Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Post Reply
User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12902
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by FangKC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Procter & Gamble to close KCK plant

http://www.kmbc.com/article/procter-and ... t/16668558

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9010
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by Highlander » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Kansas should have been targeting Proctor and Gamble with Star bonds to keep that factory open at the expense of some other factory some where else. Instead they work on attracting a south KCMO company to move 6 blocks. I'm sad about this - one of KC's old manufacturers is leaving. Couple that with Harley Davidson and the sell of DST and KC has had some bad economic news lately.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4532
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by earthling » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 am

^Good point.

This is a blow as KC hasn't quite recovered manufacturing jobs from 2008 hit but is the case with most Midwest cities, even MSP hasn't recovered yet...
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/SMU2928 ... raphs=true

The Full Employment Council thinks those losing their jobs won't have an issue finding another but it's pretty clear that KC is transitioning more and more as white collar and STEM. KC is well above US avg in Pro Biz Services/STEM growth.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... emand.html

mgsports
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2513
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by mgsports » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:22 pm

But at least maybe get a Menards.
2. #CZ-17401-00020 Reference: 3151

Filed: 09/29/2017 Petitioner: TYLER EDWARDS WITH MENARD, INC.

1301 N 98TH STAddress:

SYNOPSIS: Change of Zone from A-G Agriculture District to CP-2 Planned General Business District for a Menard's home improvement retail store

horizons82
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 am

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by horizons82 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:01 pm

mgsports wrote:But at least maybe get a Menards.
2. #CZ-17401-00020 Reference: 3151

Filed: 09/29/2017 Petitioner: TYLER EDWARDS WITH MENARD, INC.

1301 N 98TH STAddress:

SYNOPSIS: Change of Zone from A-G Agriculture District to CP-2 Planned General Business District for a Menard's home improvement retail store
This has nothing to do with P&G's plant or even anywhere close by. Cmon dude...
Highlander wrote:Kansas should have been targeting Proctor and Gamble with Star bonds to keep that factory open at the expense of some other factory some where else. Instead they work on attracting a south KCMO company to move 6 blocks. I'm sad about this - one of KC's old manufacturers is leaving. Couple that with Harley Davidson and the sell of DST and KC has had some bad economic news lately.
Completely agree that this would have been better than that HCA deal. That said, I can't imagine that even with incentives KS would have saved that many jobs. I'ts not like P&G is hard up for profit, they're just looking to scrape every dollar they can. Easily could picture it being like the infamous Carrier deal in Indiana where they get $$$ only to still eliminate 2/3rds of the jobs later.

mgsports
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2513
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by mgsports » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Yes I new that but at least KCK is trying to get some new Retail.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14274
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by GRID » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:42 pm

mgsports wrote:But at least maybe get a Menards.
2. #CZ-17401-00020 Reference: 3151

Filed: 09/29/2017 Petitioner: TYLER EDWARDS WITH MENARD, INC.

1301 N 98TH STAddress:

SYNOPSIS: Change of Zone from A-G Agriculture District to CP-2 Planned General Business District for a Menard's home improvement retail store
You are the best poster on this forum lol.

mgsports
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2513
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by mgsports » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:06 pm

http://ahprd1cdn.csgpimgs.com/d2/v_7mMf ... cument.pdf National Chain to be annouced soon so it could be Menards but doesn't look like a Menards and also making progress on Junior Anchors hopefully new to KCK or KC area yet like Here Today or Fresh Thyme Market or Academy Sports and Outdoors,Field and Stream,Meijer,Shopko or Burlington Coat Factory or Ramey Price Cutter,Winco,Albertsons or so on.

empires228
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by empires228 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 am

mgsports wrote:http://ahprd1cdn.csgpimgs.com/d2/v_7mMf ... cument.pdf National Chain to be annouced soon so it could be Menards but doesn't look like a Menards and also making progress on Junior Anchors hopefully new to KCK or KC area yet like Here Today or Fresh Thyme Market or Academy Sports and Outdoors,Field and Stream,Meijer,Shopko or Burlington Coat Factory or Ramey Price Cutter,Winco,Albertsons or so on.
Make a new thread for that. This is about Proctor and Gamble. That graphic literally shows an ovbious lumber yard in the leasing plan so it will likely be a home improvement chain, and we all know Shopko, Meijer, and Alberstons will NOT be touching KCK or KCMO.

mgsports
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2513
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by mgsports » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:50 pm

How can you see a Lumber Yard because all I see is something in back parking lot that doesn't look the size of Menards Lumber Yard. We need a Kmart replacement and Shopko and Meijer would do it and are good so it's Albertsons that would do good in Johnson County or KCK.

horizons82
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 am

Re: Proctor & Gamble will close KCK plant

Post by horizons82 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 pm

mgsports wrote:How can you see a Lumber Yard because all I see is something in back parking lot that doesn't look the size of Menards Lumber Yard. We need a Kmart replacement and Shopko and Meijer would do it and are good so it's Albertsons that would do good in Johnson County or KCK.
Supermarkets don't have auxilary buildings, lumber yard or not. Never mind you consistently ignore how regional chains grow and retail trends in general. You might as well throw out Disneyland when you're doing one of your retail word salads, it's about as logical.

But yeah, wrong place for this crap yet again. Not the same location as P&G's plant. Not even an industrial development. Create different thread.

Post Reply