Lawrence: 7-Story Building on Mass Street

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Lawrence: 7-Story Building on Mass Street

Post by TrolliKC »

Student housing company files plans for 7-story building in downtown Lawrence

Sorry, for some reason I can't post the photo, but here is the link to the article

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/town_ta ... -lawrence/

• A three-level, above-ground parking garage that would have spaces for about 275 vehicles. The garage would be on the east side of New Hampshire Street in space that currently is used as a surface parking lot for Maceli’s catering and event business. The parking garage would abut the historic Old English Lutheran Church building, which was the subject of a historic preservation battle decades ago.

• The main building would include about 15,000 square feet of retail space on its ground floor. The upper-level floors would include apartment ranging in size from studio to four-bedroom units. In a rarity for downtown, the project is seeking to have some ground-level apartments. Those would be located on the New Hampshire side of the project.

• The building would stretch from the corner of 11th and Massachusetts to the corner of 11th and New Hampshire streets. The alley that serves businesses on that block would remain open, but multiple floors of the building would be constructed above it. In other words, portions of the alley would be covered, or tunnel-like.

• Depending on which side of the building you are looking at, the project is six to seven stories tall, in addition to a rooftop terrace area that would include a pool. Plans show most of the building being about 71 feet tall, although a small portion of it extends to 86 feet. Drawings show that portion being about equal to the midpoint of the clock tower on the adjacent Douglas County Courthouse. All told, the building would add just under 295,000 square feet of space in downtown Lawrence.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Lawrence: 7-Story Building on Mass Street

Post by empires228 »

I think it looks like a neat idea. It would eliminate some drunk driving and I'm all for that.