Tiffany Springs Market Center

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Tiffany Springs Market Center

Post by GRID »

I know it's suburban stuff, but I'm surprised nobody posted this, it's in the press, so I can talk about it :).

Cousins out of Atlanta are going to build another 600,000 sq ft shopping center at I-29 & Barry, will have a super target etc.

They are already scraping dirt.

Fun stuff.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/15256457.htm
Last edited by GRID on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Another major shopping center at 29 & 152

Post by MidWestSider »

Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Heh.  Good job Mid.  I was gonna say, I posted something about it a few weeks ago. 

They have been pushing dirt there for about 6 weeks or so.  I do believe that they must have quite a few tenants lined up and ready to go.  They've been working from dawn to dusk 6 days a week trying to prep this land.  I don't recall Zona Rosa or any of the other northland projects being quite as urgent.  I'm guessing they are in a hurry to get it ready and get the concrete poured before it gets too cold.

I've heard all sorts of rumors about what's going in there.  Costco has been the most frequent one.  Someone mentioned Target but I don't think so since I know the guy who is the construction guru for all Target projects in this region.  He said that Target does plan to build in this area eventually but they haven't chosen a site yet.  Maybe he was lying just to keep things under wraps but I doubt it.  Someone else just told me a hockey rink was going in there.  That just tells me that Cousins is pulling a Cordish and none of us will know what's really going in there until they are damn good and ready to let the cat out of the bag.

I must say, judging from their other projects on their website, I woudn't expect anything jaw dropping.  Most of their projects are very similar to those of RED Development.
Last edited by Thrillcekr on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Seriously when is the Northland getting a Costco?  I've heard rumor's that they will build one at 64th & I-29, at the Liberty Triangle and now at I-29 & 152.  I just hope they decide on something within KCMO city limits.
Calling a spade a spade.
10-7
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 10-7 »

I had another thread going about this in the "rumors" section.  I was at Hy-Vee a couple days ago and asked the manager if he had heard anything.  He said that he had heard it was going at 152 & I-35 on the NorthWest corner - behind the Home Depot & Target (and that strip center).  I think it's going along that outter road along the highway. 

I had heard that it would be in the Liberty area - either at the location mentioned above, or in the "triangle" area where Gary Crossley used to be located.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

10-7 wrote: I had another thread going about this in the "rumors" section.  I was at Hy-Vee a couple days ago and asked the manager if he had heard anything.  He said that he had heard it was going at 152 & I-35 on the NorthWest corner - behind the Home Depot & Target (and that strip center).  I think it's going along that outter road along the highway. 

I had heard that it would be in the Liberty area - either at the location mentioned above, or in the "triangle" area where Gary Crossley used to be located.
Everybody seems to think they know something about it but most likely nobody really does.  I wouldn't be surprised if everything that anyone heard was wrong and Costco ended up in freakin' Smithville.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

great. I can't wait for more traffic on Barry Road!
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

justin8216 wrote: great. I can't wait for more traffic on Barry Road!
Dangerboy, would you care to do the honors? (your cue to say "I thought you didn't post on KCMO threads Justin.")
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

justin8216 wrote: great. I can't wait for more traffic on Barry Road!
No doubt!  Of course if they would build some additional interchanges from MO-152 and I-29 to get to Barry Rd maybe all the traffic wouldn't have to funnel into the same two block area.  Of course that would involve going beyond dumping asphalt onto existing roads.....
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

SWFan wrote: No doubt!  Of course if they would build some additional interchanges from MO-152 and I-29 to get to Barry Rd maybe all the traffic wouldn't have to funnel into the same two block area.  Of course that would involve going beyond dumping asphalt onto existing roads.....
There are and there have been.  I never spend much time waiting.  At least not as much as I would if I were at Metcalf or down on Noland Road.  Maybe you need to learn your way around better.  There are exits on 152 at Amity, N. Congress, Ambassador, Green Hills, and Platte Purchase.  That's 5 exits within a few miles.  The one at Congress comes out right at the back of Zona Rosa, completely circumventing Barry.  How many more do you need?
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I know all the exits very well, I live just three miles west of Congress & Barry Rd across from Weatherby Lake.  And I can say I don't think I've seen so many one-direction roads in a couple mile stretch that you see there on MO-152.

And I think its because I live in the area that I find it a pain.  Sure, if you're just visiting from another part of the city it doesn't seem so bad.  But when I have to drive those intersections every day, generally more than once a day, you tend to notice how aweful the set up really is.

I will say that the widening of Barry just to Congress will help tremendously with the horrendous backup you get going west-bound on Barry under I-29.  On weekends traffic typically is backed up from the ZR entrance back to the lights under I-29 which then backs up traffic back to the entrance to the AMC theater area, which then at that light it backs up to the next light down by the hospital.  All because everyone has to queue up in one lane to get through.

Over the last week they've started to open up those extra lanes in that couple block area from ZR to Congress, so I expect a fairly tremendous reduction in traffic.

And I'm not saying its worse than other intersections in the city, I certainly realize hell exists over by Independence Center at 39 & 291, down at Metcalf and I-435, 119th and I-35, etc.  But just because an intersection has company doesn't mean its okay to be a crap intersection.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

SWFan wrote: I know all the exits very well, I live just three miles west of Congress & Barry Rd across from Weatherby Lake.  And I can say I don't think I've seen so many one-direction roads in a couple mile stretch that you see there on MO-152.

And I think its because I live in the area that I find it a pain.  Sure, if you're just visiting from another part of the city it doesn't seem so bad.  But when I have to drive those intersections every day, generally more than once a day, you tend to notice how aweful the set up really is.

I will say that the widening of Barry just to Congress will help tremendously with the horrendous backup you get going west-bound on Barry under I-29.  On weekends traffic typically is backed up from the ZR entrance back to the lights under I-29 which then backs up traffic back to the entrance to the AMC theater area, which then at that light it backs up to the next light down by the hospital.  All because everyone has to queue up in one lane to get through.

Over the last week they've started to open up those extra lanes in that couple block area from ZR to Congress, so I expect a fairly tremendous reduction in traffic.

And I'm not saying its worse than other intersections in the city, I certainly realize hell exists over by Independence Center at 39 & 291, down at Metcalf and I-435, 119th and I-35, etc.  But just because an intersection has company doesn't mean its okay to be a crap intersection.
I live in the area and drive through it everyday also.  I'm about 2 blocks north of zona rosa.  Maybe I need to take you for a ride sometime and show you how a pimp does it.  :lol:

I bet I know exactly where you live.  The name of the subdivision escapes me now though.  Sump'n Sump'n West.  It should be a cake walk for you.  Remember, Amity Rd. is your friend.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Yes, I live in Wildwood West.  And I know Amity very well.  I take Amity to get on MO-152.  I also take Amity all the way north to where it curves around and becomes 120th street and connects with Prairie View Rd.  I work in one of the office buildings right there.  I've lived and worked in the Northland for 5 years now and know most of the workarounds to the poor intersections.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory1.html

Cousins Properties Inc. is one step closer to establishing nearly 1 million square feet of new retail space in the Northland.

The Atlanta-based real estate development company gained approval from the Kansas City Plan Commission on Nov. 21 to rezone more than 100 acres for business and commercial use. 

The combined 949,000 square feet of retail space will be at the northeast corner of Interstate 29 and Missouri Highway 152. The City Council will vote on the rezoning request in December.

Cousins initially will develop 667,000 square feet of the property in line with its MarketCenter concept, spokesman Matt Gove said. That design groups a few big-box retailers and several smaller tenants around a central parking lot.

The development probably will cost $100 million to $133 million, said Kevin Nunnink, a retail real estate expert with Integra Realty Resources.

Cousins will keep the remaining 282,000 square feet of retail space for future expansions.

Gove said that Cousins is in discussions with several prospective tenants for the first phase but that it won't disclose specific retailers until spring. Target, PetsMart and Payless Shoe Source are key tenants at three of the company's five MarketCenter developments.

Demographics are a primary factor in determining where Cousins locates new retail developments, Gove said. About 80,000 people live within a 5-mile radius of its proposed development in the Northland. That figure is projected to increase by 1.9 percent annually between now and 2011, compared with a 3 percent growth rate since 1990, according to demographics company Sites USA. The median household income within the five-mile radius is $65,025.

The project will be across from Zona Rosa. Within the next year, Zona Rosa will nearly double in size with the addition of about 500,000 square feet of retail, office and residential space. In addition, a 250,000-square-foot shopping center is in the works two miles west of the Cousins site. To the east, a Denver-based development company plans to redevelop Metro North mall into a 2.1 million-square-foot mixed-use center.

The jury is still out on whether so much retail can thrive in the Northland, a market that historically has been underserved by retail, Nunnink said.

"Once these developments are built, it certainly will not be underserved," he said.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Tiffany Springs Market Center

Post by Thrillcekr »

I think they're about done with this property for awhile.  The dozers have been gone for a couple weeks.  I guess there won't be anymore activity until they're ready to start pouring concrete.  Not that I really give a rats ass.  I occassionally go to Target but I have no use for a Payless or PetsMart.  I hope they can come up with something more significant than that.  Like Costco.  :D
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Tiffany Springs Market Center-Tenants you'd like to see

Post by Thrillcekr »

Check it out.  I wrote to the project manager from Cousin's Properties for this region with a couple suggestions and here was his response.

"Thank you for your comments about Tiffany Springs MarketCenter. I have had
discussions with Costco, but they are not ready to put another store in
metropolitan Kansas City at this time. That certainly does not mean we have
given up on them, but we can not rely on Costco being part of our center today.
As to the other retailers and restaurants, we are actively pursuing many of the
tenants you mentioned and many others. I will pass on your comments to our
leasing folks to make sure that we have left no stone unturned. You and your
neighbors have to like what we bring to the market, so we are very interested in
your thoughts and preferences. Otherwise, our development and our retailers will
not be successful. Please keep the comments coming."

It sounds to me like he's very interested to know what people would like to see there so I thought I'd start up this thread so people could post any ideas they might have concerning tenants.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Tiffany Springs Market Center-Tenants you'd like to see

Post by nota »

Ritz or Wolf Camera.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Tiffany Springs Market Center-Tenants you'd like to see

Post by SWFan »

1.  Frys (first KC location)
2.  Best Buy
3.  Pei Wei
4.  PF Changs
5.  Adidas
6.  Illuminations
7.  Lord and Taylor
8.  Some kind of shoe store with a significant men's shoes section
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Story on this in today's Star :

Tiffany Springs Market Center design evolves

By MIKE RICE - The Kansas City Star

Home Depot, Target and Best Buy are among the tenants that will occupy a 926,000-square-foot retail development at the northeast corner of Interstate 29 and Missouri 152.

Construction on the Northland development, called Tiffany Springs Market Center, will begin this year, according to the Atlanta-based developer Cousins Properties. The 106-acre property, bounded by the two major thoroughfares, Ambassador Drive and Tiffany Springs Road, has already been graded.

Plans submitted to Kansas City call for 37 businesses that will be built in two phases. The first phase will be on the south side and will provide more than 644,000 square feet of retail space.

Famous Footwear and Petsmart are other retailers that have signed letters of intent to locate there, said David Knotts, vice president of retail and business development for Cousins Properties.

The rest : http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 395196.htm
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

If anyone here has any suggestions for things they'd like to see in this center you can send an email to the dude in charge of this project.  I've shot him a few emails and he says he really wants to hear from people living in the area to see what they're interested in. 

AlexChambers@cousinsproperties.com