Lawrence's 6th and Wak. theater complex?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I have a friend who has connections to the company that owns the Southwind 12 in Lawrence and he told me that they're looking into building another theater complex in Lawrence in the 6th and Wakarusa area. Residents recently nixed Wal-Mart's plans to try to turn the area into South Iowa Part 2. An unnamed home improvement warehouse (most likely Lowe's) has also been rejected by zoners. As most know, Lawrence is pretty conservative with land-use issues as the South Lawrence Trafficway has been argued about for years on end. I'm glad they oppose Wal-Mart out there and I hope this theater plan doesn't happen either. I'm not opposed to new retail or growth out there, but it should be a neighborhood shopping area-- not a regional destination.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

I am amazed that Downtown Lawrence is still doing so well with all the new devlelopment out west and along south Iowa. I agree, they should try and keep the retail local neighborhood type stores in that area of 6th and Wakerusa.

I wonder what the new K-10 alignment will do to Lawrence's existing retail.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I think downtown Lawrence is still doing great. There are some holes on Mass. Street, but the tough economy has to play some part in that. One thing to realize is that downtown is a specialty store district while the South Iowa area contains the big-box and corporate restaurant fair. By the way, if you haven't been on South Iowa lately it's turning into a real 119th and Metcalf clone. They allowed Home Depot and Best Buy to build on 31st Street even though the area wasn't zoned for the hunrded thousand plus square feet that they're bringing in. On top of that, Kmart's excellent location will spark a bidding war while also bringing in a more stable retailer-- I'm guessing a Lowe's or maybe split between some of these retailers: Dick's, Toys R Us, Bed Bath and Beyond, B&N.