From Johnson's County Gazette

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

From Johnson's County Gazette

Post by mgsports »

Lowe's planning to build near 175th Street and I-35 sometime when the economy turns around.
Backyard Burgers has closed in Olathe at I-35 and rumored to be replaced with Church's Chicken Rumor and Noah's Ark Gift Shop moved to the same shopping center and moved to Baskin Robbins former place was for 30 years.
Hearing Rumors that the Great Mall will become part Legoland and part Restaruants. Red Development may be the new owners. Some day it will be razed. The Land will become so insanely vaulable that it won't support the illfated Great Mall of the Great Plains.
Last edited by mgsports on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: From Johnson's County Gazette

Post by NDTeve »

So RED is moving Legoland to the Great Mall? Not a bad idea.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

so is Legoland really into reality???  Is it more reality than we thought about the Oz theme park in DeSoto that failed
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

legoland is dead in kc.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

What a bunch of crap for a part of town that already needs help.  Add to it the loss of jobs (Embarq and Sprint to name a few) and the recession we're in lasting for years and this area is only going to get worse.
Calling a spade a spade.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

The only recent news I have heard on The Great Mall is that their owners, Glimcher Realty Trust, is planning to close on the sale of the mall in December of this year.  The unamed buyers have only come up with ten percent of the capital needed.  In the current economic conditions, I feel that the mall will sort of stay like it is.  I would be surprised to see if the proposed buyer will be able to come up with enough money.
Each week we see retailers closing stores, going out of business, and putting brakes on their expansion plans.  Every city all over the country will be affected by the lack of willing tenants to occupy space.

As far as Legoland is concerned, I also feel that it will not plan a KC location in the near or far future.  As an owner of commercial property and the opinion of several other experts I know, the economy has yet to feel the full impact of commercial property collapsing like the housing industry has already done.

Expect to see ghost malls and empty strip centers  far into 2010, that is if we are lucky.  The same thing happened to TX in the oil bust in the 80s, only this will be national.  On the positive, TX came out stronger when it was all over.

I hope my feeling is wrong, but I doubt it.

Last edited by GuyInLenexa on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
valcour
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by valcour »

mgsports wrote: Backyard Burgers has closed in Olathe at I-35 and rumored to be replaced with Church's Chicken
This has happened - Church's is open at the old Backyard Burger site (just east of I-35 on Santa Fe/135th Street.  Picked up some chicken there the other night, and it was pretty good.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

NDTeve wrote: So RED is moving Legoland to the Great Mall? Not a bad idea.
This idea was kicked around by Olathe city leadership like 3 years ago. Legoland wasn't into it.