Oak Park Mall

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Oak Park Mall

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: There is a j crew on the plaza
I know. If you read the earlier posts there was a complaint about the local J. Crew stores being geared towards teenagers opposed to their stores in larger cities. I don't shop at J. Crew, but I know many still see them as relevant compared to some of the other crap at malls. 
studentper wrote: I don't think the huge BR and Gap on the plaza were such a good idea.  The two locations seem to be about 1/2 sale merchandise, which is great for me, but can't be good for the brand image.  I was in the Plaza BR the weekend before last, and the store was empty of people, merchandise, and staff.  Just my 2 cents.
Gap is downsizing a lot of their larger stores. Very hard to do that with those huge footprints on the Plaza. The staleness of those stores has more to do with the stale culture of that corporation than that location. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved both concepts into one building and had different concepts on different levels.
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Oak Park Mall

Post by kanasalumn »

trailerkid wrote: I know. If you read the earlier posts there was a complaint about the local J. Crew stores being geared towards teenagers opposed to their stores in larger cities. I don't shop at J. Crew, but I know many still see them as relevant compared to some of the other crap at malls. 

Gap is downsizing a lot of their larger stores. Very hard to do that with those huge footprints on the Plaza. The staleness of those stores has more to do with the stale culture of that corporation than that location. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved both concepts into one building and had different concepts on different levels.
just 3-4 years ago Eddie Bauer condense from being the whole block to only half of the block at the Plaza.

I am asking one of my friends about who is going into the old BMW store, but they do not know as of now.  Eddie Bauer was going to be moved there from what I have heard, but now they are staying at current location until a couple other stores relocate or move out
Lenexan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Oak Park Mall renovation + tenants (ongoing)

Post by Lenexan »

FYI, Barnes and Noble opens tomorrow.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Lenexan wrote: FYI, Barnes and Noble opens tomorrow.
http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1115160.html

=D>

It looks ginormous.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Meh  :?  Could care less.  Not like there are plenty of bookstores all over the Metro area and Amazon.com works really great too.  I haven't been to Oak Park Mall in a very long time. Have no real reason to go out to that area.  Just like I don't have any pressing needs to go to VW/Legends.  As much as I am about "size", I think I'll pass on it. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i'm glad to see another B+N open in the area.  sometimes if i want something, but do not have time to order it online, i'll have to check the b+n website to see what store in town has what i want in stock.  a new, huge b+n helps me in this regard. 

i've gone to oak park mall twice in the past year or so, and each time i sort of got really anxious and had to leave the mall within five minutes of arriving.  malls suck. 
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

How does it compare to the Plaza location in size?  Remember the Plaza's is 4 stories.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Midtownkid wrote: How does it compare to the Plaza location in size?  Remember the Plaza's is 4 stories.
i would think that the typical big box B+N is larger than the plaza b+n.  the plaza store is four stories, but each floor is pretty small compared to the huge one-level stores. 

the plaza b+n has a better selection of more obscure/weird books than the suburban locations though.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

BN will add a nice element to Oak Park. As Chrizow mentioned...there is something anxiety-producing about this mall and having a nice, large bookstore will hopefully help reduce that a bit.

Now when are they going to build a new Dillard's and level that awfully dated mens/kids/home store?
Midtownkid wrote: How does it compare to the Plaza location in size?  Remember the Plaza's is 4 stories.
I did a little research...

Plaza BN = 44,000 square feet
Oak Park = 35,000 square feet
Zona = 33,000 square feet
Town Center = 30,000 square feet
Independence = 30,000 square feet

No idea how much of each store is actual sales floor or how many square feet the downtown location will have?  :wink:
Last edited by trailerkid on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

Downtown location?!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

wetpaint wrote: Downtown location?!
:wink:
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Corbin Park 2010.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

When did we start using Central West End? To try to sound like a bigger city?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

NDTeve wrote: When did we start using Central West End? To try to sound like a bigger city?
Yes, Central West End does make us sound like a bigger city.
KC is the way to be!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Touche.
That is good news. Wanted to start killing fools if we were gonna resort to that.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Lenexan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Lenexan »

geeman68 wrote: Meh  :?  Could care less.  Not like there are plenty of bookstores all over the Metro area and Amazon.com works really great too.  I haven't been to Oak Park Mall in a very long time. Have no real reason to go out to that area.  Just like I don't have any pressing needs to go to VW/Legends.  As much as I am about "size", I think I'll pass on it. 
Hmm, I think it's personally great to see a major bookstore add a location given this economy.  I'm not a huge Borders fan and as a B&N member it's cheaper (with the discounts) to get a book there than it is online at Amazon, which I use for DVDs.  Given that I live in Lenexa, it is great to now have a B&N location at OP Mall, rather than having to go to Town Center (which is a good location too).  I'm also hopeful that perhaps the new B&N will have a bigger fiction selection than the one at Town Center, which is somewhat limited at times. 
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

what is going next to Chick Fil A.  My mom said Chedders, but it look too small for that
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

just found out it will be AT&T store, that is too boring
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

But Cheedars Casual Cafe is going where Firestone use to be.
Oh good a Chief,Royals,Wizards and so on next in the Mall.
Last edited by mgsports on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

mgsports wrote: But Cheedars Casual Cafe is going where Firestone use to be.

ahh that makes sense

ALso I love that there is that Jayhawks store in the mall