Merriam Village: senior living and big box?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Merriam set up boundaries for a plan to turn 32 acres of land south of I-35 and Johnson Drive into a mixed-use development. TIFing will be involved.

Merriam Redevelopment LLC, the developer, is acquiring homes, businesses, vacant ground and city rights of way in the area to create a $60 million to $70 million development that could include a senior living center and 250,000 square feet of retail space in an area south of Johnson Drive and Merriam Town Center. Merriam Redevelopment foresees both big-box retailers and smaller stores on the site.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 534161.htm
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Merriam definately needs a TIF deal. The whole town of Merriam is old and blighted. Businesses have been abandoning Merriam for the suburbs for years. Thos properties in Merriam have little or no chance of ever being developed without a TIF package because the area is so poor.

Oh by the way that was sarcasm. Talk about bullshit. Next Leawood will be using TIF's for its blighted $500,000 per house subdivisions.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

The developer needs to pay for it himself!!! Does investment still exist in the business/developer mind or what?!?!? Merriam Redevel. LLC ought to take a risk and pay for that themselves.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

From the KC Star...
The Merriam City Council will provide tax increment financing and rezone land for the proposed $60 million, 32-acre redevelopment project the Star is reporting. Council members objected to the project being constructed in two phases, saying that property tax money generated from phase two was necessary to pay for TIF financing. Merriam Redevelopment LLC, the developer, is acquiring homes, businesses, vacant ground and city rights of way in the area for the project. Conrad Miller, attorney for Merriam Redevelopment, said 62 of the 67 properties in the area have been acquired. Big box retailers as well as smaller stores are planned for the site.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 041880.htm
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

trailerkid wrote:From the KC Star...
The Merriam City Council will provide tax increment financing and rezone land for the proposed $60 million, 32-acre redevelopment project the Star is reporting. Council members objected to the project being constructed in two phases, saying that property tax money generated from phase two was necessary to pay for TIF financing. Merriam Redevelopment LLC, the developer, is acquiring homes, businesses, vacant ground and city rights of way in the area for the project. Conrad Miller, attorney for Merriam Redevelopment, said 62 of the 67 properties in the area have been acquired. Big box retailers as well as smaller stores are planned for the site.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 041880.htm
There is nothing I hate more than tif projects being approved that displace businesses and residents that pay taxes.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Merriam Village: senior living and big box?

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I have noticed that they have pretty well finished the eminent domain and the demolition for this project.  All of the houses are gone.  But I have seen very little update on the plans for this project.  I know there was an article in the Star this summer which seemed to indicate it would be mixed use/new urbanist in design but I havve not seen a thing since.  Anyone have more details? 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The last couple of weeks this project has suddenly seen some major action with some serious earthwork.  If they keep up this pace it will easily lap the Merriam Pointe project accross the highway which had a big head start but has been stuck in neutral for a year or more. 
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I can't believe its been three years since they planned this project.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Happened what with the Merriam Pointe. Supposed to include a Cheeseburger In Paradise it was.

They also planned one in Leawood, which I think they also abandoned. Why did cheeseburger stop is KC expansion plans?

Merriam Point does have a new building under construction that is the new Hyundai Dealership relocating from Metcalf ave.
Last edited by justin8216 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

justin8216 wrote: Happened what with the Merriam Pointe. Supposed to include it was a Cheeseburger In Paradise it was.

They also planned one in Leawood, which I think they also abandoned. Why did cheeseburger stop is KC expansion plans?
Are you alright?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

justin8216 wrote: Happened what with the Merriam Pointe. Supposed to include a Cheeseburger In Paradise it was.
Yoda, is that you?
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

KC0KEK wrote: Yoda, is that you?
Yes, me it is.

I started to mis-type my sentence and when I re-read it, I thought it sounded like Yoda. So I decided to finish it like Yoda.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

According to today's Star, Circuit City is the anchor tenant, scheduled to open Fall 2008.

Developer requested (and city engineers recommended) that the city waive a drainage requirement based on a new study.  The council refused.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

They have a rendering up on a sign at the site.  Looks like it will be an odd hybrid - the East and North perimeters will have reasonably sound, new-urbanist, village -like development . . .  and then high on a plateau to the SW end of the space will be a giant parking lagoon with big box strip mall.  It looked like the only way a pedestrian would be able to get from the Hyde to the Jekyll side of the development would have to involve mountain climbing equipment. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory5.html

Friday, February 1, 2008

Merriam retail along I-35 gets new life

Development incentives are tied to speed in starting

Kansas City Business Journal
Suzanna Stagemeyer
After more than three years of preparation, a 22-acre strip of Merriam dirt fronting Interstate 35 is set to begin sprouting into a nearly 239,000-square-foot shopping center.

The growth will come under the cultivation of new developer Merriam Investors LLC, which includes Block & Co. Inc. Realtors principal David Block and DJ Christie Inc. President David Christie. The group began closing on the purchase of parcels south of 67th Street in December and plans to finish in mid-February. Block wouldn't disclose the price but called the land "very expensive" because of the location and previous site work.
There is no fifth destination.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Think Tiffany Springs Auto Mall :).
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

They a building a massive fortress like retaining wall along I-35 because of poor soil conditions. This has really stalled this development.

However with the completion of the retaining wall, things are supposed to get underway. Circuit City has said they will start construction of their new store by May.

The developer DDR, says that once Circuit City starts construction, more tenants will be willing to sing on definately, but they did not mention any names.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It sounds like Circuit City won't open here because of CC financial problems?

The entire thing is empty before it ever opened. Maybe they can TIF it again now that it's blighted.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

The Circuit City signs are up on the building at and the entrance.  Did you read something that they weren't going to go through with the opening?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

On hold for sure, not cancelled yet