119th St from Strang Line-Renner (over I-35) in Olathe

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
ZaEry
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

119th St from Strang Line-Renner (over I-35) in Olathe

Post by ZaEry »

I just wanted to get peoples opinions on this. I did talk to a guy that works for the company that's been doing all these interstate and interchange projects in the johnson county area. I did tell him that 119th St over I-35 should be improved to a six lane bridge. As of right now it isn't in the plans but I think he did tell me they did talk about it. I just don't think that four lanes is enough anymore. Here is other changes that should also be done along with making 119th a six lane bridge. The southbound entrance ramp currently is a double left turn and a single right turn. It should be improved to a double right turn, and if 119th does become six lanes then make the southbound entrance a triple left turn. The northbound entrance is currently a double right turn and single left turn. They should make it a double left turn. Also eastbound on 119th St has no right turn to go south on I-35 and I think one should be added.

I personally think that the traffic on the 119th St bridge over I-35 is heavier than what it's meant to handle. What do you guys think?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 119th St from Strang Line-Renner (over I-35) in Olathe

Post by mean »

I occasionally have to traverse it during rush hour and it has never seemed all that bad to me, at least going eastbound from Renner toward 35. Congested, sure, but not unbearable.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I avoid it during rush hour at all cost. I thought there were plans to reconstruct it in the next five years, but maybe not?
Mizzou05
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Mizzou05 »

The Santa Fe/135th Street bridge needs to be redesigned before 119th is tackled. The I-35 northbound exit onto Santa Fe going east is a nightmare.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcmetro wrote:I avoid it during rush hour at all cost. I thought there were plans to reconstruct it in the next five years, but maybe not?
if there were count on it being axed with Kansas' budget issues. I would expect federal help to go to road projects bringing more matching money like they have for rail projects.

And Johnson County is going to be tied up with repairing actually old bridges and fnishing the JoCo Gateway. Unless it wants to raise taxes.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Mizzou05 wrote:The Santa Fe/135th Street bridge needs to be redesigned before 119th is tackled. The I-35 northbound exit onto Santa Fe going east is a nightmare.
+1. But, that bridge is, what?, only 4 or 5 years old, right? Pretty sure it was re-built not too long ago.

It's going to be a major challenge to re-design that off ramp onto eastbound Santa Fe, though, with Clairborne Rd intersection being so close. A major re-design with some re-routing will probably have to occur. I'm thinking something similar to the 69 Hwy north bound off ramp onto 95th street.

What would be sweet is if there there were on and/or off ramps for either/or 111th (college blvd) and 127th. Either would significantly reduce traffic over 119th and Santa Fe bridges.