KCK Update

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

KCK Update

Post by mgsports »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: KCK Update

Post by kboish »

The high-rise in downtown KCK is getting Tax Credits for a make-over. This is some of the 1st development news/investment in the area that I've heard in quite sometime and is much needed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... e-kck.html

In addition to this I know that there have been about 20 new houses constructed along Quindaro and maybe 4-5 rehabs of existing structures between roughly 10th and 27th street. A large investment for that area considering how incredibly blighted it is. I believe they were built with NSP3 $$.
KSTHANE
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KSTHANE »

I'm pretty disappointed by that Autozone location. I drove by a few weeks ago and saw them prepping the site and thought they were rehabbing a cool old building...a few days later it was torn down. This is a major intersection in an old part of KCK and now two of the corners have aftermarket auto parts retailers in bland boxes. Another corner has a nice stone structure left with a mattress store as a tenant and the last corner of the intersection has an old, run down mechanic's garage.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

^As the gateway from NE JoCo and I-70 into some of KCK's best inner city neighborhoods with the most potential, I definitely agree with that corner was a poor choice for KCK to allow said store. In the link mgsports originally gave, there's a letter from a nearby property owner who feels exactly the same way.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I attended the dedication ceremony for the New Downtown KC, KS Metro Center. It is very nice and Minnesota Ave is primed for residential and commercial redevelopment, IMO.
Also the almost 100 year old Winkler Clock, fully restored to it's original geared working condition was unveiled and looks beautiful. This will be a landmark for DT KC, KS for another 100 years.

Last edited by justin8216 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Stockton wrote:^As the gateway from NE JoCo and I-70 into some of KCK's best inner city neighborhoods with the most potential, I definitely agree with that corner was a poor choice for KCK to allow said store. In the link mgsports originally gave, there's a letter from a nearby property owner who feels exactly the same way.
Well that is all well and good but the fact is the city doesn't have developers knocking down their doors to redevelop Central Ave. That being said the planning staff held Auto Zone's developer to fairly high standards. It won't be another gray cinder block "box" as your call it but will be an attractive brick building. This will certainly be an improvement over what was there before and is better than nothing new being built at all. Hopefully this will be a catalyst for further redevelopment of Central Ave.

Here is a link to the UG planning report with renderings and details of the Auto Zone development:

http://www.wycokck.org/WorkArea/Downloa ... x?id=36324
KSTHANE
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KSTHANE »

Anyone know what's getting put in around 13th and Washington Blvd? There are two small buildings with activity going on, definitely some small, local entrepeneurs getting ready to open something. I'm worried that at least one of them will be another liquor store, the second building was formerly a barber shop and I'm thinking that could be in the process of upgrading and becoming one again. The buildings in question are across from the Arrow dry cleaning facility.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the 13th St Liquor store just go away. Would be helpful for anyone that isn't into buying drugs on the street.