IKEA may be coming to Merriam Village

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: IKEA may be coming to Merriam Village

Post by zlohban »

A company I once worked for choose the Kansas side of the metro to simply be able to color in another state on the US map since they already had a St. Louis location. Ego first money second.....
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

The Johnson Dr. & I-35 location would probably make the most sense, since it's halfway between south JOCO folks and downtown/Plaza residents. It would be MUCH closer to the JOCO people than NFM, so it would probably steal quite a bit of NFM's customers. And it's right off a major Interstate.

The Bannister site would probably make sense geographically too, but who knows if they want to take a chance on putting a store in that location. Not that I think it would fail or anything, but it would probably benefit from being near a more thriving retail destination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see the suburbs as Ikea target market demographic....and amazingly if they did, there are about 60% more suburbs out there than just JoCo...shocking I knwo.
winB
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by winB »

I circled that Merriam site last night be it as I'm only about 4 blocks from there. It's a good sized lot but I just can't picture it having enough space for shipping docks, loading docks and parking. I would imagine they'd have to go with a multi-story parking garage like I've seen at a few of their locales.

Part of me also wonders if this rumor was floated out there to draw eyes toward the empty retail at the top of the hill.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote:I don't see the suburbs as Ikea target market demographic....and amazingly if they did, there are about 60% more suburbs out there than just JoCo...shocking I knwo.
But almost all Ikeas I have seen are in the burbs. Usually way out there.

This is still just a rumor at this point too.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Very true they do.... Probably mostly due to space requirements.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCMax wrote:
This is still just a rumor at this point too.
Joyce Smith (retail reporter for the Star) didn't mention Ikea in her Tuesday column. She did check into it.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Only the KC Business Journal has said the Rumor and she doesn't posted something to it's offical.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I think this is actually a pretty excellent location for IKEA.

IMO, putting in an IKEA is a little bit like creating a new city dump or waste water treatment plant. It is a good amenity overall for the community, but not something your city should spend $$$ on. Throwing an IKEA up on the KS side will make them liable for all infrastructure (read car traffic) necessary for the thing to get built. There's also a high probability that the city would need to provide incentives which is not something KCMO should be doing. Let KCMO worry about being a city and have the 'burbs step up when it comes to attracting big box chains.

Put it next to a clogged freeway a few minutes from the freeway and be done with it. Who cares where it goes...
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The tax revenues coming out of an IKEA would be a HUGE benefit for smaller cities like Merriam.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

KCPowercat wrote:I don't see the suburbs as Ikea target market demographic....and amazingly if they did, there are about 60% more suburbs out there than just JoCo...shocking I knwo.
IKEA's target demographic may be particularly urbane, but I typically hear their store designs are not. So if locating in the suburbs because of the need to build a giant suburban-style store, I think JoCo, especially NE JoCo, is absolutely the best choice in the KC area. JoCo is popular with young people in apartments, NE JoCo is popular for starter homes, and overall JoCo is much more urbane than the rest of Kansas City's suburbs.
KCPowercat wrote:I think the best location is by the TSC honestly.... Or Bannister would be great shot in the arm as well.

That said.... This location would be fine I think
Seriously? The TSC with its poor surroundings and sandwiched location between two blue-collar cities doesn't support your above statement at all. I agree though that it would be a shot in the arm at either of the locations you mentioned though. It would be a great anchor for the proposed Bannister retail redevelopment.

With that said, being from KCK (just like you are), I wouldn't mind IKEA replacing Indian Springs. Then at least the store would be equidistant from the urban core, JoCo and the northland. Even Village West would be cool. After all, IKEA is very much a destination-oriented retailer.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Also excellent highway access to I-70 and I-635, plus the planned addition of a pseudo-MAX line that will connect Legends to DT via State Street. This is my new favorite idea for an Ikea location.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

I rather see them close to Zona Rosa and the airport. The new shopping area where Best Buy, Targe and Home Depot are would be good, I think it is nort of 152 and east of I-29.

I think makes sense for them since they would be close to the airport and customers would have a good place to hang out afterwards.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's also the redevelopment of Antioch Center.

It's physically closest to downtown of any current shopping center and is an area in need of revitalization.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCBJ continues to report interest at this site...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... for-a.html
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I think that's the same article as before, just on the other side of the paywall now.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Umm, it does not matter one bit where they put it. It will probably come down to where they can get the best deal with the most visiblity. IKEA's draw from about a 2-3 million population radius and are destinations. It "could" be in Raytown or the West Bottoms, wouldn't matter, but they won't do that. They like higher profile locations.

It will be next to a busy interstate (either 70 or 35), that I would pretty much guarantee.

My guess is either is this Merriam site or a location in Independence near 470 or Little Blue.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I would still like to see it at Indian Springs. Easy access to I-70 and I-35/I-29/I-635. The lot is owned by the City and they're actively redeveloping the site. The problem might be any sweetheart deal the Unified Government worked out with Nebraska Furniture Mart.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Olathe Gateway? Where almost empty Metcalf South is,by where Menards is going in Belton,Lees Summit Place.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

heatherkay wrote:I would still like to see it at Indian Springs. Easy access to I-70 and I-35/I-29/I-635. The lot is owned by the City and they're actively redeveloping the site. The problem might be any sweetheart deal the Unified Government worked out with Nebraska Furniture Mart.
It would be nice, but I don't think I have ever seen an IKEA go into a location like that. They will sometimes go to an urban browfield, like Philly or NYC, but not really anything like Indian Springs. Plus, they really like busy freeway locations and 70 on the KS side is not a very busy freeway.

But it would be nice if they did something like that.