Lawrence and "The Day After" - 20 years ago today.

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Rooster_Ties »

Link: http://lawrence.com/news/movie_specials/story/124521

Go to the link above, and on the far left-hand side of the page are clips of Lawrence, as it appeared in the original made-for-TV movie. Interesting article too.

I grew up in the St. Louis area, but my wife grew up in KCK, and she said the fact that much of this movie was set in Lawrence was (I guess) somewhat of a big deal around here. (She was in high-school at the time.)

Anyway, interesting article...

Journal-World File Photo

Photo caption: "The TV movie "The Day After," which aired 20 years ago this week, portrayed the destructive result of a nuclear attack on Lawrence. In this downtown scene west of the intersection of Ninth and Massachusetts streets, Weaver's Department Store is visible at far left."
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Rooster_Ties »

Also, scroll down a bit in the article, and there's a sidebar with some audio-clips -- from an interview with the director...
Jon Niccum talks with director Nicholas Meyer, 11.03

Link: Why was Lawrence selected as the site for 'The Day After'
Link: How do you rate the film in retrospect? (part 1 of 2)
Link: How do you rate the film in retrospect? (part 2 of 2)
I'm not gonna try to reproduce the links here in this post. Just look for them in the article (see first post in this thread for the link).
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

One thing I always wondered about that movie was that, if we assume the warheads were of similar strength, why was Kansas City completely obliterated from downtown clear out to the Plaza while the one that hit Lawrence left damage only comparable to a powerful windstorm?
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Well, if you want to get nitpicky, how di people manage to survive? Much less a functional hospital? 20 years- makes me feel old!
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

I was at KU then and was an extra for a day with all of my friends. We skipped classes for a day and had a lot of fun. They ripped up and dirtied our clothes and put makeup wounds on us and we studied during the breaks in shooting. We got to see ourselves for a split second on TV.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

It's hard to believe those images weren't taken last week at Indian Springs Mall.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Good...LOL

But hey now!...The Dotte shall rise again!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Damn that movie still creeps me out. Growing up in west-central Missouri, we had a minuteman missle silo less than a mile from my house and knew many people who worked or were stationed at Whiteman Air Force Base. Very eery hearing the names of places like Sedalia and Warrensburg being destroyed. And the scene of people climbing over the fallen pieces of the Liberty Memorial with the ruined skyline in the background, that one was very powerful.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I was jus' a lil' kid when that movie premiered, sittin' at the laundry mat with my moms watchin' the tube in horror.

Hey G2G...that isn't Indian Springs...looks more like 10th and Minnesota Avenue. 8)
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.