Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by FangKC »

There is ample reason the residents of Mission should be concerned about Walmart being a major tenant in this redevelopment, and Mission city leaders should be calculating the risk of letting Walmart in their community.

Take a look at this report on ABC World News with David Muir about the negative effect Walmart has had in other communities. They go in, and cause a lot of long-time businesses to close. Then when they decide profits aren't high enough, they close their stores and leave the entire community without a grocery store and drug store. Not only that, but once Walmart pulls out, the city is left without their former tax base, because the original local stores and businesses that previously supported the tax base are gone.

In a small community or neighborhood, a Walmart can cause not only the local grocery or drug store to close, but it can also cause the loss of a local hardware store, electronics and auto parts stores, garden centers or nursery, shoe stores, and card and stationery stores. They can also cause tire and battery centers, and small garages to close (loss of auto maintenance business).

Keep in mind, when Walmart lays off all their store employees in that community or neighborhood, they have also have difficulty finding replacement jobs because many of the local businesses, that could employ them, are already gone.

Walmart Backlash Over Store Closings

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/walmart ... s-36561894
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Economic locusts.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Mission’s looming City Council election doesn’t make things look any better for Tom Valenti

http://tinyurl.com/zm665qq
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

No Fear. Valenti has an updated plan that makes Johnson Drive the focus as the pedestrian spine with walkable development on all 4 corners at Roe and includes the old Wild Oats site.

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Toopers Pizza coming to last space in Mission Crossings,Hy-Vee remodeling,The Bar wants add a Patio,Peanut opening April per PV Post Story.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Mission Gateway project takes a hit at the polls
Mission residents may have voted down the $153 million Mission Gateway project on Tuesday.

No, the latest version of the long-delayed mixed-use proposal wasn't on the ballot. But Mission voters elected two new City Council members who have voiced opposition to the the plan, and one of the newcomers will replace one of the project's most enthusiastic supporters.
http://tinyurl.com/hxpc6wy
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The developer has yet another update to the proposed Gateway project, this one adds 74 apartments in two stories wrapped around the Walmart. Looks like the update means Mr. Valenti will have to start back at square one with the Mission city council and whatever other agencies need to approve.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... itted.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's much better but still looks like a big box store.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

And who doesn't want to look out onto a Walmart parking lot/garage or hear the peaceful whirring of big box ventilation fans?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I still wonder if this can get approved. I think Mission residents are more opposed to the Wal-Mart than any other part of this development.

I think it could get approved mostly as is if the developer gave up Wal-Mart as the primary retail tenant, and instead separated the retail portion into two smaller retail tenants. Perhaps one being a grocery store, and the other a smaller retailer like Kohl's or Gordman's. Gordman's doesn't have a presence in that part of the Metro.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Gordman's would be something unexpected.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I'm still mystified at the idea that folks
Would flock to live wrapped around a Wal*Mart.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bbqboy wrote:I'm still mystified at the idea that folks would flock to live wrapped around a Wal*Mart.
There's tons of people looking for cheap apartments that live in much worse locations.

If the price is low enough they'll all be filled.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

These apartments will probably be ideal for Mission (and area) seniors, who wish to give up the responsibility for maintaining a home, and who recognize there will be a time when they can no longer drive themselves. They want to be near retail, and especially a place where they can buy groceries, household supplies, personal items, and has a pharmacy. Living over a Wal-mart might seem unusual, but for this demographic, it's one-stop shopping for most of their needs. Wal-marts often have banks, and eyeglass stores.

One of the largest unmet needs for seniors who no longer drive is convenient, affordable retail near their home. Many live in situations where they have to depend on family members or friends to drive them to do their shopping, or pay for a ride-share or cabs. Often they can only get a ride once a week, or twice a month, to get what they need, and often they are in need of things more often than that.

When they run out of fresh milk, or wake up with cold or flu, and need medicine, they are out of luck until someone can come help them. Mental health professionals will tell you that one of the most common problems among seniors who no longer can drive is the sense they can no longer do things for themselves, or are dependent on others. So this type of mixed use project solves a big problem for many people.

Disabled people would also benefit from this type of situation.

In my opinion, as a society, the best thing we could do for seniors and the disabled is to build housing atop, or next to grocery stores and other retail services they need.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

FangKC wrote:These apartments will probably be ideal for Mission (and area) seniors, who wish to give up the responsibility for maintaining a home, and who recognize there will be a time when they can no longer drive themselves.
Everything you say is correct....and this might be a respectable place for them to live if that is all its about. There are so many other things about this project that are epically bad and will restrict their ability /desire to walk anywhere else. How will the pedestrian "experience" be handled inside this development? How about on the perimeter (especially along Johnson Drive)? How is the ped experience to the west into the core of Mission? The City's recent street rebuild has not been very ped friendly immediately west of this site (not one street tree was planted and the sidewalks are at the back-of-curb). Mission has not showed great understanding about how to encourage more ped activity with their recent streetscape work, so they wont make Valenti do it either. These residents you speak of will feel isolated in this parcel.

Walkability isn't just about providing the "facility for walking" (a sidewalk), it is about creating a "facility" that is safe, comfortable and interesting to make walking seem like a reasonable choice vs. driving.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'm not sure about this. The area from Nall or Lamar to Metcalf south of Johnson Drive is about as walkable as anything in joco, save for old overland park. There are at least 2 complexes geared to retirees with a Hyvee, lots of restaurants and basic amenities. Martway is the walkable street that Johnson Drive wants to be.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

grovester wrote:I'm not sure about this. The area from Nall or Lamar to Metcalf south of Johnson Drive is about as walkable as anything in joco, save for old overland park. There are at least 2 complexes geared to retirees with a Hyvee, lots of restaurants and basic amenities.
Pretty paving patterns do not equate to a great pedestrian experience! This is the crap that a ped must drudge thru to get to Mission's creamy center.

Even the best part of the newly built Johnson Drive is under-tree'd and feels like an engineer designed it. Good, but not great.

grovester wrote:Martway is the walkable street that Johnson Drive wants to be.
Not-so-much.

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I believe that is Martway all the way east, the west end is better. They're new construction is up to the street and some of the older buildings are adding patios. No doubt still a lot of parking, but that will take time. Way better than anything in RP, Merriam or Shawnee.

I give them credit for Johnson Drive, it would have been easy to go with the worse alternative. The trees will mature. I would have opted for one lane each way with a center turn lane.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

grovester wrote:I believe that is Martway all the way east, the west end is better. They're new construction is up to the street and some of the older buildings are adding patios. No doubt still a lot of parking, but that will take time. Way better than anything in RP, Merriam or Shawnee.
Perhaps my standards are too high, but no one will voluntarily walk here. Better than 1950s-60s strip retail crap in RP, Merriam or Shawnee, true, but that is a low, low standard.

grovester wrote:I give them credit for Johnson Drive, it would have been easy to go with the worse alternative. The trees will mature. I would have opted for one lane each way with a center turn lane.
I agree with the 3-lane section. Most trees are shantung maple. A good tree but poorly selected for this location. They max out at 25'. Shade?...is (apparently) for losers! Winners like lots and lots of concrete!!