Metcalf Redevelopment

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Metcalf Redevelopment

Post by ComandanteCero »

dangerboy wrote: Was there any talk of making BRT part of an integrated transit system?  A single north-south BRT line isn't going to be very useful if it isn't intersected by multiple east/west bus lines. And the network has to be more than just rush hour.

I think it's great that OP is taking baby steps to at least think about it.  But I don't see the realization that they need a much bigger transit system supporting the BRT.
It was kind of out of the scope of their study, the urban design consultant said something to the effect of "If it were up to us, the BRT line would go up Metcalf, then turn onto Johnson right through Mission on towards the Plaza and up to downtown".  The economic consultant excluded the BRT costs saying that that would most likely be funded and organized by some multi-jurisdictional authority (essentially saying he didn't expect OP to try to create that on its own).

I think it was understood that the BRT line would be part of a larger system, but they didn't go as far as to say what kind of system that would be.  In terms of the current politicians in power, i think they understand it has to go somewhere, the issue is whether that should be dt KCMO or the airport (which is what Wayne Flaherty seems to push for). 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

GRID wrote: JK, I applaud what OP is doing, but as a city of 175,000 residents and the second most important city in the region, they have a chance to do something NOW and are blowing it off.
i understand the cynicism, but what makes you think they're blowing it off? this was a very pricey exercise and something i don't think OP is taking lightly. i think they honestly recognize their status is vulnerable and want to remain competitive. thankfully, these days that means sustainable. i think your venom is far more appropriate for olathe or lenexa.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I would also add that this is a huge project (or, more accurately, series of projects).  Part of the planning for a realistic time table has to include the amount of time it's going to take to fill the area up.  Does anyone know the projected change in population in the area?  Whatever it is (and I would imagine its significant) OP will need that number of people to choose to move in, and that much business to choose to move in.  It will probably have a snowball effect once they get started, but just like every other urban or semi-urban area in the city, it's not going to work until you have enough people choosing to help make it work.  However, think about the potential for the urban core by 2030.  We could potentially have a semi-urban landscape stretching from 95th and Metcalf north to Johnson Drive, then east almost the the Plaza, then stretching north across the river into NKC, possibly west from downtown to about 18th (or farther, if KCK gets its act together) and south again to Brookside.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

one of the greatest concepts in this plan was that of laying new, smaller street grids over the massive surface lots... in essence creating smaller scale and walkable blocks for in-fill development in the future. the example that stuck in my mind was the area between 103rd and 435.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

the vision metcalf presentation was truly impressive.  (and it's ironic that vm was so well received on the same day that op got the green light to annex 8.5 square miles of exurbia.)

once the op council adopts vision metcalf, they should reinforce the expectation of actually fulfilling vm by instituting full-day transit service in the corridor between jccc and the plaza max station -- college - metcalf - johnson drive - ward parkway.  run additional peak period trips to dt kcmo via i-35.

hang vm banners along the route, put up bus stop signs, and add bus shelters at key stops along the way.  make the buses themselves part of the marketing effort by painting them with a vm theme.  (wouldn't joco folks relish the idea of a 40-foot billboard for vision metcalf pulling up at the plaza max station every 30 minutes?)

such transit service could be up and running within a year.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 21, 2008

Vision the plan

Conceptual future plans for Metcalf Avenue were adopted as part of the city's Master Plan.

The City Council Monday night adopted Vision Metcalf for incorporation in the Master Plan. This step provides direction for staff members to begin implementation on: a joint transit feasibility study with Johnson County; creation of a streamlined development process; generation of a comprehensive financial strategy; and more.

Vision Metcalf is designed to invite redevelopment along the corridor, from I-35 south to 123rd Street. There are five subareas: Northern Gateway, I-35 to Johnson Drive; Downtown Overland Park, 75th to 83rd; 95th and Metcalf, 91st to 95th; Indian Creek, 103rd to I-435; and Southern Gateway, 115th to 123rd.

The city plans to focus implementation on the Downtown Overland Park subarea first.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I read that one of the developers in the Streets of Metcalf and the Streets at Barry Towne mall redevelopments has backed out and that the remaining developer has scrapped the current redevelopment plans for both malls.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

justin8216 wrote: I read that one of the developers in the Streets of Metcalf and the Streets at Barry Towne mall redevelopments has backed out and that the remaining developer has scrapped the current redevelopment plans for both malls.
That certainly doesn't sound promising. I was actually looking forward to seeing Streets of Metcalf
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

So Metcalf South Mall might be saved after all? Great, we need something to collect dust.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Even though Denver's Alberta Development backed out of the planned renovation, I am sure that in time there will be some sort of redevelopment with Metcalf South.
I would not be surprised if Macy's eventually will move from the development.  And Sears, I am surpised they are still there near the KMart across the street.
I think the the Vision Metcalf plan will eventually attract developers in the next few years.  I can't see any new development in the near future.
I always thought it would be cool if MS could develop a mixed use project housing a new OPK city hall and maybe a new JOCO central library with retail and housing.
The Vision Metcalf plan will call for BRT lines, it could be a great transit hub also.
I have a feeling that this will stay the same for a while. 
Intersting thing, although just a rendering, the Vision Metcalf plan shows a Neiman Marcus in the 95th/Metcalf Subarea:

http://www.opkansas.org/_Assets/cm/Visi ... rea_3A.pdf
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

K-Mart can close and Sears can become Sears Grand Central.
They can open Mall by getting a Movie Theater and other Chains wanting to come to that part of Overland Park.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

There is more retail in JOCO than can be supported by their own population as they have a large retail pull factor, meaning that a lot of people from outside the county come there to shop.

I think with more retail being built in other parts of the Metro that JOCO is starting to loose that "pull" which seems to already be happening as I am noticing more and more vacant retail and resturaunts all across JOCO. A new large shopping center in Merriam can't even get off the ground, and the property has sat languishing for about 3 years now.

I think that the idea that Metcalf South can be redeveloped into new retail space under the current conditions is laughable.

Johnson County is going to have to start eliminating retail space, not adding more capacity.

Metcalf South and indeed a lot of the obsolete retail space in JOCO needs to be redeveloped as residential with limited retail that caters to the local residential base.

This in turn will create greater residential population density and thus allow the remaining retail  to have a market with a larger population thus driving sales  and higher volume, more profitable stores and resturuants.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

The Vision Metcalf plan is not just retail; in fact it is not a plan for development only a guideline that will be followed to direct future building along the corridor.
It is not something being built in the next few years but over several decades.
To me the plan (if followed and expanded county wide) could be one of the most exciting thing to look forward to since the P&L and KCMO rebirth.
I read in a recent university report that said Johnson County will have over 588,000 people by 2012.  It is growing faster in population and job growth than any other county in the metropolitan area. 
JOCO as a whole has amazed me that many of their vacant retail buildings get reoccupied fairly quickly.
Wards became Macy's, Jacobson's became Macy's, Home Depot Expo became Kohl's, Ultimate Electronics became Sports Authority and Circuit City (Lenexa). Extreme Ford is not a Staples and other shops, this is happening on top of the other new retail establishment and during a slow economy.  Outside of you (Justin) no person I know of, including many of my friends that are involved in commercial real estate is reporting an eminent demise for JOCO.
However, I agree with you that there is a general retail space glut right now.  Companies are slowing their growth by expansion mode and the credit crunch is affecting the commercial sector now.
This is not unique to JOCO though; it's everywhere but will be temporary. 
Last edited by GuyInLenexa on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE OUR MALL!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

How showed it be saved?
KCrules
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCrules »

16 months seems a little long on consultant studying. I think the idea is long overdue, and when finished, should put Metcalf back on the map.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

justin8216 wrote: There is more retail in (northeast) JOCO than can be supported by their own population.  (Northeast) Johnson County is going to have to start eliminating retail space, not adding more capacity.
This is the wisest thing ever written in the KCRag forums (pardon my additions).

The excess retail s.f. in NE JoCo can never be reversed.  South OP is fine right now, but the residents of that part of the city do not shop in older JoCo on a regular basis.  Thier dialy shopping dollars stay south.  The same thing happened to Troost in the '60s when the young (spend-happy) families moved away.  Unless a fair amount of NE JoCo retail space is converted to residential or other uses, the vacancy rates will continue to rise. 
Lenexan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Lenexan »

As I posted in another thread (sorry for posting so much but found this site fascinating as I've lived in JoCo all my life at 6 different addresses and so this stuff is interesting), I liked OP Mall in the 80's and 90's but Metcalf South was always the best.  I've found other sites with people just as nostalgic as me.  Apparently it's kept up inside even though the stores are all dead.  I've heard it's like walking through your youth for 80's kids like myself.  What I would do to bring back Topsy's, Swensen's, Waldenbooks, Smacks, L&M (like winsteads), the toy stores (when do you ever see just a small cool mall toy store anymore?), and the fact you could actually walk the walkways and toss pennies into the fountains.  Metcalf South was a great place and I think there will be a time, when all these outdoor "life centers" hit their max, that people will desire more indoor malls than they have today (INdependence Center and OP Mall are the only two left that are viable, really), especially during the sweltering summer heat and the oppressive winters we can have.  While I love and approve of the new urbanism, there is a part of this lifelong JCian that wishes the classic malls -- that everyone could shop in, from rich to middle class -- would come back once again.  Some capitalist with some bucks to spare needs to take a chance on such a concept, market the hell out of it, and I bet you'd see folks come back.

I always thought Metcalf south just needed a face lift, and it could be rejuvinated.  I think a marketing campaign of "live your old favorites" or "everyone can shop here" would be great, and you could get topsys hot dogs and swensens back (as i think they still exist).  Bring in some old classics and bring back Metcalf South!
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Lenexan wrote: As I posted in another thread (sorry for posting so much but found this site fascinating as I've lived in JoCo all my life at 6 different addresses and so this stuff is interesting), I liked OP Mall in the 80's and 90's but Metcalf South was always the best.  I've found other sites with people just as nostalgic as me.  Apparently it's kept up inside even though the stores are all dead.  I've heard it's like walking through your youth for 80's kids like myself.  What I would do to bring back Topsy's, Swensen's, Waldenbooks, Smacks, L&M (like winsteads), the toy stores (when do you ever see just a small cool mall toy store anymore?), and the fact you could actually walk the walkways and toss pennies into the fountains.  Metcalf South was a great place and I think there will be a time, when all these outdoor "life centers" hit their max, that people will desire more indoor malls than they have today (INdependence Center and OP Mall are the only two left that are viable, really), especially during the sweltering summer heat and the oppressive winters we can have.  While I love and approve of the new urbanism, there is a part of this lifelong JCian that wishes the classic malls -- that everyone could shop in, from rich to middle class -- would come back once again.  Some capitalist with some bucks to spare needs to take a chance on such a concept, market the hell out of it, and I bet you'd see folks come back.

"Smacks" - now that really takes me back to my Kindergarten years!  I used to always ask for a few pennies to toss over the edge into that fountain in the middle of the mall.  Remember the organ store on the top level?  Someone was always playing cheesy music on on organ to attract customers, I guess.  And speaking of cheesy organs, remember the old "Putch's" cafeteria?  I remember going there on Sunday afternoons with my grandparents and they'd have someone playing an organ in there too.  I loved the little hobby shop on the bottom level across from Skaggs, the little Chinese restaurant tucked away on the bottome level, Orange Julius, KG Men's store, Jones, Sears, etc. 

I always thought Metcalf south just needed a face lift, and it could be rejuvinated.  I think a marketing campaign of "live your old favorites" or "everyone can shop here" would be great, and you could get topsys hot dogs and swensens back (as i think they still exist).  Bring in some old classics and bring back Metcalf South!
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

waffle cut fries from Charlie Chans!