OFFICIAL: The Streets at Metcalf (Metcalf South redevelopment)

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Metcalf South Redevelopment

Post by mykem »

wow!!i was at southglenn mall 8 or 9 years ago,and from what i remember of that mall was that it was well maintained,modern,and busy.at that time the mall was a bit on the small side,but they were in the construction phase of adding on,and increasing the size, of that very same mall that they have just demolished!!well good for them.would have never guessed that!
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

i'm confused...flood or fire, which one?  fire then flood?  that makes sense in terms of putting out the fire.

Regardless...tear the entire thing down!!!  Its the arm-pit of JOCO and is too valuable a loction to continue in its present condition.  BTW,  I recently heard that the City of OP was big-time behind this, and is proposing to rehab the entire Metcalf corridor between 103rd & 75th as part of the M South redevelopment.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I agree - tear it down. This mall has been dwarfed by Oak Park Mall. And indoor malls are a dying breed - only the best can survive. Metcalf South was clearly the "dirt mall" they make reference to in the movie "Mallrats."

This new development will be a huge step in the right direction. I hope you're right zonk - I'd really like to see the Metcalf corridor redeveloped and refurbished - particularly around "downtown Overland Park."
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

The fire happened in the Topeka West Ridge Mall store for clarification. sorry my bad.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

KCMax wrote: I agree - tear it down. This mall has been dwarfed by Oak Park Mall. And indoor malls are a dying breed - only the best can survive. Metcalf South was clearly the "dirt mall" they make reference to in the movie "Mallrats."

This new development will be a huge step in the right direction. I hope you're right zonk - I'd really like to see the Metcalf corridor redeveloped and refurbished - particularly around "downtown Overland Park."
I always wanted to see a freaking light rail spine running down all of the empty space between the traffic lanes on Metcalf Ave as well as this current redevelopment project.  I didn't think either were truly likely but now that 50% of the dream is in planning stages gives me hope for the other 50% to follow down the line...
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL: The Streets at Metcalf (Metcalf South redevelopment)

Post by ComandanteCero »

mmkay, found it
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

looks like they've been moving along on this project. Here are some renderings from a pdf file on the website:

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

looks like they are debating on whether they should put in residential units (since you can see an apartment building in the aerial rendering at the north east corner, while in the site plan it's just parking).

It looks like a pretty great start towards redeveloping the site.  I hope there are plans for continued infill along the perimeter (particularly in the form of mixed use residential/office buildings with retail on the ground level).

The renderings do look nice as of right now, i hope the vision survives into the construction phase. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Very cool.  I like.  Who knows if it will happen and if it does, it probably won't be as intense as the renderings, but we can't even get proposals like this out east.  Walmarts are king out here. :)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

One thing I really like about this project is that it marks at least a pause in the trend to throw more and more money into projects south of 119th street and towards Olathe.  95th is not exactly the center of the city but a project of this scale going north of I-435 is significant.  Nice infill and perhaps a slight indication of a shift away from 135th street and back towards the denser part of the OP. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It looks like a definite winner in that they are not putting a huge emphasis on building new retail around the anchors. This center could probably do bananas business if they concentrate on brining in name restaurants (PF Chang's and Maggiano's) as well as some entertainment (Jillian's). There is still a large lunch crowd in this area and I'd imagine if they created something that trumps 119th strip mall restaurants, they could draw from SoJoCo.

I would recommend bringing in Angelika Film Center or Landmark to run the new theater. The Jo has become a big indie movie market (for the Metamucil crowd) and I'd like to see them do something that pushes them to the next level. I'd also like to see a new flagship Macy's built and perhaps replace Sears with something new like Belk or even Lord & Taylor. But I've heard Sears owns the property as does Macy's...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ah, behold the Blue Ridge and Bannister Malls of tomorrow!
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

chrizow wrote: ah, behold the Blue Ridge and Bannister Malls of tomorrow!
Retail in the Benjamin Plaza is dead
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

trailerkid wrote:
I would recommend bringing in Angelika Film Center or Landmark to run the new theater. The Jo has become a big indie movie market (for the Metamucil crowd) and I'd like to see them do something that pushes them to the next level. I'd also like to see a new flagship Macy's built and perhaps replace Sears with something new like Belk or even Lord & Taylor. But I've heard Sears owns the property as does Macy's...
Maybe the whole idea is to try and build a new Glenwood. They (the Glenwood Arts owners) already own some of the original furnishings. Landmark would be a good idea. They opened a shiny new complex in an Indianapolis mall just last year.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

The site plan shows a new cinema. With a cinema planned for Corbin Park, can the metro, esp Joco support anymore theaters?

I'm glad to see the sears tire center is preserved LOL.

Are the thinking of retaining the existing Sears and Macy's structures or replacing them with new ones?

I would like to see the three story fountain inside the mall preserved in place and rehabbed. Maybe replace the blue tiles or something.
Last edited by justin8216 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

The Macy's and Sears buildings are owned by the occupants.  I am sure if they wanted to level them they could after some agreement.
Keep in mind the Gateway in Mission also has a theater planned (specialty concept).  The saturation point is probably reached and one of these developments will need to drop their plan for a theater.  Ward Parkway AMC will also continue to suffer with inner-suburb competition.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yeh, we'll have to see what kind of movie theater they are planning (i.e multiplex, or indie, or just a two screener etc), but it does seem like the movie theater market is pretty well served as of right now.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

justin8216 wrote: The site plan shows a new cinema. With a cinema planned for Corbin Park, can the metro, esp Joco support anymore theaters?

I'm glad to see the sears tire center is preserved LOL.

Are the thinking of retaining the existing Sears and Macy's structures or replacing them with new ones?

I would like to see the three story fountain inside the mall preserved in place and rehabbed. Maybe replace the blue tiles or something.
That would be cool.  Its crazy thinking about how that place has gone to hell.  I remember when Metcalf South was packed, and now it has about five stores.  Kind of sad.  Anything like that that they could keep would be cool.
ComandanteCero wrote: yeh, we'll have to see what kind of movie theater they are planning (i.e multiplex, or indie, or just a two screener etc), but it does seem like the movie theater market is pretty well served as of right now.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCTigerFan wrote: The Macy's and Sears buildings are owned by the occupants.  I am sure if they wanted to level them they could after some agreement.
Keep in mind the Gateway in Mission also has a theater planned (specialty concept).  The saturation point is probably reached and one of these developments will need to drop their plan for a theater.  Ward Parkway AMC will also continue to suffer with inner-suburb competition.

Who still goes to movies at Ward Parkway? I quit going after the 9th pager went off in the last movie I saw there...This person looked at their pager and called the number in the middle of the movie in the theater...Absolutely amazing.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

In case you didn't know.....this project has been stopped.  Sears (Kmart now owns Sears) stepped in to stop the project since they own 1/3rd of the site.  It could come up again, but for now....DEAD.  Apparently Sears does not think they would do better business with a site transformation.  All it would do is hurt sales during the construction mess.