Metcalf Redevelopment

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Metcalf Redevelopment

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 225944.htm
For $1.1 million, A. Nelessen Associates will provide Overland Park with a pre-redevelopment study of 7.5 miles of Metcalf Avenue from Johnson Drive to just south of 119th Street.

The study area is a mile longer than an earlier proposal that would have cut off the study just south of Interstate 435.

The effort, which the City Council approved this week, would create a plan for guiding redevelopment along the Metcalf corridor.

The study by the Belle Mead, N.J., firm is expected to take 16 months.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Metcalf Redevelopment

Post by dangerboy »

Good to see.  This part of Metcalfe is starting to resemble Noland Road.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Wild Woody's! Metcalf needed one of those the whole time I was growing up.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

at first i didn't recognize the Nelessen name, but i just realized he's a pretty big name in planning (he's the guy who invented the visual preference survey (or atleast the one who copywrited it)).  It'll be interesting to see what the firm comes up with, and if they have lots of community meetings for the visioning process.  This could really be a quality plan, on the level of Mission's big redevelopment strategy.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

or maybe noland road is starting to resemble this stretch of metcalf?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

received this email today:
Are you interested in sharing your thoughts and asking questions directly to the consultants leading the Vision Metcalf study?

If so, please call 913/905-0744 to schedule an appointment for a face-to-face meeting.

The City of Overland Park and Nelessen Associates have opened a storefront office at 7920 Floyd, in Downtown Overland Park, to provide a space for the consultant team to work and to create a place for people to learn more about the study process.

Call the Vision Metcalf phone number above to schedule an appointment starting this week!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

email update:
Overland Park, KS – It’s been a significant part of Overland Park’s growth and development and it’s time to re-examine portions of Metcalf Avenue’s current status.

Vision Metcalf is the most inclusive public process the city has ever launched in an effort to define potential re-development along Metcalf. As many as 6,000 people may be involved during the study.

Every resident, business operator, and those who work in Overland Park are encouraged to provide their thoughts on the future of this major arterial roadway.

Tuesday is the first of six meetings. Each meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. and concludes at 9 p.m.

Meeting dates and locations are:

• Tuesday, May 8, Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites, 8787 Reeder Road, 913/888-8440.
• Wednesday, May 9, Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites.
• Thursday, May 10, Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites.
• Tuesday, May 15, Sheraton Overland Park Hotel, 6100 College Boulevard, 913/234-2120.
• Wednesday, May 16, Sheraton Overland Park Hotel.
• Thursday, May 24, Sheraton Overland Park Hotel.

This year-long study will create a new vision for the Metcalf Avenue corridor from I-35 to 123rd Street. The primary goal is to involve residents and businesses to create a vision for Metcalf that will define it as a regional destination and economic engine for the 21st century.

Vision Metcalf will develop an exciting, sustainable and realistic plan, based on input from residents and businesses, for the future of Metcalf that addresses:

• New types of residential and commercial development
• Enhanced landscaping and streetscape design
• Future transportation and transit improvements

The consultant team assembled to conduct this study is led by A. Nelessen Associates, who are responsible for community visioning and urban design.

Other team members include:

• Bucher, Willis and Ratliff - engineering, environmental and transportation planning
• Corporate Communications Group - public relations and media outreach
• Economic Research Associates - demographic and market projections and economic analysis
• RH Johnson – analysis real estate issues and financing options
• Spencer, Fane, Britt and Browne - legal analysis related to financing options

The process is scheduled from January 2007 through March 2008 and is comprised of four major components: Existing Conditions Report; Stakeholder Meetings; Community Action Plans; and Implementation and Funding Report.

For more information, call Matt Jordan, assistant city manager, at 913/895-6110.
BurningMustard
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by BurningMustard »

I own a house at 67th and metcalf (glenwood), house I grew up in.  My mom still lives there.

Not sure what they have in mind for that part of Metcalf, but I can't imagine it would help the value of our house, oh well.  Our home owners associaiton is organizing a couple meetings that I will try and attend to see if I can get additional information.

I believe the row housing at 71st and metcalf was already shot down.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

BurningMustard wrote: Not sure what they have in mind for that part of Metcalf, but I can't imagine it would help the value of our house, oh well.
if there's a serious public transit component, it will help...
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I thought I read BRT for Metcalf.  Anyone else remember that?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chingon wrote: I thought I read BRT for Metcalf.  Anyone else remember that?
yes, i think it was either referenced in this plan or in smartmoves.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Has there been any word out of the group that announced they were going to level Metcalf South and Metro North for New Urbanist centers?  If that still has any traction, I would think it could be a serious step towards changing the look of Metcalf. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Has there been any word out of the group that announced they were going to level Metcalf South and Metro North for New Urbanist centers?  If that still has any traction, I would think it could be a serious step towards changing the look of Metcalf. 
here's that thread: http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php/topic,3467.0.html
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

BurningMustard wrote:Not sure what they have in mind for that part of Metcalf, but I can't imagine it would help the value of our house, oh well.  Our home owners associaiton is organizing a couple meetings that I will try and attend to see if I can get additional information.

So you have no idea what's going on, but you assume it'll be bad....  :-s

To be clear, these meetings are precisely to talk about the future of the Metcalf corridor.  If you are interested in having your views heard, learning what your neighbors think, and what the possibilities for your stretch may be, then i'd encourage you to make it out to the meeting that deals with it (the different dates are for different parts of the Metcalf corridor, in your case it could be the Tuesday May 8th meeting dealing with Metcalf between 51st and 71st streets, or the Wednesday May 9th meeting dealing with 71st to 87th street). 

They aren't going to produce a plan from a one day workshop, this is still the information/opinion gathering phase.  So if you are hoping to hear "news" about what is being "planned" all you'll get is hearsay and half digested summaries of what may have been discussed during the meeting (but which will most likely not give any definite sense of what is proposed down the line). 

For a more indepth look at what the Vision Metcalf process is about, go to the city's website and look at their webpage about it:

http://opkansas.org/_Gov/Vision_Metcalf/index.cfm

Change will happen and if people are concerned with how that change occurs it behooves them to join the planning process (and not just wait to hear what the HOA has to say).  Knowing the quality and reputation of the firm leading the process, I think this may be an enlightening and interesting time for everyone involved.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

BurningMustard wrote: I own a house at 67th and metcalf (glenwood), house I grew up in.  My mom still lives there.

Not sure what they have in mind for that part of Metcalf, but I can't imagine it would help the value of our house, oh well.  Our home owners associaiton is organizing a couple meetings that I will try and attend to see if I can get additional information.

Because the blight that is appearing on north Metcalf would help the value of your house?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
BurningMustard
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by BurningMustard »

ComandanteCero wrote: So you have no idea what's going on, but you assume it'll be bad....  :-s
Yes you're right, I shouldn't assume it will be bad.  I wish I would've assumed it would be good, but I didn't.

Thank you for the additional information, I had planned on trying to make the meeting.

I have a hard time thinking the guy who owns a 725K+ house one lot off Metcalf on 67th would be happy about any development occuring in that spot. But who knows, I should try to learn more.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

There are nearly 4,600 parking lots – not parking spaces, but parking lots – serving nearly 4,700 building structures.
This is listed under challenges- I wonder what they are implying.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

take the "visual preference survey" for the metcalf corridor! read the consultant-speak!

http://www.opkansas.org/_Gov/Vision_Metcalf/index.cfm
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

sample question: rate this image on a scale of 1 to 10.

i like it!  :lol:
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

^^ I was in that shopping center two weeks ago and didn't see that. What used to be there?

It does look like shit.