Rendering of new Garmin HQ

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

From KC Business Journal
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, that looks like it'll pull some value from the city. Approved!
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Now where exactly is this building suppose to be built again? I know in Olathe, but where in Olathe? I should know this because I'm the UPS man, but I know I'll forget to look up their current headquarters tonight at work.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think its 151st and Ridgeview, which is about a mile east of 1-35. Its just across Ridgeview from Indian Trails Junior High and Olathe South High School.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

tat2kc wrote:I think its 151st and Ridgeview, which is about a mile east of 1-35. Its just across Ridgeview from Indian Trails Junior High and Olathe South High School.
Yeah, seen that today. I jus' wish it was more visible from the interstate.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Boy, did the neighborhood directly north of Garmin throw a fit over that little project...and the expansion projects before it. I see that place every day on my way to the I-35 on ramp off 151st St.

That place is huge already. Employs lots of people.

One day, maybe light rail will be put in place with a station near the tracks right o way between Garmin and the Dillards dist warehouse.

I'm sick of driving downtown.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

StL_Dan wrote:One day, maybe light rail will be put in place with a station near the tracks right o way between Garmin and the Dillards dist warehouse.

I'm sick of driving downtown.
You'll have light-rail before KCMO, because Kansas Citians won't vote for it because they don't trust their government and are afraid they'll mismanage the money.

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Well, they aren't impressing anyone with the money they have.

Why does light rail have to be a public pursuit? I understand that it's a hugely expensive undertaking, but if building it doesn't make good business sense, then why should we force a bad business decision into public funding and accountability? Seems crazy to me.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of light rail, and public transportation. I use the bus regularly. However, it just doesn't make sense to build a light rail system in KC right now, and not until such a thing would be more attractive to the average citizen than driving. First things first.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

It may have been there for a while, but I just noticed the giant stationary construction crane towering overhead this morning on the way in to work.

That thing looks outta place against the backdrop of single family housing. It's only a hundred yards or so from the neighborhood.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

"Why does light rail have to be a public pursuit? I understand that it's a hugely expensive undertaking, but if building it doesn't make good business sense, then why should we force a bad business decision into public funding and accountability? Seems crazy to me. "

If light rail is a bad business decision because it requires public funding then I guess highways, whidh also require public funding, are also bad decsions. So why not light rail?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Just because highways are publicly funded doesn't mean that they need to be. Tolls work just fine, and make any highway profitable.