Mission/Johnson Drive Development

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
BEERMAN
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Mission/Johnson Drive Development

Post by BEERMAN »

Maybe Hartman should clean up the isles his store and get with the times.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

ComandanteCero wrote: but it's apparent these folks talked to their lawyer and have figured that this would be the best way to stop the changes that are set out in the recent community plan without actually coming out and saying "we are against what the community agreed on last year because it has an adverse impact on our two businesses".
Not sure if it matters one to anyone one way or the other, but Hartman at least was an active opponent even before the ordinance passed last year, collecting signatures and what not.  I suppose to his credit, he's willing to use whatever political/legal means he can to do what he thinks is best for his business.  Annoying, for sure, but mostly because I disagree with him.  Pretty smart move in support of a dumb position.
Shasta
Surface Lot

Post by Shasta »

BEERMAN wrote: Maybe Hartman should clean up the isles his store and get with the times.

Maybe if Hartman gains enough notoriety as a non-supporter of the proposed redevelopment, he won't get the support of the locals in his business anymore and he'll have to close. I wonder if this has crossed his mind?

I have been in Hartman's store several times recently, but with another old-time hardware store a couple of blocks away, I know which one I'll be going to from now on. The one with the clean aisles...
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Shasta wrote: The one with the clean aisles...
I do prefer Mack True Value by a wide margin.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Not much Mission development news of late, but did run across some renderings for the proposed land swap deal that will allow Capitol Federal to put a new building on the vacant SW corner of Nall and Johnson drive.  Man, with the Commerce Bank at the other end, Mission is all about the banks, I guess.

Minutes of the Jan council meeting shed no new light on East Gateway, other than to acknowledge the poor development climate.

I like the off-street parking in front with the lot behind, as well as the pedestrian-friendly street facing of the bank and potential "future building."  We'll see.  Nice enough bank building, I guess.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

That does look like a pretty sound design.  Looks like the architect took the name "Mission" to heart - you could easily mistake that bank for a spanish/catholic indian mission.  :D
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but the "Gateway Life" space that was in the strip mall is now for sale. Not a good omen.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: That does look like a pretty sound design.  Looks like the architect took the name "Mission" to heart - you could easily mistake that bank for a spanish/catholic indian mission.   :D
Mission adopted some design guidelines sometime in the past few years encouraging construction in keeping with that theme.  I don't know if it was just based on the city name, or the Mission Mart strip mall, or what.  The Mission MedVet and Sylvester Powell Community Center were also done in that style within the last decade (the former poorly, and the latter quite well, in my opinion)...not sure if those were after or before the design guidelines.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So we have gone from massive, high density mixed use redevelopments with condo towers and hotels to the site plans of drive through banks?

Pretty much sums up why everybody talks about sports on this forum now ;)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: So we have gone from massive, high density mixed use redevelopments with condo towers and hotels to the site plans of drive through banks?

Pretty much sums up why everybody talks about sports on this forum now ;)
Hey it is a significant change in development trends - just a few years ago what would have been the odds of a bank getting built anywhere in JoCo without a big set-back behind a donut of parking lot?  Safe to say zero, I suspect. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hey it is a significant change in development trends - just a few years ago what would have been the odds of a bank getting built anywhere in JoCo without a big set-back behind a donut of parking lot?   Safe to say zero, I suspect. 
It wouldn’t have surprised me in Mission.  That city has been trying to change local development trends for some time.  Too bad the market crashed before they really got a chance to see what they really could do with it and too bad developers that were willing to building something a bit more urban ran off to Leawood and other places.  Mission seems to be getting overlooked, even when the economy was booming.
BrooksideGuy
Surface Lot

Post by BrooksideGuy »

Supposedly the developers now have 60% committment for leases for the new Gateway project. They recently received a significant committment from a major department store. Unfortunately, now that they have these committments they can't get the credit line to begin construction.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Their financing is still in place.  They are trying to line up pre-development funds to bridge the gap until financing is finalized.
Last edited by zonk on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brotherdarrell
Pad site
Pad site

Post by brotherdarrell »

word is one of the tenents was supposed to be Nordstrom Rack.  Good get
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Probley more Commercial going next to that Bank.
A Major Department store would be good like Ross Dress for less or TJMAXX and More in East Gateway.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That bank looks more like Santa Barbara and nothing like the territorial style of the Shawnee Indian Mission from which all the "mission" nomenclatures in JoCo sprang.  The architect should have done some local research, like get in a car and drive over to Mission Rd.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I still like it. 
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

moderne wrote: That bank looks more like Santa Barbara and nothing like the territorial style of the Shawnee Indian Mission from which all the "mission" nomenclatures in JoCo sprang.  The architect should have done some local research, like get in a car and drive over to Mission Rd.
who cares...at this point i want any investment, any development, any jobs.....BUILD IT!
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

moderne wrote: That bank looks more like Santa Barbara and nothing like the territorial style of the Shawnee Indian Mission from which all the "mission" nomenclatures in JoCo sprang.  The architect should have done some local research, like get in a car and drive over to Mission Rd.
Yeah, I always think that's weird too generally speaking, but I'm not so sure at this point that architects are trying to reflect the Shawnee Indian Mission as the other mission-style development in the area.  Kind of anachronistic (or some variation of that word that accounts for place as well), but a lot better than it could be, I think.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Mission and joco have always had a variety of "mission" style  buildings.