Leawood's Park Place development

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Leawood's Park Place development

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote:God, that article was stupid. First and foremost, the biggest problem with new urbanism is that they are essentially inverted malls. There is a bit of walkability (malls have that too of course) but their footprint is about the size of a suburban mall and they are completely surrounded by major 3-4 lane roads cutting them off from the nearby neighborhoods that, themselves, are designed for car traffic and isolation with only one or two entry points. Absolutely no integration. Consequently, we aren't urbanizing anything. I suppose it's better than Town Center (or is it Centre) Plaza but only by a slim margin. I've been to Park Place and it's not very compelling. I don't find many new urbanism projects compelling, they should really be termed new suburbanism because that is what they are.
Drove through this last fall and it's TINY. Super tiny. How can such an small island in the middle of parking lots of a theater and strip mall be urban? I just hate how the place is heavily subsidized in one on the most affluent suburbs in the midwest and the way the development took AMC from KCMO with like 40-50 million in incentives makes me want to puke. Why Kansas residents (tax payers) put up with this (corporate welfare) I have no idea.

If the place were funded with private money and wasn't poaching long time kcmo corporations (IE: zona rosa etc) and calling themselves a success story then I would say it's a cute little development for joco, but hardly "urban". I mean, the width of Nall? The amount of grass around that area? It's so spread out.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Other than AMC, what is subsidized? My recollection is that its all privately funded.

Personally, I kinda like Park Place.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Highlander wrote:God, that article was stupid. First and foremost, the biggest problem with new urbanism is that they are essentially inverted malls. There is a bit of walkability (malls have that too of course) but their footprint is about the size of a suburban mall and they are completely surrounded by major 3-4 lane roads cutting them off from the nearby neighborhoods that, themselves, are designed for car traffic and isolation with only one or two entry points. Absolutely no integration. Consequently, we aren't urbanizing anything. I suppose it's better than Town Center (or is it Centre) Plaza but only by a slim margin. I've been to Park Place and it's not very compelling. I don't find many new urbanism projects compelling, they should really be termed new suburbanism because that is what they are.
Should they bus in bums from the Plaza to here and Zona Rosa? Would a shooting make it ubran enough? :lol:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Colby and Megan Garrelts to open restaurant in the old Trezo Vino spot.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... t-new.html
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

The Cajun resturant appears to be out of business.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Park Place considers second hotel to join Aloft

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... l?ana=e_ph
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I don't understand why these contemporary hotels (Ambassador excluded) aren't looking to build downtown or at the Plaza. I don't understand who would want to stay in the Aloft at 119th.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

smh wrote:I don't understand why these contemporary hotels (Ambassador excluded) aren't looking to build downtown or at the Plaza. I don't understand who would want to stay in the Aloft at 119th.
Wouldn't be my choice to stay in that part of town but anyone who has business dealings or family in JoCo would. On a side note, I stayed at an Aloft in San Antonio (through Priceline) and absolutely loved it. I know they've been building them in urban areas lately and would love to see one located in the Crossroads or maybe the hotel next to Plaza Vista.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

smh wrote:I don't understand why these contemporary hotels (Ambassador excluded) aren't looking to build downtown or at the Plaza. I don't understand who would want to stay in the Aloft at 119th.
My only guess is people who do business with Sprint. But that can't be a huge target population. There are plenty of hotels in JoCo, so there must be some demand though.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax wrote:Colby and Megan Garrelts to open restaurant in the old Trezo Vino spot.

Rye is among the 33 most anticipated restaurants in the country
LaurenKU
Pad site
Pad site

Post by LaurenKU »

KCMax wrote:
KCMax wrote:Colby and Megan Garrelts to open restaurant in the old Trezo Vino spot.

Rye is among the 33 most anticipated restaurants in the country
And, it's opening at Mission Farms, not Park Place.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Iowan plans two more restaurants in Leawood’s Park Place
Lynch opened an 801 Chophouse there in late 2011. He plans to open an 801 Fish in Park Place in late 2012 or early 2013. Now he also has finalized a lease for Pig & Finch, a gastropub set to open in the former Trezo Vino spot at 11570 Ash St. in mid-October.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Park Place developers proceed with plan to build 177 residential units

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... l?ana=e_ph
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

KCMax wrote:
Lynch opened an 801 Chophouse there in late 2011. He plans to open an 801 Fish in Park Place in late 2012 or early 2013. Now he also has finalized a lease for Pig & Finch, a gastropub set to open in the former Trezo Vino spot at 11570 Ash St. in mid-October.
Pig & Finch is now open. Website
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Two new Park Place tenants plan March openings
Sweetpea & Co. will offer children’s clothing, shoes and gifts. The shop formerly operated as Mady & Me in The Village shopping center in Prairie Village.

Pinot’s Palette – Leawood will be an upscale painting party place.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Still not impressed by Park Place. It seems like a perpetual construction zone with no real improvement ever happening. It just isn't a compelling place to go. My father lives out south - not too far from Park Place. We do like Gordon Biersch (prefer the P&L setting) but, other than that, rarely have any reason or desire to go to Park Place.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Park Place has landed

Post by mgsports »

Burgerfii G-05