OFFICIAL: Tuilleries Plaza

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Tuilleries Plaza

Post by nota »

chrizow wrote: Tivol is upscale.  a thief stole two necklaces from the Plaza store yesterday - one valued at $140,000, the other valued at $160,000.   :)

Thief snatches $307,000 in jewelry

KANSAS CITY | Someone stole two necklaces worth a combined $307,000 from a Plaza jewelry store Thursday night, police said.

The thief entered Tivol, 220 Nichols Road, and browsed several minutes before an employee took the necklaces from a case to show the customer. After looking for a minute, the thief snatched the jewelry from the employee and ran, according to reports.

A police officer working off-duty at the store gave chase on foot. Other officers joined the chase before losing the thief. One necklace was worth $164,880 and the other $142,995, according to police reports.
Every time I've ever been in that store, (which is not often) the cop is always "chinning" with the girls. I realize that he is supposed to be low profile there, but he still needs to pay attention. In most jewelry stores, the employee is only supposed to get out one piece at a time to show.

I doubt many jewelry stores in the area have that kind of jewelry in their showcases. Tiffanys, Mierrottos maybe for sure, but not too many others. At least it was more of a shoplifting from the sounds of it than an armed robbery.
NDgravy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NDgravy »

Thrillcekr wrote: Really, it almost sounds to me like your expectations of the place are pretty much on the money and those are reasonable ones.  Others on here seem to have expected something much more majestic than that and nowhere did anyone ever say it was going to be.
Then we agree.  I am really somewhat talking out of my ass, since I have only had a chance to look at the companies website.  I am slightly unerwhelmed by the mix of tennants currently, but I realize they also aren't finished yet.  I am sure it will be better when it is more complete.  I was really trying to justify why some people would be making the place more grandiose.  I do believe that the developer over sales the place with comments about Rome, and how the place will be like nothing else in Kansas City put a lot of pressure for the place to be something it isn't.  Even if that is just people reading into it too much.  Which I wouldn't blame them for doing. 

As a bit of a tangent, I just personally don't think that the city can really support that destination type of retail in more than one spot, and maybe two if you want to count the area surrounding Town Center (which is a suburban destination, so this statement is based more on the store mix than the architecture, etc. - They do have Crate & Barrel and other top stores in the area).  I think that places like Village West, Briarcliff and Zona Rosa are also places that have destination written on them as they might have unique stores and restaurants, but in the end they are more for locals (except for places like Cabellas and Nebraska Furniture Mart at VW, but it's still not the place I would show off to my family and friends when they come to KC).  What KC really needs is the local boutique store area, like Armitage in Lincoln Park and Damen in Bucktown (both in Chicago), or Magazine street in New Orleans.  Those are the type of areas that I have found really impress my family and friends, because they are usually much cuter than places like Canal Street and Michigan Avenue.  I realize Brookside has these elements, but I hope that some part of the crossroads can step up and match those fun boutique areas.

One other thought real quickly, I do think the P&L can be a good draw and a destination, due to it's location in downtown.  Sorry for the long tangent away from the North of the River discussions.
mizzouman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mizzouman »

Thrillcekr what did you find out on the zip code deal for Piropos?  Did your lady friend confirm what I had said.....just interested.

seperate note, they are completly tearing out 63rd Terrace street right down the middle, it looks like crap and I'm sure the tenants are pissed.  But @ least they are doing it in sections.  So the whole park doesn't get screwed at once....and they are putting detours through.....it will just be interesting how long the whole deal will take to complete...since all of there other construction has taken longer that originally planned.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

mizzouman wrote: Thrillcekr what did you find out on the zip code deal for Piropos?  Did your lady friend confirm what I had said.....just interested.

seperate note, they are completly tearing out 63rd Terrace street right down the middle, it looks like crap and I'm sure the tenants are pissed.  But @ least they are doing it in sections.  So the whole park doesn't get screwed at once....and they are putting detours through.....it will just be interesting how long the whole deal will take to complete...since all of there other construction has taken longer that originally planned.

Actually, I forgot all about it but I'll be talking to her again soon so I'll try to remember to ask.
mizzouman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mizzouman »

Anybody see anything going on, new at this place?  That Pizzo's sign has been up for three months, but yet they haven't started any work?  Building more buildings in the back but not a whole lot of new tenants.

I heard that Fox N the Hound was coming in, by the Community America building.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Pizzo's sign is gone. I don't know for how long. Building is still empty.
mizzouman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mizzouman »

Any new news on this development.  I live just down the street, and there seems to be more traffic in the park.  But still lots of empty buildings. 

I had heard a 2-rink Ice Hockey/Skating Facility 60,000 sq ft was coming in?  The one in nearby Waukomis Drive was leaving & moving to Tuileries.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mizzouman wrote: Any new news on this development.  I live just down the street, and there seems to be more traffic in the park.  But still lots of empty buildings. 

I had heard a 2-rink Ice Hockey/Skating Facility 60,000 sq ft was coming in?  The one in nearby Waukomis Drive was leaving & moving to Tuileries.
I have never heard this and I tend to know about this stuff.

Where did you hear this?  If it's true, it's about freaking time something like this came to the northland.

Although Line Creek is a city funded rink, so how would that "move" to the Tuilleries area?  Funk wants to close Line Creek (ie, give northland residents reasons to move to other suburbs that do have nice community centers) and that would leave the entire MO side of the metro area without an ice rink till the one next to the Independence Events Center opens.  Crazy.
mizzouman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mizzouman »

Heard it from one of the tenants in Tuileries where I get my dry cleaning done. Something about the city is moving/closing down the rink in Waukomis, because of the Indian Burial Ground below in the land?

I agree, my kids would LOVE to have a complex somewhat comparable to Pepsi Ice Midwest that's out south.  Plus it would bring new people to our area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Indian village in Line Creek Park was excavated extensively nearly 40 years ago and the Hopewell peoples have no traceable lineage to any current historic tribes.
Psalm B H
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Psalm B H »

Sat next to a guy today at a bar in the Northland and he owns a store in the Tuileries and he said he hasn't heard anything of new stores there. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/1115026.html

The Northland’s Tuileries Plaza has signed three new tenants.

•Northlanders Patrick Williams and Mike Churchman have partnered with executive chef Michael Peterson, formerly with TrezoMare/Trezo Vino restaurant group and PB&J Restaurants Inc., to create a new pizza concept....

•Fringe, locally owned salon offering cuts, color, extensions and skin care treatments, has opened at 5916 N.W. 63rd Terrace.

•Little Sunshine’s Playhouse and Preschool is scheduled to open this fall.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

All-Star Pizza and Pub now open.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

NorthlandGuy wrote: All-Star Pizza and Pub now open.
Everytime I drive past there in the late evening (10-11pm), All-Star Pizza is always crowded with the parking lot packed.  I guess it's a good fit in that location.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Post Apartment Complex Planned South of Tuilleries Plaza

Briarcliff Realty is planning a 298-unit luxury apartment complex, called Village at Burlington Creek, south of Tuilleries Plaza at NW 63rd Street and North Cosby. The project is about six miles from the Briarcliff development.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/07/33 ... anned.html

The site.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Posh apartment complex planned near Tuileries Plaza
The apartment complex would have seven four-story buildings and a clubhouse on an 11-acre site at the southwest corner of Northwest 63rd Street and North Cosby Avenue. It would be next to the Tuileries Plaza development that opened in 2005. Its quality will resemble the 263-unit Briarcliff City Apartments development that was finished last year at Briarcliff, Hagedorn said.

The developer declined to reveal the cost of the new Burlington Creek project. Monthly rents will range from $800 to $900 for one-bedroom apartments, and $1,400 to $1,500 for two- and three-bedroom units.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Briarcliff Realty buys Tuilleries Plaza

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... l?ana=e_ph
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

FangKC wrote:Briarcliff Realty buys Tuilleries Plaza

This is actually really good news for the Northland folks. Too bad nota isn't here to read this.

Love or hate Briarcliff-- they do a pretty freaking good job with their properties. They know how to keep the retail full and active and get the right neighborhood mix in there. I'll be excited to see what they do with Tuileries. I bet they bought the place for dirt cheap too.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote:
FangKC wrote:Briarcliff Realty buys Tuilleries Plaza

This is actually really good news for the Northland folks. Too bad nota isn't here to read this.

Love or hate Briarcliff-- they do a pretty freaking good job with their properties. They know how to keep the retail full and active and get the right neighborhood mix in there. I'll be excited to see what they do with Tuileries. I bet they bought the place for dirt cheap too.
Agree with all of this.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »