Tiffany Springs Market Center

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Tiffany Springs Market Center

Post by justin8216 »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Those look amazing.  :P
Market Center is a very lame name
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed May 13, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

It seems like they have a lot of space still to lease. Any word on new tenants?
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

NorthlandGuy wrote: It seems like they have a lot of space still to lease. Any word on new tenants?
I was just out there over the weekend... its pretty sparse out there. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

justin8216 wrote: Market Center is a very lame name for this thing as it is hardly a market.

They should cal it Tiffany Springs Retail Warehouse Plaza.
What should they call Legends...it is hardly 'legendary'
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Midtownkid wrote: What should they call Legends...it is hardly 'legendary'
Well sherlock, I think they call it the Legends because they use a theme of famous Kansans. So hmm, I guess that name actually makes sense.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Went to Sports Authority this weekend.

This is a HUGE store.  I think it actually might have more sports gear (less hunting/fishing etc) than the giant Dicks across the interstate.

Actually, I'm sure it does.

It wasn't busy at all and we ended up over at Dick's, which was a zoo, and bought stuff from there because I always have coupons that save a ton of money at Dick's.

Sports Authority needs to open more stores in this market so they can start advertising and getting the word out that they are here, get into coupon books etc because I was impressed.  If they don't I'm not sure this store will make it and that would be a loss for KC IMO.
construction guy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by construction guy »

GRID wrote: Went to Sports Authority this weekend.

This is a HUGE store.  I think it actually might have more sports gear (less hunting/fishing etc) than the giant Dicks across the interstate.

Actually, I'm sure it does.

It wasn't busy at all and we ended up over at Dick's, which was a zoo, and bought stuff from there because I always have coupons that save a ton of money at Dick's.

Sports Authority needs to open more stores in this market so they can start advertising and getting the word out that they are here, get into coupon books etc because I was impressed.  If they don't I'm not sure this store will make it and that would be a loss for KC IMO.
Seriously?  I thought it was tiny, with tiny departments and a selection rivaling a 1980's Soviet breadline?  The "outdoors" department could fit in my car.  As I left, I really felt as if I had just toured the next Circuit City.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

construction guy wrote: Seriously?  I thought it was tiny, with tiny departments and a selection rivaling a 1980's Soviet breadline?  The "outdoors" department could fit in my car.  As I left, I really felt as if I had just toured the next Circuit City.
guess it depends on what you are into.

Like I said, there is little hunting/fishing/camping stuff which I have no interest in and that is something that places like Dicks and Bass Pro cover well.

On the other hand, if you want a baseball glove or bat, or a tennis racket or soccer goal net, hockey stick etc, they have far more to choose from.

That's my observation anyway.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: Sports Authority needs to open more stores in this market so they can start advertising and getting the word out that they are here, get into coupon books etc because I was impressed.  If they don't I'm not sure this store will make it and that would be a loss for KC IMO.
I am pretty sure I have seen their circulars in the Sunday paper already - Beermo could probably confirm.  I am not sure what sort of sales/cupons they run. 

I have only been in the oak park store and one out in CO - I thought they were both pretty much on par with Dicks for size/selection - near enought the same that I wouldn't probably go out of my way to go to either one over the other. 
construction guy
Pad site
Pad site

I give em 6 months before both the Northland and Lenexa stores close.  I was the only customer in sight and everyone feels like a sucker buying something "alone."  It's all about the psychology of the sale...if opther suckers are around buying & browsing, we feel "ok" about it.  If not, we feel like we're doing something we shouldn't be be.
Wathman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Wathman »

I'm still pretty new to this area, and so far the experience has been much better than life in Cleveland OH. Road construction is a constant pain no matter where you live, though back in Ohio I knew where to at least find the active road projects and their supposed completion dates, give or take a season or two.  Ever since I've moved here, Tiffany Springs road has been closed yet I can't find any current information on the project status.  Anyone know what's going on up there and if they plan on finishing it?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wathman wrote: I'm still pretty new to this area, and so far the experience has been much better than life in Cleveland OH. Road construction is a constant pain no matter where you live, though back in Ohio I knew where to at least find the active road projects and their supposed completion dates, give or take a season or two.  Ever since I've moved here, Tiffany Springs road has been closed yet I can't find any current information on the project status.  Anyone know what's going on up there and if they plan on finishing it?
Road or Parkway?  There is a difference.

Tiffany Springs Parkway will be extended west toward 435.  I think that is either already underway or will start next year.  The interchange with I-29 will also be rebuilt, mostly east of the interstate.

Tiffany Springs Road is going to be re-aligned over I-29 and is being widened east of Ambassador (which is being extended north to Tiffany Springs parkway), I think that is supposed to be done in the next six months.

KCMO does not do a good job of communicating infrastructure projects progress to residents.

They should have a page on their website with details on all the projects going on in the city, but I don’t think they have anything like that.

KCMO is notorious for choosing slow and incompetent contractors, probably just to meet the minority obligations and they don’t follow up well or make sure projects stay on track and get done right.

Cauthen has addressed some of this, but it’s still a problem.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCMO does have an online tool (with Google map) for projects that are managed by CIMO (Capital Improvements Management Office), but sadly neither the Tiffany Springs Road nor Tiffany Springs Parkway projects are in CIMO.

http://www.kcmo.org/cimo.nsf/web/public
Wathman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Wathman »

Thanks for the info, sounds like there's a lot of work ahead on Tiffany Springs Road.  At least I now know what's taking them so long.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: KCMO is notorious for choosing slow and incompetent contractors, probably just to meet the minority obligations and they don’t follow up well or make sure projects stay on track and get done right.

You remember the N. Brighton project?  Widening by one lane and adding some sidewalks along a 3/8 mile stretch of road...took them almost 2 1/2 years due to the incompetent contractor which ended up walking away from the project and telling the city to choose another one to pick up where they left off.  It should have taken 1 month, instead the heavily traveled road was completely closed for nearly 3 years if I remember right. (It just opened this summer...all 800ft of it)
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

im2kull wrote:
You remember the N. Brighton project?  Widening by one lane and adding some sidewalks along a 3/8 mile stretch of road...took them almost 2 1/2 years due to the incompetent contractor which ended up walking away from the project and telling the city to choose another one to pick up where they left off.  It should have taken 1 month, instead the heavily traveled road was completely closed for nearly 3 years if I remember right. (It just opened this summer...all 800ft of it)
When the city was widening Barry right out in front of Zona Rosa that contractor went bust and it sat there for a while under construction with no active work being done until they could find a replacement.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Part of the problem is that KCMO Pubilc Works out sources virtually all of their work.  They have no crews for new street construction or widening.  It is all done by contractors.  This is due to pressure to "save money," make government "more efficient," and "more businesses-like."
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

dangerboy wrote: Part of the problem is that KCMO Pubilc Works out sources virtually all of their work.  They have no crews for new street construction or widening.  It is all done by contractors.  This is due to pressure to "save money," make government "more efficient," and "more businesses-like."
Which ...let me guess... ends up costing us more!  I love this cost cutting, while the board, and Funk, all voted themselves a pay raise!  "Screw the Zoo!"...They all say :-(
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
construction guy
Pad site
Pad site

im2kull wrote: Which ...let me guess... ends up costing us more!  I love this cost cutting, while the board, and Funk, all voted themselves a pay raise!  "Screw the Zoo!"...They all say :-(
I think the approach is good and would ultimatley save the city some cash...the problem is in city staff's inability to craft strong contract language and in-house oversight of the contractors.  Typical situation where talented people work in the private side and what's left works for government.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

The wonderful and delicious and fantastic Golden Corral is under construction by Home Depot.... ;(
Why can't they build some new to the Northland? Like a Fazolis, TGIF, or something local.