Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by grovester »

It is a low bar indeed. But I would bet that Mission had to fight like hell just to get these aspects included. There were a lot of businesses that would have been very happy with turning Johnson Drive into another SMP.

I think they've positioned themselves pretty well if someone wants to go vertical with residential, much like is starting in old OP. Mission could use a few more upscale eats. Wish Melbees would come back!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grovester wrote:It is a low bar indeed. But I would bet that Mission had to fight like hell just to get these aspects included. There were a lot of businesses that would have been very happy with turning Johnson Drive into another SMP.

I think they've positioned themselves pretty well if someone wants to go vertical with residential, much like is starting in old OP. Mission could use a few more upscale eats. Wish Melbees would come back!
I can understand a business wanting lots of parking nearby.

But if I were a retail business owner I would want all fast roads to send people into my town and make people go slowly by my store so my advertising could be seen by more drivers and easily see there's parking next to my store.

And demand ways to have more customers without spending more on parking, saving me money
And have bike lanes so bikes and bike racks right out front to encourage people on bikes to park outside my store and see my products.
And have wide sidewalks so I could put out a bench so people resting could sit right outside my store and not my competitor's.
And ask for the bus stop to be right outside my store so people without cars can visit

Bypasses and high speed roads just seem counterintuitive for commerce. A recent example is Lawrence was annoyed by all the traffic going downtown so instead they want a bypass so now these people won't need to spend money in downtown Lawrence. Talk about a stupid decision.

Wanting to be at the end of a huge parking lot never made sense either. I don't want people to need to drive from the next store over, I want them to park once and visit me too. Zona Rosa is the recent shopping center that appeared to understand this.

And for any failings, at least Johnson Drive moved that street towards this idea. It's not perfect but it's better than a four+ lane 40mph road like Wornall or Metcalf or N. Oak
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Mission's police department, and residents, may come to regret having a Wal-Mart store there--instead of a Target, Gordman's, or Kohl's.

Surfing Wal-Mart's Crime Wave
...The Tampa Bay times calculates that Wal-Mart, on average, produce four times as many calls as nearby Target stores.

...The Times compared the Wal-Mart's share of police calls to its share of all the property taxes paid in four cities. Their research found that "Wal-Mart's share of calls was consistently larger than its slice of tax payments. Much larger."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-norman ... 74822.html

Walmart’s Out-of-Control Crime Problem Is Driving Police Crazy
Police chiefs and their officers on the ground say that’s just not so. Ross likes to joke that the concentration of crime at Walmart makes his job easier. “I’ve got all my bad guys in one place,” he says, flashing a bright smile. His squad’s sergeant, Robert Rohloff, a 34-year police veteran who has to worry about staffing, budgets, and patrolling the busiest commercial district in Tulsa, says there’s nothing funny about Walmart’s impact on public safety. He can’t believe, he says, that a multibillion-dollar corporation isn’t doing more to stop crime. Instead, he says, it offloads the job to the police at taxpayers’ expense. “It’s ridiculous—we are talking about the biggest retailer in the world,” says Rohloff. “I may have half my squad there for hours.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

City Council has rejected plan so maybe if new plan comes Crushed Red that's expanding can be part of it.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

http://shawneemissionpost.com/2016/10/0 ... ject-55659

Wal-Mart pulled out. Is there anything left going for this project?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Places like Academy Sports and Outdoors that was rumored at one time maybe. Needs to be new to area like Shopko,Stage or Belk,Gander Mountain,Kroger or Ramey Price Cutter,HHGREGG,Meijer,Lucky's Market,Bealls,Bloomingdales,Johny Mac's,Modells.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Maybe Valenti can score a Game Stop and Supercuts in his next iteration.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Apartments over a Big Lots?
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

In a community meeting last week, he said he has a signed agreement with Aloft and an Element hotel. Three retailers--grocer, sporting goods, electronics--sounds like he's close-ish w 2 of 3. Nothing above those three retailers.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

AJoD wrote:In a community meeting last week, he said he has a signed agreement with Aloft and an Element hotel.
Odd...Aloft recently announced they have sold their only other local hotel location.
http://bluevalleypost.com/2016/09/01/pa ... roup-44899
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Also says Grocery store ones in KS/MO that have no KC location or even use to,Sporting Goods place maybe Academy Sports and Outdoors,Gander Mountain,Sportsmens Wearhouse,Johny Mac's,Modells,Computer base store so maybe HHGREGG or FYI.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

AlbertHammond wrote:
AJoD wrote:In a community meeting last week, he said he has a signed agreement with Aloft and an Element hotel.
Odd...Aloft recently announced they have sold their only other local hotel location.
http://bluevalleypost.com/2016/09/01/pa ... roup-44899
Valenti's group will own and operate the Aloft. I'm not sure how the Marriott/Starwood group picks which properties to own/operate vs flag partners.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Appears this thing is still a work in progress.

http://fox4kc.com/2017/06/29/mission-ga ... urth-time/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It's certainly a piece of work.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

But when it’s complete, the Mission Gateway is expected to attract hundreds of thousands of people to this area every year and bring millions of dollars in sales taxes to Mission.
I would love to see what stores have to close to meet this standard.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

By the time this project is completed, big box stores will be obsolete.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Latest Rendering has a Entertainment Venue per Shawnee Mission Post story today so maybe Revolution or Sky Golf.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Latest Rendering has a Entertainment Venue per Shawnee Mission Post story today so maybe Revolution or Sky Golf.
or knowing the developer, no chance it will actually be an entertainment venue
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Mission Gateway

Post by mgsports »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Mission Gateway

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:http://www.kmbz.com/articles/could-it-f ... ve-forward Hopefully new to area.
Mission Gateway is not new to the area