Metro North Mall

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Metro North Mall

Post by im2kull »

This is a retarded idea...why would I choose an "outdoor" metro north when there's an "outdoor" zona rosa right next door?

I must be seeing double...

or was that hillarys chins?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

My sentiments exactly im2kull. I have never been to Zona Rosa but I am wondering why they would want to place a copycat development in the same area. it sounds to me like they are just trying to extend Zona Rosa to the East.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
MissKris816
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MissKris816 »

im2kull wrote: This is a retarded idea...why would I choose an "outdoor" metro north when there's an "outdoor" zona rosa right next door?

I must be seeing double...

I'm looking forward to this new "outdoor" Metro North, although I would prefer an indoor mall. I live right in the middle between Zona Rosa and Metro North, so I'm anxious to have access to all these stores within minutes from my home.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

What is the status of the plans for redevelopment of Metro North?

Now that both Dillard's and Penny's are leaving I can't imagine that the mall will stay open much longer.

I would like to see Macy's build a new store there as part of a mixed-use  redevelopment. This is a great opportunity for that land to be better utilized. All that parking lot behind the mall near the old AMC Metro North Plaza theater is a sad and desolate waste of some prime real estate.

I'm glad the found a new user in Steve and Barry's for the old Dicks store.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It will go from prime real estate to forlorn empty lot soon. I very seriously doubt anyone will be interested in demolishing the mall to build something else, when all you have to demolish to build nearby is corn.
electric warrior
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by electric warrior »

Metro has smelled indian springsy since they closed the inside movie theater. That must have been early 90s?
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

The Mall is looking pretty forlorn. To make matters worse will be the closed Best Buy across the street when the new one by Zona Rosa opens.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
mizzouman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mizzouman »

That area is getting rougher and rougher by the day.  I feel bad for all those small business's across barry road from Metro that opened up...depending on the mall to be the big box/main attraction..for them to get business.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Just goes to show the city can't support all these huge districts that keep popping up all over town. We aren't Atlanta. A new one opens and the old version closes, it's just a cycle. Indoor Malls are gone here, the only one keeping up is Oak Park, besides Independence Center and for a city of 2 million those are sad, sad malls to represent our city, ive seen much better.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I have often wondered what the average lifespan of a mall is. The mall here in Topeka surprisingly is full of businesses but the sidewalks outside are showing their age with some crumbling badly. Even with the high cost of gas the mall does a surprising amount of business.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

According to the Star, MD is turning its focus on Metro North after the development deal with Alberta fell through. It doesn't seem like they're a good citizen, but they are redoing East Hills in St. Joe with the help of TIF.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Went to JC Penny at Metro North Mall.

I forgot how nice the Mall Locations are compared to their new freestanding stores.  They will close the Metro North Mall location when the Tiffany Springs store opens, which is a carbon copy of their other northland store near Liberty.

One of these days, KC is going to regret closing all its indoor malls and we well move back into them.  Then we will have these empty big box strip malls all over town.  Yippie.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I love JCP-do a lot of shopping there.

My one gripe about ALL JCP stores is that they are not very friendly to those on walkers or in wheelchairs. Their racks everywhere are waaaay too close together and they have no clear interior aisles for those people to shop and move around.

After I had my sis in a wheelchair for a few months, I learned a lot about this kind of thing.

Racks in stores shouldn't be so close together that the stuff touches you on both sides as you shop.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Went to JC Penny at Metro North Mall.

I forgot how nice the Mall Locations are compared to their new freestanding stores.  They will close the Metro North Mall location when the Tiffany Springs store opens, which is a carbon copy of their other northland store near Liberty.

One of these days, KC is going to regret closing all its indoor malls and we well move back into them.  Then we will have these empty big box strip malls all over town.  Yippie.
JCP is doing the Kohl's thing everywhere-- anchoring big box centers. It's evolution. I'm a fan of the hybrid centers that mix indoor/outdoor spaces (Steiner has a number of them). Metro North will have issues coming back if there are no anchors left for its redevelopment.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the dillard's clearance center is still open, in case anyone thought it had already closed down.
theotherone
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by theotherone »

Was just in last week, Talked to an employee who said the plan was to keep the Dillards open even after the new Dillards opens Nov 1 in Zona Rosa. She said the clearance center has been pretty successful and they would like to keep it open for the foreseeable future.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: Went to JC Penny at Metro North Mall.

Even if indoor malls come back, a lot of these malls that have closed down SUUUUUCKED. It wasn't as if Kansas City shut down popular malls because outdoor lifestyle centers were so cool. These places closed down because no one went to them anymore.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Bannister Mall sucked about as much as Oak Park and Independence Center in the 1990s... I guess the only difference is racial demographics...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
rwiggum
Surface Lot

Post by rwiggum »

Man, it just depresses me to go to Metro North anymore. I remember going up all the time as a kid and going to B Daltons and Waldenbooks and Software Etc, but it's just so damn depressing to look at. Dillards is the worst, though. It used to be so bustling and lively, but now it's just an expansive field of nothingness and burnt-out lightbulbs.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

We were shopping at the Metro North Target this past weekend.

It's good to see that target is still open after the Tiffany Springs store has opened.

It's even better, and more surprising to see the Best Buy there still open and the parking lot was full.

The Northland has 3 Best Buys now.  I thought they would close the Metro North location.