Bluhawk

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Bluhawk

Post by kcjak »

At some point we'll finally have all the retail that other cities have and we won't have to hear the 'retail new to the area' crap. And shitty stores like Gander Mountain, Shopko, Pizza Ranch don't count.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Almost as many residents spoke against rezoning for the northern portion of BluHawk, a 300-acre project southeast of 159th Street and Antioch.

Most opposed a $75 million, 6,000-square-foot arena that is expected to house a new United States Hockey League amateur team that Lamar Hunt Jr. is bringing to the area.
... ...

“This is a growing city, a vibrant city,” Planning Commission Chairman Steve Troester warned residents concerned about added traffic in their neck of the prairie. “There is going to continue to be this steady drumbeat going south.”
This is a quote from the bizjournal about the "steady drumbeat" of development going south. If people who have bought homes and land that far south really want to maintain the rural/quaint nature of their area and prevent it from becoming an exurban monolith, they should really consider banding together and forming an outer growth boundary. This would be good for the entire metro.

South JoCo would be wise to reign in some of this growth as it will at some point come back to bite them.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

Realistically, the only border will be 215th which is where JoCo and Blue Valley end. I don't think they'll get there anytime soon, but new neighborhoods are popping up on 179th so who knows.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

About a year back I ended up at a client's (of a past job) home out at 167th and something. The suburbs had clearly gone past that point.

What was nice is OP was putting in bike trails throughout the entire area. So they were doing something right at least.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I heard there was a really pretty beige house near there. I must pay a visit to check it out.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Pizza Ranch is already in area but doesn't have a Johnson County area location yet.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Pizza Ranch is already in area but doesn't have a Johnson County area location yet.
Or Wyandotte, Platte, most of Jackson, Cass, etc.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Pizza Ranch is Independence,Liberty.North KC,Emporia and soon Marysville.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

mgsports wrote:Pizza Ranch is Independence,Liberty.North KC,Emporia and soon Marysville.
Manhattan has one as well.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

http://pizzaranchfranchise.com/index.ph ... &itemid=31 Olathe among Markets to be getting one. On MO side no other KC area cities yet.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Who cares? Pizza Ranch is garbage and Bluhawk is an upscale development/neighborhood. Pizza Ranch belongs in the hood.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Pizza Ranch may be garbage but it sure attracts families with kids.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

From Bluhawk - "We are thrilled to announce we have entered a formal management agreement with Cosmosphere for the creation of a satellite facility at BluHawk."

Not a very informative video, but apparently it's new... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkMcU_N ... e=youtu.be
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

mgsports wrote:What they mean is you won't see like Great Clips but maybe another Chain like it not here. Places like maybe Stage,Gohastings,Shopko or Meijer,Urban Outfitters,Bloomingdales,Bealls,Belk,Gander Mountain,HHGREGG and so on.
Lets see... Gander Mountain declared bankruptcy so I doubt they'll be coming in, hhgregg is liquidating, Shopko is closing up stores and focusing on their hometown stores and their northern Midwest stores, Bloomingdales doesn't exist out in this part of the country at all outside of Chicago, not even St. Louis which has Saks and Neiman Marcus or Denver which Saks and Lord & Taylor left, but they still have Neiman's, Urban Outfitters is reportedly looking to declare bankruptcy, Meijer is starting to close stores because the Wisconsin expansion has been financially disappointing thus far, Stage just had their chance to enter KC with their purchase of Gordmans and is only picking up one store in KCMO near Gladstone and the stores in Topeka and St. Joseph, the name Bealls is attached to two separate chains, one a part of Stage, and another that only exists in the Florida area, and I'm not sure what a "Gohastings" is, but Google brought up Hastings Entertainment, which declared bankruptcy and liquidated half a year ago. I don't know why you want Stage to come in so bad. They're not that great of a store and I'm from an area where they have a decent market presence and come into contact with five of their stores (Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, Hays, Junction City) quite often. Their price points are higher in JCPenney, but the merchandise itself is unappealing and of a low quality. Most of the stores are not maintained well and are covered with cheap band-aid repairs, or just flat out rundown.

You throw out Bon-Ton store names from time to time as well and that really wont happen. They're finances are about as bad as Sears and their stock was almost de-listed a few weeks ago. They had their chance to enter Wichita decades ago when one of the current nameplates (Younkers or one of the stores Younkers ended up buying if I remember right) bought out Innes in downtown Wichita, but sold it to Macy's who operated a profitable store there until they sold the division to Dillard's along with the Kansas City and Topeka locations. Dillard's was baffled that the downtown Wichita store wasn't meeting the same sales numbers it had under Macy's, which was the only Macy's in Wichita, but the store was located in between the two fairly new Dillard's stores at Towne East and West.

I can't comment on Belk. The rumor around retail centered chatrooms is that the Texas, Oklahoma, and Branson store aren't the success stories the company wants, but I'd like to see them come in and grab up space at Metcalf South, Metro North, and in Wichita. I would say Independence, but I'm sure JCPenney has been eyeing that Sears anchor slot for years.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Some of Meijer stores in Wisconsin haven't opened yet. Goody's Family Clothing has a locations in like Sedaila and E. Springs in MO. Yonkers,Boston Store has stores in Iowa. Johnny Mac's Sporting Goods is in St. Louis. Shopko has stores in Iowa,Nebraska and Shopko Hometown near by. BJ's Wearhouse is on East Coast. Sportsmen's Wearhouse was to come to Olathe but Bass Pro did. Ramey Price Cutter,Deibergs,Schnucks,Dillons that used to be here,Crest,Winco,Homeland,Gerbes,Kroger and so on Grocery store near by. Other Lumber Yards near by. Modells on East Coast.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

Cosentino's and their "Market 48'" liquor store opened in Bluhawk yesterday. It's really well done and it was packed with people when I went in. Prices seemed more reasonable than I expected. Outside of what you might find in a normal store, it has a gelato area, sushi bar, juice/smoothie counter, large starbucks, and an outside eating area. I would guess they'll end up doing well.

In other news, these places are either open, opening, or a lease has been signed for the first phase.

Nature's Touch Cleaners, Posh Nails, Red Door Grill, Costa Vida, BluHawk Dental Group, a Brow Threading Salon, Three Dog Bakery, Primrose School, Mathnasium, and the Bar Method.

Second phase dirt work is being done, but probably won't start building until 2018.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

As we another Cleaners in area.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

They keep scaling back this thing:

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/de ... 5m-phase-1

An article in today's Star says the Cosmophere will be added "in a later phase." Boy, is that a common theme with these projects. The museum also seems smaller than in earlier versions. I remember a drawing of it that showed a mockup of a Saturn V outside the museum.

The main project also will feature an "outlet center." Because that worked so well in Olathe at the Great Mall.

We'll see in another 10 years...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Outlet center? And this is getting STAR Bonds?
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

mistervinix wrote: The main project also will feature an "outlet center."
Yikes...With Legends recently snagging Michael Kors, Kate Spade, and Coach outlets, I doubt they'd be willing to add a 2nd metro location any time soon, regardless of how much this area would go for them.