39th St./KU Med development?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: 39th St./KU Med development?

Post by kboish »

yes, this area is good some good upgrades. The hotels/retail component's interaction with the street bodes well for the as yet to be constructed building on the corner of 39th.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

pash wrote:See, Kansas City? It's just not that hard.

It's a shame St Luke's didn't do something more like this with their recent expansion.
No shit. And Gomers, Walgeens and Jimmy Johns corners at 39th/Broadway should have been this.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The new Gomer's isn't too bad. The other ones are inexcusable. The Jimmy John's is a missed opportunity to fix the screw-up that was Popeye's. And Walgreens should be run out of town (or business) for the shite they have foisted on urban neighborhoods: 'I traded that cool building at Brush Creek Pky and Troost for your glorified liquor store? No, really, thanks.'
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Whoever would've thought that KCK would be the one leading the way on urban redevelopment? :)
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

I'm not sure any of this is new info, but here is a summary of the development from today's Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/16/37 ... inbow.html
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

chaglang wrote:The new Gomer's isn't too bad.
I actually think the new Gomer's is an abomination. It completely turns its back on the street, which is soooo disappointing because this was a great opportunity for them to start changing this intersection back to what it once was and should always be: urban. This is 39th and Broadway, two great cross streets, yet it feels as if it could be in any suburb (if it werent for the street activity that is). I will continue to frequent Gomer's, but I feel they really dropped the ball here
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Demosthenes wrote:
chaglang wrote:The new Gomer's isn't too bad.
I actually think the new Gomer's is an abomination. It completely turns its back on the street, which is soooo disappointing because this was a great opportunity for them to start changing this intersection back to what it once was and should always be: urban. This is 39th and Broadway, two great cross streets, yet it feels as if it could be in any suburb (if it werent for the street activity that is). I will continue to frequent Gomer's, but I feel they really dropped the ball here
Abomination is a bit strong. The Walgreen's is an abomination.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Haha yea you're right. If Gomer's is an abomination, what does that make the Walgreens?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Demosthenes wrote:Haha yea you're right. If Gomer's is an abomination, what does that make the Walgreens?
Worse than an abomination? How about Car-Oriented, Suburban Design?

You did get me thinking about why they put the entrance halfway up the parking lot on the north side of the building. Is there a basement in there? The easiest way to get a little bit of storage space would be to do what they did and move the entrance up the hill to the west.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

chaglang wrote: Is there a basement in there? The easiest way to get a little bit of storage space would be to do what they did and move the entrance up the hill to the west.
Yes, there is.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Very nice. Now if something similar could just get proposed for the northwest corner and possibly even the northeast.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Five Guys opens on Monday. They've been training people for the last couple of weeks. They are building out the lobby for the hotel right now.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

There is a picture of the office/retail development going up at 39th and Rainbow. Looks like it will nearly exactly match the hotel that has already gone up south of the intersection only this building will obvisously be a bit longer. Looks to front the street the entire length of the block and have nice ped access from Rainbow. Nothing flashy, but all and all will be a nice improvement on this area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Question. Is there anything planned for the northwest corner of 39th and stateline (directly west of where the apartment/retail is currently being constructed)? There are construction fences up as if they were prepping for something. I know construction workers used to always park there, but now there are more permanent/beefy fences. Probably nothing....or a parking lot
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

They just made the parking lot more secure. I think they also graded and put down better gravel. They had zoning change notices up a few months ago, and the end use was "construction parking lot" or something like that. I expect that when the work on the main body of the med center is done, this will be converted to some other use (if only a more permanent parking lot :(
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

that's not horrible. that would work decently in the crossroads as a good minimum size for the two big empty lots near Populous and on a smaller scale the one at Grand and Missouri.
JDluu
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JDluu »

zachbot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by zachbot »

If KU infills some of those vacant lots/parking lots along 39th and improves the street with landscaping, it starts to become feasible that people will walk from 39th St. west in KCMO to 39 Rainbow in KCK. I'm hoping development and public improvements eventually connect the dots between 39th street in KCMO, 39 Rainbow, and Woodside Village at 47th and Rainbow.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

KU Med students will soon be able to get some late night Slurpees (but not gas obviously) ....7-11 opening in remaining ground level retail space in 39 rainbow's first phase.