Olathe vs. OP

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Olathe vs. OP

Post by trailerkid »

OP has been known as an antagonizer to KC MO for years gaining a reputation for stealing jobs, residents, shoppers and just being an all-around nasty b@#%. Well, they say what goes around comes around. Now it seems like Olathe is ready to go toe to toe and do to OP what they did to KC MO for years. Olathe is gaining an even nastier reputation than OP as they want Olathe to be a separate mid-sized city similar to Wichita or Des Moines.

Let the showdown between these bastions of everything white, plastic, vanilla, and "big boxesque" begin!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Olathe vs. OP

Post by KCK »

Don't these JOCO cities ever learn from the mistakes of the original predecessor KCK? The people and government here spent so much time trying to make this a city in its own right that they forgot that they were a part of a much bigger metro. With the metro like it is we should be working together, Kansas and Missouri, to make life better for everyone, not just our little city. If these JOCO cities don't learn this, in 30 years they will be sitting over there crying wondering why they were forgotten and left out.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Olathe vs. OP

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I think it started out as OP wantin' to take over the business powerhouse role in the metro, but now they're jus' tryin' to compete in JOCO. My personal opinion is that Lenexa will be the JOCO leader in 10 years.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Olathe vs. OP

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I hope not! I like Lenexa like it is!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Olathe vs. OP

Post by trailerkid »

According to my mapping program, Olathe, Stilwell, and Bucyrus Kansas already have OP landlocked. Olathe did a leglock and has land south of 159th to Switzer, while Bucyrus and Stilwell have everything else to the east.

Olathe has a scary amount of land. They have a massive amount of land stretching west to the Sunflower site and then a sizable chunk in the south down to 191st Street. Considering the size of the current city and its 100,000 population, if they build out similarly within the city limits...they could have 250,000 people in the city of Olathe...and that is probably a conservative estimate. It will be a bizarre day if Olathe becomes the state's largest city.
KCforumer

Olathe vs. OP

Post by KCforumer »

Aren't Stilwell and Bucyrus unincorporated? If so, how can they have OP landlocked?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Olathe vs. OP

Post by dangerboy »

isn't there still unincorporated land between OP's southern boundary and the the county line? I thought the effort to incorporate that area as a separate town failed.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Olathe vs. OP

Post by trailerkid »

Sorry, I may be wrong about who controls land south of OP...I am going off of addresses on the mapping program, which may just be postal addresses not actual city limits. All addresses south of 159th show up as either Olathe, Bucryus or Stilwell.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Olathe vs. OP

Post by QueSi2Opie »

It's my understanding that OP can eventually expand all the way to the Miami County line as long as they remain between Quivira and 69 Highway.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Olathe vs. OP

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote:Sorry, I may be wrong about who controls land south of OP...I am going off of addresses on the mapping program, which may just be postal addresses not actual city limits. All addresses south of 159th show up as either Olathe, Bucryus or Stilwell.
Those are postal addresses. Rural areas have the postal addresses of nearby towns, even if they aren't in the city limits. Here are the current city boundaries. Lots of unincorporated land left in the south part of the county. Nothing stopping either city from continuing to sprawl southward. The rectangles are township boundaries. The bottom-right corner is Aubry Township, the one that tried to incorporate last year to head of OP's annexations.

http://ims.jocogov.org/ims/images/5076MO1013.gif
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Olathe vs. OP

Post by TheDude »

both suck so who cares?
"ALWAYS be closing"
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Olathe vs. OP

Post by StL_Dan »

trailerkid wrote:OP has been known as an antagonizer to KC MO for years gaining a reputation for stealing jobs, residents, shoppers and just being an all-around nasty b@#%. Well, they say what goes around comes around. Now it seems like Olathe is ready to go toe to toe and do to OP what they did to KC MO for years. Olathe is gaining an even nastier reputation than OP as they want Olathe to be a separate mid-sized city similar to Wichita or Des Moines.

Let the showdown between these bastions of everything white, plastic, vanilla, and "big boxesque" begin!
:roll:
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze