OFFICIAL: Tuilleries Plaza

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Tuilleries Plaza

Post by nota »

Still no destination there.

The Brazilian restaurant at least took over the place where Pacific Grill was.

Driving through there this week, it is still less than half occupied. Most of the storefronts say for lease or available, etc.

Scary.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

You're right again just like you were about Zona Rosa.  It's gonna be a complete failure.  Probably gonna go belly up tommorrow. :lol:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nota wrote: Still no destination there.

The Brazilian restaurant at least took over the place where Pacific Grill was.

Driving through there this week, it is still less than half occupied. Most of the storefronts say for lease or available, etc.

Scary.
I think you would be more comfortable living in Raytown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

There is an aweful lot of homes in that area, from 29 to 435 and upscale too.  It might take some time, but that shopping center will be fine.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL: Tuilleries Plaza (A touch of Brazil for KC)

Post by Pork Chop »

A churrascaria is finally opening here in KC....

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 629966.htm
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: OFFICIAL: Tuilleries Plaza

Post by mean »

Damn, there goes my million dollar idea. :(
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

It sounds great, but it really has to be done very very well in order to be successful. I am looking forward to trying it.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

i ate at a fantastic place just like this in salt lake city the summer after my senior year of high school.  the food was delicious and the big group i was with had a great time.

the unfortunate part, however, is the price ($29 a plate before drinks).
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That's nothing, Fogo is $50 a plate in Chicago...I'm excited that it's only $29! ;)
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

that's quite true.  considering the type of place it is and the price point for restaurants like it in other cities, $29 isn't too bad.  it's just unfortunate it can't be a place that you can go to all the time instead of a couple of times a year.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

The directory has been updated.  There are a few new places on there.  WTF is Pizzos?
mizzouman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mizzouman »

Pizzos I believe is an Italian deli and bistro...lunch and light dinner. 

This developer does need to get more tenants in, with all those open buildings.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Lots of activity going on there of late, but no new businesses-at least not any that are a "destination." They are replacing a lot of the brick streets that didn't winter well as well as lots of signing. Still more construction vehicles there than customers. Except for Bonefish.

As a point of reference, both Briarcliff and Zona broke ground AFTER Tuileries. I really believe that Briarcliff got some of the businesses that were going to go to Tuileries in the beginning.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I never once saw something said or printed where they claimed they were gonna be anything other than a neighborhood shopping center.  However, Bonefish is drawing good crowds daily.  With so few seafood places north of the river it's sort of a destination.  Also, Em Chamas.  To my knowledge there is no place like that ANYWHERE in the metro so that could very well count as a destination too.  I'll wait until I try it before I form an opinion on whether it's worth travelling from outside the northland to eat at though.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Thrillcekr wrote: I never once saw something said or printed where they claimed they were gonna be anything other than a neighborhood shopping center.  However, Bonefish is drawing good crowds daily.  With so few seafood places north of the river it's sort of a destination.  Also, Em Chamas.  To my knowledge there is no place like that ANYWHERE in the metro so that could very well count as a destination too.  I'll wait until I try it before I form an opinion on whether it's worth travelling from outside the northland to eat at though.
GEEZ! In the beginning, Tivol was one of the ones that were to go there. Brighton also. Cheesecake Factory and Changs. I've forgotten the others, but there were several.

None of my neighbors like Em Chamas. They say it is a once or twice place. Not that the food was bad.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

nota wrote: GEEZ! In the beginning, Tivol was one of the ones that were to go there. Brighton also. Cheesecake Factory and Changs. I've forgotten the others, but there were several.

None of my neighbors like Em Chamas. They say it is a once or twice place. Not that the food was bad.
No, in the beginning people were speculating all of those places were going in.  None of those places were ever posted on their website or said to be going in by anyone important or directly involved with the project.  Most of what you heard was just gossip by someone without a clue. 

Tivol?  Big deal.  Would that make it a destination if they were going in there?  It's a freakin' jewelry store.  We have those all over the northland.  It sure wouldn't get me out of my recliner.  Tivol's about as much a "destination" as a freakin' CVS in my book.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Thrillcekr wrote: No, in the beginning people were speculating all of those places were going in.  None of those places were ever posted on their website or said to be going in by anyone important or directly involved with the project.  Most of what you heard was just gossip by someone without a clue. 

Tivol?  Big deal.  Would that make it a destination if they were going in there?  It's a freakin' jewelry store.  We have those all over the northland.  It sure wouldn't get me out of my recliner.  Tivol's about as much a "destination" as a freakin' CVS in my book.

Nowhere did I say Tivol was a destination. But the newspaper articles I read way back when mentioned these places and more and said that Tuileries was going to be an "upscale center with fine dining, shopping, and residential and office. None of that is there.
mizzouman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mizzouman »

I would say that Em Chamas is definently a destination....no place like it in the city and very affordable for what your getting.  $29 for what you are getting is unbelievable...the food is very good.  Plus young local ownership!

It's just not a place that you would go to more than once every two months or so.

I think the speculation on tenants came from Tuilleries hiring NMI as the leasing agent....and them hoping/rumoring who they would LIKE to get....but not having the contacts to do so.
They've now since went with CB Richard Ellis....much more national connections.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Thrillcekr wrote: Tivol?  Big deal.  Would that make it a destination if they were going in there?  It's a freakin' jewelry store.  We have those all over the northland.  It sure wouldn't get me out of my recliner.  Tivol's about as much a "destination" as a freakin' CVS in my book.

Tivol is definitely an upscale destination. It is not a normal store like Zales because they carry stuff like David Yurman + Cartier. It's like saying something like Standard Style Boutique is just another clothing store. Yes and no...
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

nota wrote: Nowhere did I say Tivol was a destination. But the newspaper articles I read way back when mentioned these places and more and said that Tuileries was going to be an "upscale center with fine dining, shopping, and residential and office. None of that is there.
I'm not gonna say you didn't read that.  It's possible.  However, I never saw anything about any of those places other than I do think I remember seeing something about Tivol having an interest.  Their site never said anything like that and nobody related to the project did either.  

None of those places you spoke of are a real big deal though.  Cheesecake Factory?  Em Chamas and Bonefish are every bit as upscale as Cheesecake Factory if that's what upscale is.  More so if you ask me.  Changs is alright but practically anyone can afford to eat there so it can't be all that "upscale".

Personally, I can't see it.  You can tell by the design of the place that it really wasn't intended to be what you expected.  It looks like just what it is.  A neighborhood shopping center.  

Also, I'm pretty sure a traffic study would discourage anyplace considered to be truly upscale from locating there.  Someplace that's truly upscale can afford to locate wherever it wants and you can believe Barry Road would be a lot further up on their liist of high profile places to locate than 64th Street which isn't nearly as well travelled.  Not many offices or places of employment there.  It's mostly travelled by people who reside in the area.  There are several other places in the northland that would  make a lot more sense than 64th Street for an upscale shopping center because of that reason alone.