Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote:
mgsports wrote:http://www.kmbz.com/articles/could-it-f ... ve-forward Hopefully new to area.
Mission Gateway is not new to the area
Merged with existing thread. Use existing threads.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Thanks because way down the pages to get to. Was talking new to KC area.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Thanks because way down the pages to get to. Was talking new to KC area.
Since nothing new has been announced other than try 4000 on this development, what's new to the area?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Mission Gateway

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember wrote:
mgsports wrote:http://www.kmbz.com/articles/could-it-f ... ve-forward Hopefully new to area.
I don't speak the language fluently, but I'm guessing it's more along the lines of "Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Albertsons? Sports Store? Burlington Coat Factory? Marshalls? Stage? Ross Dress 4 Less?"
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

No way Publix but would like it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Mission Gateway

Post by empires228 »

longviewmo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:29 pm
flyingember wrote:
I don't speak the language fluently, but I'm guessing it's more along the lines of "Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Albertsons? Sports Store? Burlington Coat Factory? Marshalls? Stage? Ross Dress 4 Less?"
Obviously BloomingDales?, ShopKo, Alco,??kMart?, DILLonskroger.??
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This project has gone through some pretty stupid versions, but the one that might actually happen doesn't look so bad.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... j=86420081
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

I was going to post that and do we need a Escape Room? Revolution or Sky Golf or Resort type place.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

“We awouldn’t be Cinergy Cinemas & Entertainment without the rest of our amusements. In addition to movies, food, and beverages, we synergize over arcade/video games, a redemption store, boutique bowling, billiard tables, a multi-tier laser tag arena, Sky Walker (a gravity-defying overhead ropes course with zip line), Atomic Rush (a quick response, immersive game experience), Clip-N-Climb (a mental and physical rock climbing challenge for all ages), and banquet rooms into the operation, making it a full blown multi-level family entertainment center (“FEC”).”
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Looks good.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I was thinking would these kind of projects slowly eat away at the Apartments in the Urban Core? A walkable mixed use place 10 minutes from major employment centers (Cerner, St Lukes, KU Med) is going to look awfully attractive to a young professional. They don't have to worry about paying a 1% tax, minimal traffic, easy parking and they generally have less crime/car break-ins to deal with. These older first ring suburbs could all start doing this (North Kansas City, Mission, Roeland Park, Mission, Merriam, PV) and give problems to apartment rental occupancy in the Urban Core.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:11 pm I was thinking would these kind of projects slowly eat away at the Apartments in the Urban Core? A walkable mixed use place 10 minutes from major employment centers (Cerner, St Lukes, KU Med) is going to look awfully attractive to a young professional. They don't have to worry about paying a 1% tax, minimal traffic, easy parking and they generally have less crime/car break-ins to deal with. These older first ring suburbs could all start doing this (North Kansas City, Mission, Roeland Park, Mission, Merriam, PV) and give problems to apartment rental occupancy in the Urban Core.
Yep, especially since they are subsidized, greenfield mixed use. This just furthers the race to the bottom around various munis; with adaptive re-use almost always requiring additional capital it's hard to compete with suburban mini-town centers like this. Really sucks the life out of the urban core. There have been multiple Strong Town articles about this- it's kind of a mixed bag. Mixed use, walkable neighborhoods are good, right? However, just replacing sprawl with disparate mini-town centers in between sprawl = ??

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/201 ... awl-repair

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/201 ... awl-repair
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Greenfield developments in older first ring suburbs?

NKC hasn't been greenfield for 100 years
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Definitely not greenfield.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I suppose "Greenfield" would not be the right term. I was more thinking non-adaptive reuse, where no "brownfield," or historic structure causing extenuating circumstances requiring subsidies. I almost feel like in some of these scenarios Dev's are just adding apartments that the market is not demanding just to qualify for incentives. Although the inner amateur urban planner wants more mixed use.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

They are gaming the system, that's why "mixed use" is always in air quotes.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm I suppose "Greenfield" would not be the right term. I was more thinking non-adaptive reuse, where no "brownfield," or historic structure causing extenuating circumstances requiring subsidies. I almost feel like in some of these scenarios Dev's are just adding apartments that the market is not demanding just to qualify for incentives. Although the inner amateur urban planner wants more mixed use.
The Mission Shopping Center is obviously older than you think. You have to remember that Macy's anchored an open air mall there for 30 years before it was flooded and rebuilt as the enclosed mall.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

This site has been quiet for the last several weeks. I realize the weather hasn't been great...but things are totally silent. Anybody have any news?