Good News For KCK

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCforumer

Good News For KCK

Post by KCforumer »

Six theaters to open at Indian Springs

By CARMEN CARDINAL/of The Kansas City Kansan http://kansascitykansan.com/

For seven years, Wyandotte Countians have griped there were no indoor theaters anywhere in the county.

But not any more.

Troy Fickle and John Campe will open Spring Six Cinemas this Friday at the Indian Springs Marketplace with first-run films in English and in Spanish.

It has been seven years since filmgoers have been able to see films shown at the Indian Springs Mall theaters.

This weekend, the theater will open and will feature first-run films, such as "Made in Manhattan," "Harry Potter II," "Star Trek 10," "Die Another Day," "8 Miles" and "Drum Line."

In future weeks, it will also show first-run Spanish language films.

"Our scouts are scouring Latin America for those top selling films now," said Campe.

The owners recognize the Latin market in Kansas City, Kan., is growing at a fast rate and other Spanish language theaters, the few that there are in the metro area, are doing a booming business.

The theater is a former AMC Theater facility that has been refurbished.

It boasts six screens, all stadium seats, surround sound and will feature "something for all," according to Campe.

Campe and Fickle are both from Clinton, Mo. They shared an interest in refurbishing theaters.

Together, they formed a company some years back to become "trouble shooters" for theaters in trouble.

"We've worked all over, in over 50 locations, from Mississippi, Kansas, Missouri, Georgia, and other places," said Campe. "We worked for United Artists, taking over small theaters and fixing them up to become competitive. They were theaters in locations where they were not making much money. We'd fix them up and the company would sell them to people who could make them go."

So now, they're making their own six-plex go.

Theater prices are competitive with other first run theaters in the metro area. Adult tickets are $6; children, students and senior citizens are $4. All tickets are $4 before 6 p.m.

For show times, patrons can call 287-1400.

For now, the theater is a "family and friends" operation, but Campe anticipates hiring staff members soon after this weekend's opening.

John Trevor, the manager of the Indian Springs Mall, hopes that Wyandotte Countians will once again support the return of indoor theaters to Wyandotte County. Many small businesses have opened their doors at the mall.

Trevor thinks that catering to the Hispanic market, as well as all Wyandotte Countians, will be a boost for the mall, which has been struggling, in recent years.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Good News For KCK

Post by KCPowercat »

KCK is so weird...it's almost reverted back to being a tiny town in the middle of nowhere...they celebrate things like first run theatres.....glad to see they are turning the corner it just seems so weird.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCforumer

Good News For KCK

Post by KCforumer »

Well, a suburb of 140,000 lacking an indoor movie theater, that's sad. So, it's good they are getting one. I don't know if I'll go there. I live in Bonner Springs. I normally go to Shawnee. :roll: I'm 16, BTW.

I'll definitely go to Warren Theaters, when they open.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Good News For KCK

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'd like to know if KCK had any old indoor theaters near the central part of the city? That hispanic market is huge and keeps growing! I think it would be a brilliant idea to open a theater that shows all spanish-language films. I use to go to the AMC at Indian Springs, the State Avenue Drive-In and the Boulevard Drive-In 8)
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Good News For KCK

Post by DanCa »

Indoor theater? What next for Wyandotte County? Indoor plumbing?

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I never thought about the lack of theaters in KCK. I remember going to Indian Springs Mall as a kid when it was still fairly new and nice.

There really are no shopping areas in WyCo are there? Unfortunately, when developers decide to build a shopping center, they look at demographics and average incomes of people in the area. KCK probably doesn't look good on paper to anyone wanting to build a mall or other type of shopping center.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Good News For KCK

Post by trailerkid »

I really hate to be the one to say this, but I give this theater about 1 month before there is news of a killing, robbery or some violence either outside or inside the theater complex. It's not vacant for no reason. You couldn't pay me to see a late show at this place.