39th St./KU Med development?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: 39th St./KU Med development?

Post by heatherkay »

Do you have a link for a source for that? If it's an expanded concept with more grocery type items, open 24 hours, I'm all for it. They had an article about their changing focus in the Times last fall.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/busin ... .html?_r=0
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

7-11 is coming http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/04/41 ... rants.html is in here but the main thing is mor PBJ Foods Places opening.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

An urban 7-11 is a cool get, though it'll likely hurt the local convenience store across 39th Street. Urban 7-11's would be cool in other areas of the urban core as well. Certain parts of greater downtown and the Plaza could use something like that.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Stockton wrote:An urban 7-11 is a cool get, though it'll likely hurt the local convenience store across 39th Street. Urban 7-11's would be cool in other areas of the urban core as well. Certain parts of greater downtown and the Plaza could use something like that.
You know I never even remember that little convenience store is there on 39th. Had to stop and think what you were talking about. I wish there was another option for gasoline. QuikTrip closed the store at Westport Rd and Rainbow Blvd. The other QuikTrip on Westport Rd is a cluster fuck. I dread trying to put gas there. Honestly I rather pay more for gas in Kansas than try and get gas at the Westport Rd QuikTrip.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

I was thinking about this development the other day and decided to check out Lane4's renderings and site plans. I'm not sure if there's enough space, but it would be interesting to see a Walgreen's pop up in this development to counter the new CVS down the street. There are at least 2 sizeable retail spaces in phase 2, but the site plan doesn't include the sq ft. It's also interesting to think of the possibility of a phase 3 across 39th Street on the NW corner.

In reply to zachbot-

I believe KU's next major project will be a new building on the NE corner of 39th and Rainbow. If a phase 3 of 39 Rainbow or a totally new development would occur, this would become quite the transformation into an urban intersection, I agree.

http://www.lane4group.com/projects/
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Lane 4's site plan shows "breakfast restaurant" in the largest retail space of phase 2. My first thought was First Watch is going to relocate from Westport Rd
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

KUMed is building at 39th and State Line.
http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/17/48 ... eives.html
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Its worth noting this is in addition to the new school building they received approval of funds to build on 39th and Rainbow. These two projects will fill in the biggest gaps on the campus along 39th street.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

auntbigdog wrote:KUMed is building at 39th and State Line.
http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/17/48 ... eives.html
Where is there room to build this? There is an apartment tower on the NW Corner.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Never mind, I was thinking of Rainbow.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

harbinger911 wrote:The Cambridge North project 92 bed tower is for the NORTHWEST corner - across State Line from the new apartment building.

The $75 million health education building is planning for 39th and Rainbow Avenue, probably where the small ethnic restaurant is.
Actually I think the health ed building is planned for the NE corner of 39th/Rainbow, across from the Vietnamese restaurant. The master plan I remember seeing a couple of months ago showed a new building on what's currently a surface lot...the idea was to have a 'signature' building with some sort of iconic design that would connect to the complex south of 39th via elevated walkway.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Mission Cliffs returned to the news back in November

The Roanoke Trails group worked on reopening the trail at this development.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/roanokeparktrails/
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

It's an initiative by the Rosedale Development Association to develop the trailes from Roanoke through to Mission Cliffs, including Mount Marty. I've worked the two work days on the Mission Cliffs trail and can confirm that honeysuckle is, in fact, a bitch. More here:

http://forums.earthriders.com/viewtopic ... 19&t=18861
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

A gentleman from the University of Kansas Hospital spoke to the Volker Neighborhood Association last night and presented their plans for the proposed building on the NW corner of 39th/State Line. Current rendering was an 8 story building, with future expansion possibilities to 11 stories. Bottom 3 stories evoked windows of the new Cerner building at the Legends, but with lighter stonework; top stories were glass.

Building connected to main hospital by two-level enclosed walkway. Entrance to the new building on Cambridge, as would be a new parking garage and power station. Extensive landscaping along State Line all the way to 36th. Someone asked about opportunities for ground-level retail or encouraging pedestrian activity, but the guy said the hospital has very little room for future expansion and they needed to capitalize on every inch of space, making retail unlikely.

Also mentioned the Kansas Legislature had approved the construction of the new 'signature' building on the NE corner of Rainbow/39th, but gave no timeline.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

kcjak wrote:A gentleman from the University of Kansas Hospital spoke to the Volker Neighborhood Association last night and presented their plans for the proposed building on the NW corner of 39th/State Line. Current rendering was an 8 story building, with future expansion possibilities to 11 stories. Bottom 3 stories evoked windows of the new Cerner building at the Legends, but with lighter stonework; top stories were glass.

Building connected to main hospital by two-level enclosed walkway. Entrance to the new building on Cambridge, as would be a new parking garage and power station. Extensive landscaping along State Line all the way to 36th. Someone asked about opportunities for ground-level retail or encouraging pedestrian activity, but the guy said the hospital has very little room for future expansion and they needed to capitalize on every inch of space, making retail unlikely.

Also mentioned the Kansas Legislature had approved the construction of the new 'signature' building on the NE corner of Rainbow/39th, but gave no timeline.
From the aerial view on the 39 Rainbow site it appears as if there is an awful lot of surface parking that could be replaced by structures/expansion if they really need it. I would also think that if the desire was there for ground level retail, the building could always be 9 floors, expandable to 12. I don't know what the cost of such a thing would be, but if you were to collect rent on the retail, I would think that that would defray the costs. I guess I would prefer it is he would respond by admitting that the vision is just not there among the powers that be to do such a thing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KC's urban hospitals actually do a good job at parking structures integrated into the design. they needs lots of it yet parking has nothing to do with their core goal which is to have rooms for patients
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Nice, this sounds awesome. You don't need retail in every building and I think this is one of those. It's a hospital building after all. There is so much retail right at this site's doorstep that it doesn't matter if it has retail itself. And adding to this campus will only make it more of a destination and add to the foot traffic and vibrancy. As long as it addresses the street in a nice manner, unlike the building to the south of it.

Man this part of the city is quickly becoming quite dense and urban.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

A building here is good.
I have zero confidence that KU or their hospital architect has a clue how to build a building with a decent sidewalk experience. No hospital in KC has attempted it. The fact that they built a facilities plant at the SW corner of a vibrant 39th & State Line a few years ago shows they have no understanding of how they should relate to their neighbors.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Where could they have built the physical plant instead?