OFFICIAL - Prairiefire

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Prarielife at Lionsgate - large mixed use development and museum

Post by chrizow »

if 135th and Nall becomes a "tourist haven" for any reason, i will move. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: This is so common with the KC Star and their JoCo residing KU grad writers. That statement will piss a lot of people off, but it's true.  The Star in more ways than one acts like a small town paper with a bunch of interns running it. 
It isn't a Johnson County or KU grad writer thing.  Everywhere I have lived or been in the US thought they had what it took to attract tourists.  Amarillo TX was going to attract tourists with various hairbrained schemes but absolutely nobody went to Amarillo to see Amarillo, it was just a stop on I-40 on the way out west.  Take it for what it is; something to do in south Juco if you happen to find yourself there for a day or are bored with other KCMO area attractions.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Agree with Highlander. Its not a JoCo thing, its a problem that KC Star reporters pretty much parrot what developers say without questioning it, and this occurs whether the development is in JoCo, the Northland or KC.

Collison is a bit better than most, but most of the others seem to take most assertions by developers at face value.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Agree with Highlander. Its not a JoCo thing, its a problem that KC Star reporters pretty much parrot what developers say without questioning it, and this occurs whether the development is in JoCo, the Northland or KC.

Collison is a bit better than most, but most of the others seem to take most assertions by developers at face value.
Its not even a KC Star thing - when was the last time you heard anyone, anywhere comment to the effect Boy I sure am impressed with how much the quality of the journalisim profession is improving and how much more informative and intellectually honest the news product is getting?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't know.  It has always seemed to me that the Star will exaggerate and promote things in JoCo and even WyCo with a more positive twist and ignore developments or do stories with a more negative twist on the MO side  (urban KCMO and suburban MO).

It "could" just me, but that's what I have seen from reading the star everyday for 25 years.

I think if this project were in KCMO or a MO suburb, it would be called out in the Star for what it is.  But in JoCo or out by the speedway it will be almost promoted in the Star.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it's hard to please everyone when you're indisputably the only serious source of general news in town.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

GRID wrote: I don't know.  It has always seemed to me that the Star will exaggerate and promote things in JoCo and even WyCo with a more positive twist and ignore developments or do stories with a more negative twist on the MO side  (urban KCMO and suburban MO).

It "could" just me, but that's what I have seen from reading the star everyday for 25 years.

I think if this project were in KCMO or a MO suburb, it would be called out in the Star for what it is.  But in JoCo or out by the speedway it will be almost promoted in the Star.
The folks in burbs believe the complete opposite
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

It will do good here in Overland Park.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgsports wrote: It will do good here in Overland Park.
Grammarhawk bait!

Melling
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Melling »

mgsports wrote: It will do [well] here in Overland Park.
Why do you think that? 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Read this and tell me the KC Star does not cater to JoCo.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/columnis ... 05982.html

OP did not build this soccer complex as a "regional" attraction.  They built it for OP.

Had they built the stadium, it might be a different story.  But even if they build a stadium they will do with Star Bonds or something.  They won't simply raise cash and build it like KCMO does.  They would probaly STAR bond a company that moved from KCMO to fund the stadium....

The Lionsgate "museum" is nothing more than a big box to land STAR bonds.  It's a 10 million dollar building to get 100 million in tax breaks to build a development in one of the highest income and most desirable suburban communities in the nation.  It's a corporate giveaway like no other, not a gift to the metropolitan area.

This is the same KC Star the BLASTED KCMO for months on end about the Briarcliff Development which used far less aggressive incentives to build an infill development, clear a dump, build an interchange and build structured parking in a location that competes directly with Johnson County. (I believe the Briarciff tiff and the Star's coverage of it was a major reason Funkhouser was ultimately elected).

This is why I hate the KC Star.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Yeah, a follow up to a previous article blasting the county for its lack of cultural support/amenities and celebrating some recent positive steps forward.  The overall tone is about all metro cities needing to bring something to the table.  How controversial and biased!

Much as I hate him, Hendricks seems to be coming off much more humble and open minded than some folks around here. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Melling wrote: Perhaps this could have been the redevelopment of Metcalf South Mall?  I think that would have been consistent with the Vision Metcalf plan.  It would have also been enhanced by the proposed BRT route between Metcalf and the Plaza.  
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: This is the same KC Star the BLASTED KCMO for months on end about the Briarcliff Development which used far less aggressive incentives to build an infill development, clear a dump, build an interchange and build structured parking in a location that competes directly with Johnson County. (I believe the Briarciff tiff and the Star's coverage of it was a major reason Funkhouser was ultimately elected).
Yeah, the Star blasted the city for the "Super TIFF" for the hotel.  But don't forget that was rushed through the council and it was justified because of some "secret" agreement between the developer and a council member or two.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Prairiefire development in Overland Park gets tax incentives
Prairiefire, a mixed-use development proposed for 135th Street in Overland Park, has been approved for $66 million in state tax incentives through the STAR bond program.

The 60-acre project would be anchored by a 30,000-square-foot museum space for exhibits produced by the New York-based American Museum of Natural History. Other aspects of the $575 million plan being pursued by Merrill Cos. of Overland Park include retail, restaurants, offices, a hotel and loft apartments...

Merrill said the project has lined up preliminary support for half the retail space, and is expected to announce two major anchor tenants by the end of the year.

knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

a simple question for AKP

What do you think of giving $66 million in tax breaks to a retail development at 135th and Nall?

Where does that fit in on your outrage meter?
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

KCMax wrote: Grammarhawk bait!
Perhaps he meant that it will rescue kittens from trees and help little old ladies cross the street.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mudjack wrote: Perhaps he meant that it will rescue kittens from trees and help little old ladies cross the street.
Sorry, you can't cross streets in OP.  Cross might be take to indicate religious preference.  You might wish to navigate your way through an intersection, but if you have some elder in tow, you're never going to make any of those lights. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

knucklehead wrote: a simple question for AKP (You really asked two questions.)

What do you think of giving $66 million in tax breaks to a retail development at 135th and Nall?

Where does that fit in on your outrage meter?
#1  Not a resident of KS so if the state of KS wants to give $66M in tax breaks then sobeit.

#2  Have a limited understanding of STAR bonds.  Understand, though, that at least the local tax authorities will get to keep 100% of taxes, other than sales taxes, so at least there is a growth in the tax base.

#3  Given the current retail environment this does not appear to be a good use of tax breaks but see #1 above.

#4  The tourist attraction just might pay off.  Afterall, not too far away there is the Della Rose Farm which attracts almost 500,000 annual visitors, close to the number for the KC Zoo, and it will have exhibits unique to the KC area.

#5  The state gives up $66M in sales taxes to get a $575M investment.  So the owners are kicking in over $500M.  Better numbers than many of the TIFF projects approved by KCMO.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Glad to see you have no problem with handing out large tax breaks in affluent areas. I assumed that was you position but wanted confirmation.