39th St./KU Med development?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: 39th St./KU Med development?

Post by ChandraNH »

Topp'd is already open. Not too bad for individual pizzas with decent quality toppings. Reasonably priced too. Disappointing about subway, there's one at the end of rainbow and southwest.

Wish we could get a dry cleaner, bakery and good salad place and maybe an italian cafe.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kcjak wrote:They've started bulldozing the west side of State Line north of 39th for site prep on the new building. If I remember correctly, the northernmost section will be used for parking for construction crews.
In the middle of the superblock there's one house that appears to be a holdout. I'll be interested to see how they work around it.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

ChandraNH wrote:Wish we could get a dry cleaner, bakery and good salad place and maybe an italian cafe.
A big yes to the dry cleaner.

As far as bakeries, we've got four places for carryout sweets in a two-block stretch of 39th, not counting Starbucks: Sultan's (which I adore), Smallcakes, Mud Pie, and the replacement for Metuka. What I'd love to see is a bread bakery. It wouldn't need to be as high end as Fervere or Ibis, just somewhere to pick up a loaf that was baked that morning. Or, as long as I'm dreaming, something like Wheatfields in Lawrence.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

chaglang wrote:
kcjak wrote:They've started bulldozing the west side of State Line north of 39th for site prep on the new building. If I remember correctly, the northernmost section will be used for parking for construction crews.
In the middle of the superblock there's one house that appears to be a holdout. I'll be interested to see how they work around it.
http://kcur.org/post/kansas-woman-refus ... around-her
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Another favorite holdout: http://bit.ly/1wBapPo
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

auntbigdog wrote:
ChandraNH wrote:Wish we could get a dry cleaner, bakery and good salad place and maybe an italian cafe.
What I'd love to see is a bread bakery. It wouldn't need to be as high end as Fervere or Ibis, just somewhere to pick up a loaf that was baked that morning. Or, as long as I'm dreaming, something like Wheatfields in Lawrence.
I'm suprised Farm to Market hasn't opened up some kind of retail operation, this would be a perfect spot if they wanted to do something like that.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'm suprised Farm to Market hasn't opened up some kind of retail operation, this would be a perfect spot if they wanted to do something like that.
I'm still very disappointed in this. Pretty sure they mentioned doing just this when they moved down to the Xroads a few years ago. Haven't seen or heard a peep since; would be a smash hit I'd think.
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

What would be awesome, would be if some of my favorite producers opened small stalls in 39 Rainbow, just for selling their wares (not a full operation, just selling space). I bet plenty of people would stop in at lunch to pick up items before heading home from work (those who work at KU):

Farm to Market
Local Pig (dropped in Saturday at the westport location, they don't carry beef at that location, you have to order and they send it over from the East Bottoms location!)
A good fish monger, which I haven't really found in KC, which is understandable but annoying

They wouldn't have to be in seperate stalls even, could all be in one space with dedicated space in it. Gonna pick up some meat, may as well buy some bread and a few pastries.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^Broadway Butcher has a decent fish selection, i really love what they have done with that place since they changed owners.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

brewcrew1000 wrote:^Broadway Butcher has a decent fish selection, i really love what they have down with that place since they changed owners.
co-sign. they are doing some great work at BB. we go to BB as well as local pig but sometimes prefer BB, esp. b/c of the seafood (and proximity to Gomer's!)
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chrizow wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:^Broadway Butcher has a decent fish selection, i really love what they have down with that place since they changed owners.
co-sign. they are doing some great work at BB. we go to BB as well as local pig but sometimes prefer BB, esp. b/c of the seafood (and proximity to Gomer's!)

Yep - Have had good luck there with Shrimp, Mussels, Crab Legs and Scallops. Sign up for their weekly email - they let you know what's in fresh.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^I 2nd the Scallops and Shrimp. We grilled some scallops from BB butcher last summer and they were amazing. Ended up buying Scallops the next week from HyVee and they were absolute crap.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KU and St. Lukes need to learn to build up instead of out, destroying neighborhoods. Yeah it costs more to build 30 story towers with garages, but did anyone even pressure them to?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:KU and St. Lukes need to learn to build up instead of out, destroying neighborhoods. Yeah it costs more to build 30 story towers with garages, but did anyone even pressure them to?
KU Med probably doesn't want to deal with FAA approval for anything that tall.

5 miles out from MKC planes from the north are low enough to hit a building that tall. KU Med is 4.5 miles away and almost perfectly aligns with one runway
so it would be logical to assume there's a similar low ceiling to the south. I'm not thinking just normal traffic but during an emergency from the south.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Five Guys is the best franchise food, FOREVER. $9.60 will get you a double burger w/ fixin's and a pile of fires. Also, they have a tip jar so that you may tip the staff. The KU Med place has good morale, too.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

On Thursday KU medical center will begin building their expansion to the campus- a 5 story building on the northeast corner of 39th street and Rainbow.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ation.html

This is in addition to what KU Hospital is building on the Northwest corner of 39th/stateline.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The new hospital tower is popping up in distant vistas all over town in unexpected places. The little bit of height combined with the location above the Turkey Creek valley are making it a landmark. It looms over the timberline looking west along 39th at Broadway, and from I-35 either direction.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

moderne wrote:The new hospital tower is popping up in distant vistas all over town in unexpected places. The little bit of height combined with the location above the Turkey Creek valley are making it a landmark. It looms over the timberline looking west along 39th at Broadway, and from I-35 either direction.
Yes, it's very dramatic. The whole area around the hospital on the north is a massive amount of development. Very cool.