Metro North Mall

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Metro North Mall

Post by shaffe »

That's why you need to make it a draw for more than those that live within two miles. By utilizing higher end retailers that aren't any closer than Oak Park or southern JoCo you draw form the entire northland, especially Platte county. It's so easy to get to Metro North from as far away as 15 miles thanks to it's proximity to 169, 152, and Barry that it could very easily be a semi metrowide draw.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

shaffe wrote:The only way this will work is if, like was previously mentioned, this mall tries to go for the higher end stores. I don't think the northland can support 3 Macys/Dillards/JC Penny shopping centers, but if this project tries to become more of a St. Louis Plaza Frontenac type shopping center then it might carve out a niche.

Nordstrom is a must here IMO.

Can this area support 2 Nordstroms? St. Louis can with a shrinking population
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Isn't this a little too close to Zona Rosa for most chains?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

pstokely wrote:
shaffe wrote:The only way this will work is if, like was previously mentioned, this mall tries to go for the higher end stores. I don't think the northland can support 3 Macys/Dillards/JC Penny shopping centers, but if this project tries to become more of a St. Louis Plaza Frontenac type shopping center then it might carve out a niche.

St Louis itself may be shrinking but its metro isn't. And its metro is about 30% larger than KC's.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Isn't the immediate area around Metro North a little rundown? I'm talking about across Barry Road. And is the center anchored by Kohl's to the west thriving? Because I can't see a high-end store like Nordstrom being dropped into anything less than a high-end development.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mistervinix wrote:Isn't the immediate area around Metro North a little rundown? I'm talking about across Barry Road. And is the center anchored by Kohl's to the west thriving? Because I can't see a high-end store like Nordstrom being dropped into anything less than a high-end development.
the whole area needs work. hopefully the process of adding 30K people into the immediate area NE of 152 and 169 helps revitalize this area.

the shopping center to the south of metro north has a long-empty movie theatre, best buy left and the rest is Children's Mercy + Toys R Us basically. he garden place is gone. there's still an empty outlot space they never developed too. tte restaurant spaces have stayed filled

the one across 169 is Target and Kohls and babies r us. the rest are hard to fill. kept seeing them come and go. Last time I was there it was half empty for the big stores and the outlots were still half grass. firestone moved there from next to the mall recently which really didn't help either area much

the next one to the west is only Joanns. Ultimate Electronics building is still empty and nothing else has been added

to the east towards Barry is rather run down overall.

the NE corner of Barry and N Oak still hasn't filled in completely at well. saw construction recently at it, a bank I think
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
pstokely wrote:

St Louis itself may be shrinking but its metro isn't. And its metro is about 30% larger than KC's.
actually, the census shows the population of the St. Louis area shrinking, while the KC area is static
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Just going by this article from 2012.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/.../ ... es-28-...‎

Well, it appears the St. Louis area is increasing its head count.

According to On Numbers, an affiliated publication, the St. Louis metro area reached an estimated total of about 2,830,000 people today. That number is up from April last year when the actual population was 2,812,896.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Just going by this article from 2012.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/.../ ... es-28-...‎

Well, it appears the St. Louis area is increasing its head count.

According to On Numbers, an affiliated publication, the St. Louis metro area reached an estimated total of about 2,830,000 people today. That number is up from April last year when the actual population was 2,812,896.
why did STL lose a house seat then, other than Republican gerrymandering?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pstokely wrote:
Apportionment corresponds roughly to the aggregrate US population at the last census (with the caveat that every state is guaranteed at least one seat). So its relative.

Also, rampant Republican gerrymandering.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

And if the Dems were in charge there would have been Democratic gerrymandering.

In reality MO is mostly a GOP state if you look at the numbers in the MO House and Senate. Missouri as a whole was losing a Congressional District so if you were a GOP member how would you redraw the Districts?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And if the Dems were in charge there would have been Democratic gerrymandering.
Deflect! Deflect!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

No. Politics. Politics.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

chingon wrote:
pstokely wrote:
Apportionment corresponds roughly to the aggregrate US population at the last census (with the caveat that every state is guaranteed at least one seat). So its relative.

Other states also outgrew MO
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
And if the Dems were in charge there would have been Democratic gerrymandering.

In reality MO is mostly a GOP state if you look at the numbers in the MO House and Senate. Missouri as a whole was losing a Congressional District so if you were a GOP member how would you redraw the Districts?
You can't call MO a solid GOP state like KS, some states that went to Obama by double digits also have GOP controlled legislature
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:No. Politics. Politics.
But can this area support 2 Nordstroms like STL can? I don't expect many chains to open there after moving to Zona Rosa, this might work if it was closer to I435 and I35, but most of the wealth in this area is along the State Line corridor, not of lot 1%ers north of the river
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: In reality MO is mostly a GOP state if you look at the numbers in the MO House and Senate.
Of course, in real reality, Missouri voters identify as Democrat or "lean Democrat" by a 10 point higher margin than Republican or lean Republican (48% D, 37 R).

Which is the problem with gerrymandering. And yes, Democrats do it when and where they can...including MO in this apportionment process. But the make up of the state house is GROSSLY misrepresentative of the actual politics of the state, due ENTIRELY to political chicanery, gamesmanship and outright subversion of the representative democratic process.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pstokely wrote:
Other states also outgrew MO
No also about it, that was exactly my point: that US congressional seats are set relative to the total US pop.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:No. Politics. Politics.
Nice try. Saying that the other party would have done the same thing doesn't excuse the fact that the GOP actually did those things.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Saying that the other party would have done the same thing doesn't excuse the fact that the GOP actually did those things.
I wasn't trying to excuse it. That's just how the political game is played. If you have the advantage you use it, like the saying "Use it or lose it."
Of course, in real reality, Missouri voters identify as Democrat or "lean Democrat" by a 10 point higher margin than Republican or lean Republican (48% D, 37 R).

Which is the problem with gerrymandering. And yes, Democrats do it when and where they can...including MO in this apportionment process. But the make up of the state house is GROSSLY misrepresentative of the actual politics of the state, due ENTIRELY to political chicanery, gamesmanship and outright subversion of the representative democratic process.
Not sure where your numbers come from. With a State Senate leaning 28 to 10 GOP and a State House leaning 110 to 53 GOP either the state leans GOP or the Dems don't vote. So if your numbers are correct it is not a case of chicanery, gamesmanship, or subversion - it is a case of one side voting and the other side not voting. You are only counted when it counts when you vote. The Dems have only themselves to blame.
But can this area support 2 Nordstroms like STL can?
To get back to this topic my answer would be NO. Doesn't have the population.