Bluhawk

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Bluhawk

Post by mgsports »

joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Bluhawk

Post by joshmv »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -star.html
Price Brothers plans to develop a $75 million arena anchored by a United States Hockey League team in BluHawk, a 300-acre mixed-use project under development in south Overland Park.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

1 million more square feet of retail for southern JoCo. sheesh
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Another hockey project!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote:1 million more square feet of retail for southern JoCo. sheesh
The key sentence from the article: "We're trying to create demand for retail." FFS.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

smh wrote:
The key sentence from the article: "We're trying to create demand for retail." FFS.
Just for clarity, this is the quote: "We're trying to create the demand before the retail"

They are waiting to build most of the retail components until the population grows in that area, what's the issue?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if this arena will put the brakes on the arena that was being talked about for Village West in Wyandotte County, that also included the American Royal. I think that arena was being pitched as a possible hockey venue.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

joshmv wrote:
smh wrote:
Just for clarity, this is the quote: "We're trying to create the demand before the retail"

They are waiting to build most of the retail components until the population grows in that area, what's the issue?
Apologies, I misread the article. Regardless, the issue is that this just shifts supply from elsewhere in the metro hollowing out areas in northern OP.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

That's how they built Overland Park.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

smh wrote: Apologies, I misread the article. Regardless, the issue is that this just shifts supply from elsewhere in the metro hollowing out areas in northern OP.
Agreed. Sounds like a great development, but I hate that it's so far south even though I'm at 119th and Antioch. I guess it shouldn't be any surprise when the newest high school is sitting at 179th. At this point the sprawl is almost as wide as DFW without anywhere close to the density.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

joshmv wrote: At this point the sprawl is almost as wide as DFW without anywhere close to the density.
KC 's sprawl is not as dense as Dallas - though Dallas is a moderately dense metro, denser than Philly, Boston, Minneapolis and many others - but KC's sprawl covers only like a third of the area of Dallas'. It is no where near as widespread.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

At what point are they going to start talking about another freeway loop...? Development is definitely already out to 179th street and somewhere around there is probably close to where it should be I'd think.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

They say Power Center. Hope the places are new OP or KC area. Also maybe Bowling/Movie Theater. But won't be a Minor League Team. DL Team?
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

chingon wrote:
joshmv wrote: At this point the sprawl is almost as wide as DFW without anywhere close to the density.
KC 's sprawl is not as dense as Dallas - though Dallas is a moderately dense metro, denser than Philly, Boston, Minneapolis and many others - but KC's sprawl covers only like a third of the area of Dallas'. It is no where near as widespread.
I was also trying to say KC's sprawl isn't as dense.

In regards to the spread of the sprawl, I was just talking about the distance from downtown between OP and the similar north Dallas suburbs. The distance from downtown Dallas to where Frisco stops is 28 miles. From downtown KC to Blue Valley Southwest high school is about 22 miles. Those aren't considering roads, just the direct distance. You could push the Dallas distance a little further if you wanted to include Prosper or McKinney.

I drove down to BluHawk tonight. Lots of work going on, but most of it is still in the early phases so there really wasn't anything worth taking pictures of.

Anybody know the chances of highway 69 being expanded beyond 4 lanes?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

joshmv wrote:
unless the county pays for it, slim since the state started using kdot as a general funds source
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

flyingember wrote:
joshmv wrote:
unless the county pays for it, slim since the state started using kdot as a general funds source
I believe that part of the State's $8 billion KDOT plan approved a few years ago that there was a plan to expand 69 Hwy to 6 lanes all the way to 215th street (JOCO line). My guess is that Brownback's tax debacle has all but pushed that back years if not more. Problem is that 69 Hwy is starting to become one of the worst traffic jams in the metro during rush hours.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... b7ddc65cbe Says Bowling Alley/Theater new to area,Restaruants. Also Retail would be new to area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Also Retail would be new to area.
This is never true in my experience. I see no reason to believe it will be true in this case
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

What they mean is you won't see like Great Clips but maybe another Chain like it not here. Places like maybe Stage,Gohastings,Shopko or Meijer,Urban Outfitters,Bloomingdales,Bealls,Belk,Gander Mountain,HHGREGG and so on.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I can't believe this thing is going is possibly going to be built.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/co ... 52837.html