Metro North Mall

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Metro North Mall

Post by Gladstoner »

chrizow wrote: owner of metro north and metcalf south has died. 
He has two mausoleums waiting if needed.
A fool and your money are soon united.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It looks like JC Penny is part of the Streets at Barrytowne project.  There ia a pennys at 152 & 35 and one going up at 152 & 29.  I'm surprised they will keep 169 location.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote: It looks like JC Penny is part of the Streets at Barrytowne project.  There ia a pennys at 152 & 35 and one going up at 152 & 29.  I'm surprised they will keep 169 location.
Penny's is in expansion mode in KC.  They are adding one on Adams Dairy Parkway in Blue Springs, not far from the new one in Independence.  And I think another one in Lee's Summit.  They seem to be bringing it to Kohl's.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Looks like rehabbing a mall by ripping its roof off. I can not figure out with the convenience of an indoor facility why there are more areas going to outdoor shopping centers. With extremes of hot and cold in this area, I would think that getting into a shopping arena with constant temperature would be a welcome sight to any shopper. With the design of the shopping center to replace Metro North, it looks like they are in fact loosing retail space by cutting out one floor.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

anniewarbucks wrote: Looks like rehabbing a mall by ripping its roof off. I can not figure out with the convenience of an indoor facility why there are more areas going to outdoor shopping centers.
Um, look around!  It's a national trend towards more neighborhood-like Main Street trail.  No one is building a new enclosed mall anywhere in the country.  This time next year KC will only have two traditional enclosed malls remaining (Independence and Oak Park).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Are the buildings in the top part of the rendering residential buildings?
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I thought this plan was shuttered?
GRID wrote: It looks like JC Penny is part of the Streets at Barrytowne project.  There ia a pennys at 152 & 35 and one going up at 152 & 29.  I'm surprised they will keep 169 location.
Perhaps the anchor structures will remain, but not as the original department stores. Dillard's is already a clearance center which is usually a sign it is close to closing. I doubt JCP + Dillard's want a store at Metro North and 152 + Barry. If both are leaving, the site plan would change dramatically. In many cases when a department store leaves a mall it is being replaced by an entertainment or restaurant component.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the dillard's clearance center will absolutely close when their new zona rosa location opens. every single clerk there has mentioned it on multiple occasions.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

dangerboy wrote: Um, look around!  It's a national trend towards more neighborhood-like Main Street trail.  No one is building a new enclosed mall anywhere in the country. 
But annie has a valid point, one that I've seen raised time and time again in the press and elsewhere. So again: Once the new wears off of these shopping centers, do they do more or less business than enclosed malls? And do these designs fare better in areas that don't get extremes of heat and cold, rain and snow?

Is there any research on this?
Jason
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jason »

I don't get it either, I will take shopping at an indoor mall anytime over the lifestyle centers.  Who wants to be outside during the winter months when most of these stores make their most sales anyway.....

The ideal option for retailers and consumers would be for most of these stores to have street entrances AND have the inside enclosed for people to go in-between the stores in comfort.  That gives the retailers a street view marketing identity (which most want) and convenience.  I know that means maintaining 2 entrances, but there are plenty of places that do this with success.

Independence Center almost got it right with the addition at the front, but alas, those stores have NO entrance inside the mall, just the outside entrances......now do that all around a mall with inside entrances as well....then both camps can be satisfied....
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Jason wrote: I don't get it either, I will take shopping at an indoor mall anytime over the lifestyle centers.  Who wants to be outside during the winter months when most of these stores make their most sales anyway.....
So someone needs to tell the Country Club Plaza, Michigan Avenue in Chicago, 5th Avenue in New York that they need to build roofs or people will stop shopping there :)
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

That's what the fire pits with drink service are for in P&L!  Oh wait, the drink service is "seasonal".  (Stupid IMO, serve kahlua and coffee.) 
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

dangerboy wrote: So someone needs to tell the Country Club Plaza, Michigan Avenue in Chicago, 5th Avenue in New York that they need to build roofs or people will stop shopping there :)
They shop there because of the retailers, not because of the open-air design.
Jason
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jason »

dangerboy wrote: So someone needs to tell the Country Club Plaza, Michigan Avenue in Chicago, 5th Avenue in New York that they need to build roofs or people will stop shopping there :)
Good point, maybe someone should send an email to Mall of America and West Edmonton mall and tell them to rip off the roof if they really want to do business....clearly they are not aware that the mall concept is dead....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Jason wrote: Good point, maybe someone should send an email to Mall of America and West Edmonton mall and tell them to rip off the roof if they really want to do business....clearly they are not aware that the mall concept is dead....
i strongly believe that if you put all of those retailers in downtown minneapolis (including the amusement park) and kept the surroundings as clean, as many people would still flock there.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Plans Revealed II

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Although it was not on the Channel 9 broadcast this a.m., the radio has announced that the Metro North Mall (see Kansas Suburbs) renovation is also part of the announcement.
Good news for the Northland.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

Thats news story doesnt say anything about Metro North's redevelopment? That area of Barry Road really needs some push, so many retailers have moved to the west of 69 near Zona Rosa. The Streets at Barrytowne would be awesome and would hopefully boost the area upward again. The only thing is, are all these new developments going to survive being so close to each other. Streets At Barrytowne, Streets at Shoal Creek, Whitehall Station, Zona Rosa, Tiffany Springs Market Center, Riverstone. With the economy not doing so good, I hope they all do well.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

drramos101 wrote: Thats news story doesnt say anything about Metro North's redevelopment? That area of Barry Road really needs some push, so many retailers have moved to the west of 69 near Zona Rosa. The Streets at Barrytowne would be awesome and would hopefully boost the area upward again. The only thing is, are all these new developments going to survive being so close to each other. Streets At Barrytowne, Streets at Shoal Creek, Whitehall Station, Zona Rosa, Tiffany Springs Market Center, Riverstone. With the economy not doing so good, I hope they all do well.
My bad, I should have explained.  I heard on the radio news that plans were released for both properties.  I have not yet seen in the Bizjournal or KCStar yet.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I went into Metro North Thursday to Lenscrafters and EyeMasters to look at frames. I walked through the mall and it was sad to see so many closed stores.
There is no fifth destination.