Olathe and 3 closed Italian eateries

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Olathe and 3 closed Italian eateries

Post by GuyInLenexa »

What is the Tool Shed?  Are you talking about the Machine Shed?
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

justin8216 wrote: Did anybody else know the Tool Shed is also vacant? Add another one.
Been vacant for over a year. And you mean Machine Shed.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Unless you're talking about a sweet little dive bar on 40 highway in Independence.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

It seem that there has been a lot of problems with businesses that located on Strang Line Rd.  I think that the freeway visibility never matched the accessability of the location.  Strang Line is almost (as far as commercial traffic goes) a dead end street.  As you go south you can either go on the sleepy residential thruway of Mur-Len or wind alongside the freeway on Rogers Rd., eventually zig zagging intul you can get on Santa Fe near Perkin's.  Outside of the funnel of congestion on the I35/119th interchange it is not that easy to get to the locations(southbound on Strang Line). 
Tres Hombres (sp?), Gambucci's, Cararraba's, Jazz, Machine Shed, and several others seemed to leave.  Michael's even moved to Olathe Pointe, not to mention the State of KS Travel Center had to leave.
I am afraid that the area around the Bass Pro shop may have the same problem.  Perhaps if the 127th St. overpass had freeway access it may have helped.  Time will tell.
I do know this, it should be of no concern to any Wyco forum menbers on the places closing in JOCO or Olathe.  I would be more concerned on what will fill the gaping hole Linen's and Things will leave in The Legends.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Unless you're talking about a sweet little dive bar on 40 highway in Independence.
I think it is the name of a gay bar in Topeka also. :lol:
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

GuyInLenexa wrote: I think it is the name of a gay bar in Topeka also. :lol:
Where has annie been lately?
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

bbqboy wrote: Where has annie been lately?
I thought there was something missing, Annie where are you?
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

GuyInLenexa wrote: .......would be more concerned on what will fill the gaping hole Linen's and Things will leave in The Legends.
I haven't heard anything about the Linen's and Things chain being liquidated. If that is true than Lenexa needs to be worried also. They already Have a vacant Circuit City in the Orchard's Corner SC across from Oak Park Mall, then add to that a vacant Linen's and things and oh boy. If Linen and Things goes then you can bet that Gordman's will be next. After that they might as well tear that shopping center down.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I went to Bed Bath and Beyond down at 119th and Metcalf this weekend to spend a gift card.

The whole 119th Street corridor is starting to look like Bannister with the vacant Comp USA, also I noticed now the La z Boy furniture gallery is out of business.

The time of 119th St being KC's premier retail area with all the nationals entering the KC market there is long gone as development competition along 135th and 159th Street has created severely overbuilt retail development in Johnson County. It is increasingly difficult for businesses out there to survive in this oversaturated reatail climate as evidenced by 119th and Strang Line in Olathe.

It would seem that the premier retail development locations are now Western KC KS, Leawood and Downtown KCMO and now that more people from outside JOCO are spending their money in their own cities, Johnson County is going to have to start tackling what to do with all their excess capacity in retail space.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

If you don't like JOCO so much, why do you seem to spend an enourmous amount of your life there? You come on here at least once a week to say something else useless about JOCO, if you don't like it, don't go there and spend your money there.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

justin8216 wrote: I went to Bed Bath and Beyond down at 119th and Metcalf this weekend to spend a gift card.

The whole 119th Street corridor is starting to look like Bannister with the vacant Comp USA, also I noticed now the La z Boy furniture gallery is out of business.

The time of 119th St being KC's premier retail area with all the nationals entering the KC market there is long gone as development competition along 135th and 159th Street has created severely overbuilt retail development in Johnson County. It is increasingly difficult for businesses out there to survive in this oversaturated reatail climate as evidenced by 119th and Strang Line in Olathe.

It would seem that the premier retail development locations are now Western KC KS, Leawood and Downtown KCMO and now that more people from outside JOCO are spending their money in their own cities, Johnson County is going to have to start tackling what to do with all their excess capacity in retail space.
I can't stand JoCo, but 119th and Metcalf is fine.  It never was a "premeir" retail destination unless you think target, walmart, bestbuy and price chopper are premeir.

I'm not sure KC even has a "premeir" shopping area anymore.  At one time it was the plaza and I would still say that would be the case today, but for the most part, that really doesn't exist in KC.

BTW, if there was one area of town that is time stamped, it would be western wyco.  The population just isn't there.

Plaza at the speedway will do well (even though it should have gone in along I-70 someplace east of 435, but it will still do well.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Laz Boy Furniture is still on 135th Street. The one on 119th Street is closed meaning space available since the new one has opened.
You don't have to worry before you know it Wal-mart at 119th Street and Metcalf Avenue will become a Supercenter and fill up some of the empty Spaces over their.
Lonestar is also closed on Metcalf Avenue.
I don't think Gordman's will close. Maybe Target expand over their into a Super or Greatland Target.
Theirs still lots of shopping centers being built by 119th Street and Metcalf Avenue and 119th Street in Olathe to.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

justin8216 wrote: I went to Bed Bath and Beyond down at 119th and Metcalf this weekend to spend a gift card.

La Z Boy did not go out of business, they moved to a larger and nicer store on 135th.  CompUSA closed 126 stores when they were bought out last year.
Even if fifty percent of JOCOs retail were to fold up tomorrow, it would never look as desolate as Indian Springs or Minnesota Ave.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

He just comes on here to stir shit and bitch about all the places he goes to regularly. Your just pretentious, stay in your holy kingdom of KCK.
You know its quite ironic that you come and complain now about KCMO and all of JoCo but yet you live in one of the most trashy places in the whole city. Your one of those kind of people that complain about everything, everything has to be perfect, but I bet you have nothing. Definitely fits your character.
homer37
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by homer37 »

justin8216 wrote: I haven't heard anything about the Linen's and Things chain being liquidated. If that is true than Lenexa needs to be worried also. They already Have a vacant Circuit City in the Orchard's Corner SC across from Oak Park Mall, then add to that a vacant Linen's and things and oh boy. If Linen and Things goes then you can bet that Gordman's will be next. After that they might as well tear that shopping center down.

All five KC area Linens N Things are closing (KC Business Journal). The Lenexa store had everything 10%-20% off last week, with a large "store closing" banner on the storefront, and people holding signs along Quivira.
kanasalumn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kanasalumn »

now if you like Eddie Bauer bedding, you better get it at Linen and things before they close b/c that is the only place you get them in town
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

In considering the final plat for the Black Bob 151 Shops, which includes a Hy-Vee grocery store, council members debated the wisdom and the funding issues related to making temporary fixes to Black Bob Road south from 151st Street when the road already is near or at capacity.

Although the council generally is excited about the development south and east of 151st and Black Bob, it’s concerned about the increased traffic. Councilman John Bacon said “it seems like a waste of money” to add temporary turn lanes and medians now only to “rip it all out” in the near future.

The council voted 6-0—Mayor Mike Copeland was absent—to table consideration of the plat for two weeks pending discussion by city staff and developer Bob Johnson about possible road improvement ideas.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/neighbor ... 51613.html about a Church replacing Rhodes Furniture
When are they expanding that road because no Trucks their doing any work and also part it before where a Trail by a Lake back to Tomhawk Trail no way to expand the road only if they buy part of some people's properties.
Last edited by mgsports on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I think that they should extend Black Bob on to 159th St as a four lane artery (the street actually becomes Lackman again when it gets to 159th).  OPK is widening the road to Pflum and there is a lot traffic increasing from the new housing going on south.
I own a rental property near 151st and Alden so I have been paying some attention to this project.

I read in the paper about the Rhodes Furniture building being converted into a church.  I think this is good.  I always think a church makes a good community neighbor. 
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

GuyInLenexa wrote:
I read in the paper about the Rhodes Furniture building being converted into a church.  I think this is good.  I always think a church makes a good community neighbor. 

And definitely much better than an empty hulk of a warehouse store.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

At least First Watch is opening where the Bike store use to be in Olathe Station.