.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

There is too much name-calling and steriotyping both ways. As a Johnson Countian by birth, I have shard some of those thoughts, but having spent a good amount of time up north, it is a very nice place to live. Johnson County is a lot bigger and more busy, which I like, but Northlanders are like family. I hope that feeling of community doesn't die with the development.
but at least it's different than the cookie-cutter boxes out in JoCo that collapse down hillsides.
Hey- it's only happened once!