OFFICIAL: The Streets at Metcalf (Metcalf South redevelopment)

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Re: OFFICIAL: The Streets at Metcalf (Metcalf South redevelopment)

Post by AlbertHammond »

Interesting take on the subject. Do you think she hit the nail on the head?
http://jocopost.blogspot.com/2015/08/me ... ecome.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlbertHammond wrote:Interesting take on the subject. Do you think she hit the nail on the head?
http://jocopost.blogspot.com/2015/08/me ... ecome.html
Absolutely.
And just as I predicted, in order to grab tax subsidies to pay for your construction, your crack team of architects drew a stupid little fountain about the size of an above ground pool in KCK, and called it a "unique attraction" That was so you could go lobby some Kansas legislators for STAR Bond subsidies.
There's one good thing with Kansas looking to cut their state budget drastically, if a city doesn't jump on board with subsidies, the state will have to explain every tax credit they give out because it will show up in the budget as money they have to cut elsewhere. There's no more padding left.

Clearly they didn't get those subsidies.

This is why zoning and development code matters. If KC and the surrounding suburbs can codify better requirements that are fair for everyone and NOT allow exceptions to projects and then base occupancy certificates off following these rules you will get quality projects everywhere and we will all benefit. Good developers will do well and sleazy ones will move on.

If cities give in and give exceptions to everyone no one benefits except sleazy developers.

And I'll take a quality project with incentives that leaves a great building for our grandkids and great grandkids over a bad project paid for only by a developer that needs to be torn down in 25 years because it's a cheap pad building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Forward-thinking city leaders would rezone most of the parcel as residential with small retail spaces hidden parking, and design the project for the fastest-growing market segment in residential--seniors. It would alleviate the problem with building cheap retail structures that are empty in 20 years, or need to be torn down and reconfigured in a new project. The residential doesn't have to be all seniors, but the overall project should be designed to make living there easy for seniors. On-site retail options that cater to them (grocery store, drug store, medical facilities, public library, post office, etc.). Make it a walkable village of sorts that allow seniors to age in place (active retirement, assisted living, nursing home, and in-home services.

This type of project would have lasting value, and the property owner would have less problem with vacant big box stores, retail jumping, etc. High-density residential would provide a consistent long-term revenue stream that is less susceptible to changing retail trends.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's numerous examples of a long-term model that works for cities and property owners around the city that doesn't need to be just residential with some retail.

The Plaza has offices above the retail and residential flanking it.
The River Market is a great mixed use example.
Downtown NKC along Armour puts buildings along the sidewalk and parking is all behind them.
Downtown Parkville i's a decent old style downtown
The Liberty square is mixed use with parking behind or on street
Downtown Overland Park is small but the core is respectfully done.
The old center of Lee's Summit is mixed use buildings.

These historic mixed use locations are all still places people go generation after generation. the Liberty square is older than the river market and it's continually done well.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's because those places were all designed for people.

I personally like places where I can do several things at one time. If seniors are still driving, park one time, and be able to get stamps, go to the bank, pick up my dry cleaning, and get some groceries and prescriptions. With seniors, this is a preferred choice. Even if they still drive, some have mobility issues. They don't want to get in and out of cars several times to just run a few errands. I have arthritis now in my lower spine. Getting in and out of a car several times in a hour or two really affects me. I also can't tolerate driving for very long, so having to drive all over town to get my errands done is a chore. I also want to get things all accomplished in one short trip. This is what appeals to many seniors.

When you are developing a property for the long-term, you want to think of your customers, and add value to the development. One of these values would be creating such activity nodes near residential, but that also provide services like delivery of groceries and prescriptions. This is starting to appeal to me more and more as I get older.

Retired seniors also have a lot of free time, and want to be able to get out and socialize near their housing. This doesn't necessarily mean a senior center. It simply having places nearby that can be walkable like small parks, restaurants, coffee houses, book retailers, and movie theaters. When I mention small parks I don't mean a patch of grass with some trees in it. It's a functional socializing space that is pleasant. It's got a small pond with ducks and geese to feed; the sound of a fountain; permanent tables to play checkers, chess, and backgammon; comfortable benches to sit and chat. One of the things I remember from living in New York City was how function small parks were. Seniors would hang out in the park and watch children playing, chat, read, and play games with each other. This was a daily event for many. You would see this even in the winter on more moderate days.

These features need to be close to their townhouse or apartment. Many won't go to the park if they have to drive, but they will if they can walk there quickly. We really do a poor job in the USA designing these spaces in our communities to help make our seniors less isolated.

The other big problem we have in this country is that our for-sale housing is mass-produced mostly for one market segment--families with children. That is not even the majority of our population any longer. If you look at demographic trends, we are quickly moving into single-occupant dwelling situations, or households without children.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Just look at what is being done at Mission Road and Indian Creek Parkway just north of 435. Something like that I think would work at the location.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

http://www.kmbc.com/news/future-of-metc ... e/34879494

This is so vague an article I can't tell if it was mistakenly put up as news, or if they actually intend to go forward defending their proposal. I thought they were done with it.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Gander Mountain no interest in KC to date but should be.
Sports Authority looking to Leaving area but Academy Sports and Outdoors has only 3 locations so far,Moosejaw,REI one,Dicks a lot. No Sportsmen's Wearhouse but could of had one in Olathe where Bass Pro is.
Shopko not interested but should be with Kmart gone and their is Hometown around KC area.
Famous Dave's is leaving area but had announce after leaving Overland Park that was expanding.
Zaxby's not looking South area MO side but has signed agreements for Cass County and more in Johnson county that are in Southern KC area
Slîms Chicken 5th or 6th South area MO side when other are done
At Home in former Kmart would work. Homegoods if Specailty Retail.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »