OFFICIAL - Prairiefire

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Prarielife at Lionsgate - large mixed use development an

Post by Eon Blue »

GRID wrote:Absolutely horrendous, terrible, ridiculous project. Not only is this project a poster child for everything that is wrong with KC, it has more public money funding it than most urban core redevelopment projects do.
+1

I wonder if any of the parties involved have taken a step back to just look at how preposterous this is? Nah.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote:Absolutely horrendous, terrible, ridiculous project. Not only is this project a poster child for everything that is wrong with KC, it has more public money funding it than most urban core redevelopment projects do.
Yes. Its only a matter of "is this a more egregious use of public funds than Corbin Park or not?"

Johnson County - such a great place to do business that we have to pay stores to come here!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Something appropriate about an over-the-hill band opening a restaurant in a heavily subsidized exurban greenfield development.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Looks like two members of KISS own the joint.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

how can it be true that JoCo can have more government handouts than liberal KC?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

flyingember wrote:
Good question. The county is a fake that's why. The only county in the state of Kansas worth a shit economically has to be one of the most leaching, propped up subsidized suburban countys in the country.

Without all the subsidies and the ability to leach and poach off of kcmo, I doubt it would be thriving any more than eastern jax or the northland.

I honestly think that KCMO "handouts" have been generally necessary and been worthwhile to not only KC but the entire metro (power and light district, h&r block etc). Maybe they have used tifs a few times in the northland, but even those were just tif and the tifs are going to fund all the new roads up there, not the actual development themselves. This prairie fire projects is a freaking travesty. I'm telling you, if this were going on in the metro DC area, people would go to jail over all this public money going to private development in affluent areas. They don't mess around with that kind of stuff here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

flyingember wrote:
Who controls the state legislatures?

JoCo has a ton of sway in Topeka.

KC is an afterthought in Jeff City.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Not sure if already posted, but the REI website shows an opening date of Sept. 27 for the Prairiefire store. I hate that REI tends to develop in the distant burbs...but, I'll still be making the trek to southern JOCO to check the store out. It will be interesting to see if Backwoods is able to stay in business, being just a block or two away from REI.

In other news, it appears Local Yeti, the local outdoor store slated to open up in Westport had second thoughts after REI announced it was coming to KC. Too bad.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Fresh Market sets September opening in Overland Park’s Prairiefire
he Fresh Market will be the first tenant to open in the long-awaited Prairiefire development in Overland Park.

The Fresh Market, a specialty grocery retailer, plans an 8 a.m. opening on Sept. 4 for its first store in the metro.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

god I hate this project

everything that is wrong with metro kc all wrapped up in one project
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I wonder what became of turning 135th St into a tourist haven (see the original post)?
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Fresh Market

Post by Stockton »

I made a trip to Fresh Market and while it's a nice looking store and I understand the concept, it's really not that big of deal. It's like a Hen House without the center aisles that contain all the basics. I haven't made it to the new Hen House in Corinth Square, but I suspect it's as pleasing of an experience, if not more so, plus it's locally owned.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Construction begins on Prairiefire Villas in Overland Park
The four-bedroom villas, which start at about $850,000, will average 4,500 square feet in 1.5-story floor plans.
Modest!
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Cinetopia Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CinetopiaOverlandPark18

Looks nice. Not too sold on the "marsh" in front of it, though.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Rumor: a friend who works at Burberry told a Bloomingdale's department store is planning on a constructing a stand-alone space at 135th St. near Von Maur. I assume it would be a part of the Prairiefire development.

Obviously no official announcement has been made. The deal could be fake or it just hasn't been finalized yet. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if a department store like that wants to get in on the retail action going on between 119th and 135th street. The demographics are definitely right for a store like Bloomingdale's.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

msmith011 wrote:Rumor: a friend who works at Burberry told a Bloomingdale's department store is planning on a constructing a stand-alone space at 135th St. near Von Maur. I assume it would be a part of the Prairiefire development.

Obviously no official announcement has been made. The deal could be fake or it just hasn't been finalized yet. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if a department store like that wants to get in on the retail action going on between 119th and 135th street. The demographics are definitely right for a store like Bloomingdale's.
That could be why the main retail part of Prairiefire - between the REI and the museum - hasn't broken ground yet. Hmmm.