Metcalf South Update

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Metcalf South Update

Post by DaveKCMO »

vision metcalf is dead. OP killed it when it continued pushing retail south.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The articles I've read and newscasts I've seen on this development all feature residents who say they support the Lowe's angle over Vision Metcalf because they don't want the property to languish any longer and that the needs of the neighborhood have changed since Vision Metcalf was put together. All they have to do is look down the street the shopping center where the Glenwood used to be, the Hy-Vee that was abandoned, King Louie, the state of Metcalf near downtown, the strip mall with Walmart Neighborhood Market, Loehman's Plaza, etc. to see how quickly outdated another suburban style shopping center will become in a few years.

And the fact that a Lowe's will open right across the street from a Home Depot? Come on!
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

OP city council unanimously approved 305K s.f. of big box, strip and pad site retail for the site today. Yuck.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 25257.html
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Final Development Plan up,for approval next Month Sears
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Final Development Plan up,for approval next Month Sears
Getting a business that is closing stores en mass isn't a good sign retailers want to be in the decelopment
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

It's adding back the Paint Department.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

http://www.lane4group.com/wp-content/up ... -Shops.pdf Future development and 6-9 Food places but no big ones.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

With the recent announcement of more Sears/Kmart stores closings, I wonder if the developers have plans for the Sears store/site if that location should close in the next few years. In the meantime will Sears give the store an exterior facelift? I would think the side that is currently attached to the mall will have to have something done at the very least. A year from now that store is going to look very out of place.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

kcjak wrote:The articles I've read and newscasts I've seen on this development all feature residents who say they support the Lowe's angle over Vision Metcalf because they don't want the property to languish any longer and that the needs of the neighborhood have changed since Vision Metcalf was put together. All they have to do is look down the street the shopping center where the Glenwood used to be, the Hy-Vee that was abandoned, King Louie, the state of Metcalf near downtown, the strip mall with Walmart Neighborhood Market, Loehman's Plaza, etc. to see how quickly outdated another suburban style shopping center will become in a few years.

And the fact that a Lowe's will open right across the street from a Home Depot? Come on!
I think Metcalf north of 435 is actually looking a lot better than it did a few years ago... Metcalf near downtown isn't bad at all. The CVS store was remodeled, Sheridan's has a popular location next to it, and apartments are going up, there's the Volvo dealership, the Price Chopper is nice, and Winstead's has one of their few locations there. The worst looking section is between 99th and 87th and it still has Vintage Stock, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Home Depot, Topsy's, First Watch, Red Robin, Jack Stack (always packed), Sears, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Michaels, TJ Maxx, Natural Grocers, and Half-Priced Books so it's not like it's a barren stretch of decay... The areas around Metro North and the stretch of Noland between 35th north of Interstate 70 and US 40 south of Interstate 70 in Independence look way worse, especially that area of Independence.