NE JoCo teardowns

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

NE JoCo teardowns

Post by KCMax »

Northeast Johnson County starting over with teardowns

After a lull caused by the 2008 recession, the pace of teardowns has picked up considerably. People drawn to the area’s quality of life and convenient access are willing to pay $200,000 or more for a functional house, raze it and then drop another $650,000 or more on a new home.
The phenomenon is happening in the gamut of neighborhoods — expensive Mission Hills and more modest but tony neighborhoods in Fairway and Prairie Village. It’s bringing back and retaining young families and reinforcing property values in communities prized for their location and stability....

Mayor Ron Shaffer of Prairie Village agreed his community’s location near such urban attractions was a major reason why teardowns were occurring there.
One of the more encouraging benefits, he noted, is teardowns allow growing families to stay in Prairie Village rather than relocate farther south in Johnson County.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: NE JoCo teardowns

Post by KCPowercat »

Better than greenfield development obviously but eff, 4500 sf? Damn.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCPowercat wrote:Better than greenfield development obviously but eff, a modest 4500 sf? Damn.
FYP
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I was also taken aback by the use of the word "modest." whoa
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

my house is modest and I can't get to 2000 square feet without including the garage
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

it's "modest" in terms of square footage by $1M home standards in KC. dude could have a 9,000 sq ft house in Lionsgate or Hallbrook. but yeah, a poor choice of words.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I love the part of the story where the guy admits he has laid out over a million bucks for his home on -- pause -- Homestead Drive. Take a drive over there. It's a 1950s ranch neighborhood. I think Homestead is the nicest road in that immediate area, but a million bucks would get you something in the newer part of Mission Hills (south of Tomahawk).