Official "what's coming to the speedway?" thread

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Official "what's coming to the speedway?" thread

Post by nota »

DeadManWalking wrote: From the article in the newspaper, Legends will feature a fountain from the same designer who created the famous fountain at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Truthfully I believe this will be the first major fountain in KCK.
It is interesting about the Bellagio fountains. Women go there and OOOOOH and AAAAAH at the water and what the fountains do, but men go there and say-let me play with that computer.

I can't imagine that Legends would be able to afford something quite so grand, but it wouldn't have to be. I love fountains. My current faves are the ones at Union Station.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

DeadManWalking wrote: From the article in the newspaper, Legends will feature a fountain from the same designer who created the famous fountain at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Truthfully I believe this will be the first major fountain in KCK.
Didn't I read an article about the fountains in the Crown Center courtyard being updated by the same designer as the Bellagio? 
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

nota wrote:
I love fountains. My current faves are the ones at Union Station.
Misc. Ramble

We ate on the Plaza last night, pizza and burgers at George Brett's, a lot of HS Prom goers out and about, sat and watched all the picture taking at the JC Nichols fountains, very enjoyable, afterwards we drove down Main Street to check out downtown..........Crown Center was blocked off for something going on that I missed..........drove around Union Station, must have been a HS Prom in the station, great venue, BUT to see those young men and women trying to take group photos next to the Union Station fountain was amusing, I love that fountain but there is no place to sit or barely stand to enjoy it without getting run over by a car. I know I would and believe other people would gather around that fountain every summer night if it had been designed for people instead of cars.

Has anyone ever considered correcting this error in placement?
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

That's a great point. I remember taking some visitors there last year and wishing there were a better place to stand for a pic.

I still love the fountains there. Last night was a perfect fountain watching/prom going night.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

You know what really pisses me off about the fountain in front of Union Station? It is isolated in between streets so that a pedestrian has no easy access to it. I did the whole US, CC, LM walk with my sister and I didn't like having to dodge traffic getting to the fountain.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DMW...michael had that same comment and I agree as well.  I think they did that to reduce user interaction....not very bright.  Michael's suggestion was to knock out the north end of the road and let people walk up to it.....not sure Pershing could handle only being 2 lanes though.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Is this a "destination theatre"? AMC builds crap better than this...

:puke:
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

trailerkid wrote: I will preface my comments by saying that having a strong suburban tourist district is indeed important to KC being competitive in the region and nationally. Every big city in America has big suburbs with big attractions...look at LA for God's sake!

I think Village West should try to attract Ripley's Entertainment to build a complex or series of attractions at Village West. They operate Ripley's Believe It or Not! museums http://www.ripleys.com/broadband/home.html as well as Louis Tussauds Wax Musuem http://ripleys.com/tussauds/ . In Dallas and San Antonio they operate the two attractions under one roof near other suburban attractions such as Six Flags. One stumbling block would be the fact that Ripley's is already in Branson, but I believe that a development in KC wouldn't hurt the Branson market as it is already a fully actualized tourist center. In Niagara Falls, Ripleys is planning to build a $200+ M aquarium in connection to a new Great Wolf Lodge.

Right now, Village West lacks a destination attraction that offers more than shopping or sports. Ripley's Entertainment would bring the development full circle and add quite a bit of punch to an otherwise tame development. Village West with a new privately run aquarium, a Ripley's Believe It or Not! museum and a Louis Tussaud's Wax Museum would further create Village West as a very strong regional surburban tourist districts.
I went to Ripley's in Branson and I thought it was ridiculous.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

trailerkid wrote: Is this a "destination theatre"? AMC builds crap better than this...:puke:

Your basing your criticism off a animated picture?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

justin8216 wrote:
Your basing your criticism off a animated picture?
My wife and I were shopping for a new home in Western Wyandotte yesterday and ate at Ted Turner's Montana Grill, which is right next to Legends.  We explored the walkability of the area.  Fuck all pedestrians, that place looks exactly like the rendering. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

QueSi2Opie wrote: ... that place looks exactly like the rendering. 
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

zlohban wrote: Didn't I read an article about the fountains in the Crown Center courtyard being updated by the same designer as the Bellagio? 
Crown center fountian is underway. Same designer as Bellagio. Wet Design. http://www.wetdesign.com/
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Tosspot wrote: Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Obviously a bad thing.  I was hoping for something closer to a Zona Rosa type of development, but with bigger names in retail, restaurants & entertainment.  This place is a disappointment, unless of course, you're in love with your automobile.  :(

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

QueSi2Opie wrote: My wife and I were shopping for a new home in Western Wyandotte yesterday and ate at Ted Turner's Montana Grill, which is right next to Legends.  We explored the walkability of the area.  Fuck all pedestrians, that place looks exactly like the rendering.   
I'm not sure I understand this...
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

GRID wrote: I'm not sure I understand this...
Errr...in other words the developers said "Fuck all pedestrians".  If you were European, you might understand the way the statement was worded.  :wink: 

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

QueSi2Opie wrote: Errr...in other words the developers said "Fuck all pedestrians".  If you were European, you might understand the way the statement was worded.  :wink: 
My worldliness and continental proclivities are virtually unrivalled in this part of Westport, but still that left me a bit flummoxed.  :)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit