Merriam Town Center

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Merriam Town Center

Post by GRID »

It's been a few years, enough time to decide if Merriam Town Center was successful or not. (I-35 & Johnson Drive)

Although it is a big box development, I think Merriam did the right thing and has not only changed its image but helped clean up the entire I-35 corridor going into KCK and KCMO.

I say this because I would rather see this type of development replace the Blue Ridge Mall than continue to watch it decay every day. Before long, the decaying Blue Ridge Mall will start to spread into the neighborhoods around it and people will start to give up.

I know they took a lot of homes and businesses in the area, but as with Blue Ridge Mall, they have a high profile location and a ton of commuter traffic to tap into.

I believe the Merriam Town Center is still fully leased as well.

Any thoughts?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Merriam Town Center

Post by KC0KEK »

Does anybody have any photos of the neighborhood that used to be there? I never saw it.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Merriam Town Center

Post by phxcat »

No pictures, but I used to drive by there all the time. On Johnsons Drive there was a crappy apartment complex. The area had been designated as "blighted", which is what allowedthem to tear it all down.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Merriam Town Center

Post by KC0KEK »

Sweet Tomatoes was set to build a restaurant there but apparently backed out. For the better part of a year, their ads listed a Merriam Town Center location as "coming soon."

Are there any official guidelines that a municpality can use to determine when an area is blighted?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Merriam Town Center

Post by dangerboy »

I bet it gets a lot of traffic from people in Downtown and Midtown. It's fairly close-in, compared to places like Independence or Barry Road. Blue Ridge Mall could even more successful with all of the people around it and it's proximity to the growing urban neighborhoods. It would be a good location for Target, movies, etc. AMC won't build there since it's too close to Indep., but maybe Dickinson? TrailerGlen or GhettoGlen perhaps?
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Merriam Town Center

Post by KCLofts »

They do have a Cinemark theater there, but I wouldn't recommend it. Its overrun with kids. Nothing else in the area to do I guess.

I think this center is successful. I sometimes drive there from downtown to go to the Hen House, which is a nice place. They have a pretty good variety of stores. A Target here would be great, and they could use a few more restaurants as well.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Merriam Town Center

Post by KC0KEK »

I doubt that they'd put in a Target because a) there's no room and b) there's a Target a mile or so away in Mission. A Kohl's might be a good fit, though, but again, there's no room.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Merriam Town Center

Post by KCK »

GRID wrote:It's been a few years, enough time to decide if Merriam Town Center was successful or not. (I-35 & Johnson Drive)

Although it is a big box development, I think Merriam did the right thing and has not only changed its image but helped clean up the entire I-35 corridor going into KCK and KCMO.

I say this because I would rather see this type of development replace the Blue Ridge Mall than continue to watch it decay every day. Before long, the decaying Blue Ridge Mall will start to spread into the neighborhoods around it and people will start to give up.

I know they took a lot of homes and businesses in the area, but as with Blue Ridge Mall, they have a high profile location and a ton of commuter traffic to tap into.

I believe the Merriam Town Center is still fully leased as well.

Any thoughts?
The only reason the cinemark movie theater here is successful is because there is no indoor movie theater in KCK. By the way, I am well aware that they reopened the indian Springs theaters, but that theater sits almost all alone, in a dead mall that is located in not the best part of town. A theater near I635 and shawnee drive, or I70 and 78th street in KCK, or better yet, both. Since when could a city of 147,000 not support two movie theaters. The reason that they dont build one in KCK is that they are afraid of hurting the Johnson county businesses. The problem with this is that Johnson county gets the development, taxes, and jobs caused by this mentality, and Wyandote county becomes a bedroom community.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Merriam Town Center

Post by TheDude »

doing really well, pulling down around $250 psf in sales which is respectable in the retail arena. the alternative was a bunch of slummed out apartments and rental housing.
"ALWAYS be closing"
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Merriam Town Center

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I think they should build some new apartments in the area. These places need lots of peeps in close proximity to be successful for very long.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Merriam Town Center

Post by KCK »

QueSi2Opie wrote:I think they should build some new apartments in the area. These places need lots of peeps in close proximity to be successful for very long.
They don't need a lot of people living in that area to support those stores, they have all the KCK customers who are starved for retail flooding into Merriam. Believe me, go to the cinemark or Home Depot, half the cars there have Wyandotte County tags.

I expand on this in saying that KCK Unified Government should loosen their iron grip on developers out by village west, and allow them to add as much housing as possible in close proximity. This will help establish a regular customer base that lives in the area, although it wouldn't help the mayor's "Tourist" theme.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Merriam Town Center

Post by Good2Great »

Don't forget the amount of customers they get who work or live downtown! Petco, GNC and Dick's are specialty stores that are not present downtown. They also get a ton of customers who drive I-35 each day form the MO side or south JoCo folks who work downtown and can swing by on the way home.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Merriam Town Center

Post by GRID »

GRID wrote:I know they took a lot of homes and businesses in the area, but as with Blue Ridge Mall, they have a high profile location and a ton of commuter traffic to tap into.
Your not listening to me, go to your room.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Merriam Town Center

Post by QueSi2Opie »

DeadManWalking wrote:They don't need a lot of people living in that area to support those stores, they have all the KCK customers who are starved for retail flooding into Merriam. Believe me, go to the cinemark or Home Depot, half the cars there have Wyandotte County tags.
Give it 3 years, the Turner district in KCK will have their own big box stores off Shawnee Drive or Metropolitan.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Merriam Town Center

Post by TheDude »

stay tuned, there is something big in the works for that area which includes retail and apartments. will be announced within next 3 months.

drinking a Mojito in SoBe MIA--dude out.
"ALWAYS be closing"
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Merriam Town Center

Post by Missionite »

I don't agree with this one bit. I feel Merriam Town Center was a good project as much of the housing in that area was run down and something needed to happen. The retail area as a whole has also been a large success in Northern Johnson County. However, there is still a little room to expand on the current Merriam Town Center site.

Do these plans mean that houses and properties between Johnson Drive and SM Parkway would be razed for new development? If so, I think that is ridiculous. Those houses are not run down and we do not need more big box stores in northern JoCo. We already have Home Depot, Dick's, Office Max, Marshall's, Wal-Mart and Target. I don't want Northern JoCo to become Southern JoCo.

As for the site at 67th and I-35...that's fine for redevelopment. The old AT&T/Lucent building just sits there empty.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Merriam Town Center

Post by eliphar17 »

I want to see a map of Kansas City with all the TIF districts shaded, so we can see how much property tax money our communities are forfeiting to developers to do what they should be doing on their own.