Thunderlake Speedway and the Wolcott area again...

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Zasco
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Thunderlake Speedway and the Wolcott area again...

Post by Zasco »

Hi again, members...this is Zasco.

I'd seen that Thunderlake Speedway in the Wolcott area has been permanently closed...I wonder why? I've recently looked on Google Maps and have seen that the entire park has been emptied, even the asphalt on the track itself had been taken up. Did the owners relocate?

I hope that the street-grid of the former town won't eventually be dug up. Personally, I always thought that Wolcott should've been placed on a historic site or something because of its rich history, after all, it was a major shipping point between Kansas City and Leavenworth on the interurban railroad...the only mention of the community is on the side of one of the last remaining buildings in town, Sonny's Pallet Company. Not to mention the main highway which runs through it, Wolcott Drive (aka K-5).

I know from reading books on Kansas history, such as the superb Ghost Towns Of Kansas volumes, how abandoned towns have been dug up and the land used for farming, what with our state having an agricultural atmosphere. This is what I hope doesn't happen to Wolcott.

Pomeroy, which is right down the railroad line from Wolcott a few miles, still has nice homes and what had been the school had been converted into a residence, I learned. As far as flooding is concerned, with Pomeroy being on the Missouri River as well, that community has had to deal with it too yet was able to maintain their population and residences...why couldn't Wolcott?

I still wish I could see pictures of the former town, whoever posted that nice one of the flyover in September 1991, I'd like to thank them (it's now on Google Earth...but I'd love to see the town from street level.

Anyway, please write back when you can and thanks for listening again. --Zasco